I think I've Sinned........

Right & Wrong
Homer

I think I've Sinned........

Post by Homer » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:57 pm

Yesterday while looking at the books at the St. Vincent DePaul thrift store I spotted almost a whole set (15 of 18 volumes) of the New International New Testament Commentary, edited by F. F. Bruce. All in almost new condition. Asked the lady in the book department how much if I bought all of them (hard bound books are $2.50 each) and she said $20 so I had a great bargain. Not only that but something to read while LOML shopped. Very pleased, went to the car and began reading I. Howard Marshall on John's epistles. Then there it was, commenting on 2 John 11, Marshall wrote:
....it can be urged that at a time when the content of Christian truth is uncertain and formulations of doctrine are increasingly diffuse we have no right to regard those who differ with us as upholders of "false doctrine"; rather we all hold inadequate concepts of Christian truth and must help one another to a better understanding of the faith. Today's heresy may well become tomorrow's orthodoxy.
Well, if I haven't outright said it I have at least "regarded it" so I confess it and repent of it.

I might add that I am sure Marshall meant this in regard to "non-essentials", whatever they might be.

steve7150

Re: I think I've Sinned........

Post by steve7150 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:10 pm

Well, if I haven't outright said it I have at least "regarded it" so I confess it and repent of it.

I might add that I am sure Marshall meant this in regard to "non-essentials", whatever they might be.
Homer

Private messageTop

So Homer does that mean you are becoming a CU? :lol:

Homer

Post by Homer » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:11 pm

So Homer does that mean you are becoming a CU?
Marshall said nothing about that. Seriously, I'm still of the opinion it is false. :shock: err...untrue, or, maybe I should say mistaken....even though well meaning, or something.

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:36 pm

So, was the sin getting the books for that cheap....? :lol:
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:49 pm

Well, I think the quote from Marshal is "right on the money"!

If we all took the quote to heart, we'd be in a position to make far better progress in our search together for truth and reality. :D
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

willowtree

Post by willowtree » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:08 pm

The grace of God that works in our lives is often much better than our cherished doctrines describe.

Thanks be to God for that.

Graeme
If you find yourself between a rock and a hard place, always head for the rock. Ps 62..

Homer

Post by Homer » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:51 pm

So, was the sin getting the books for that cheap....?
Price for latest version at CBD:
The New International Commentary on the New Testament [NICNT], 18 Vols.
Edited by Gordon D. Fee & Joel B. Green
Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co. / Hardcover $599.99
As I'm sure Thrombomodulin would say, they set the price and got what they asked, I got what I wanted for exactly the price I had in mind, so we are both happy, no sin on either side. And in my defense I was totally ignorant of what they sell for, both new and used. Now I need to find the three missing volumes at a price that will make me happy, which looks like a challenge from what I see on ebay. Incidentally, in the past I purchased a complete set of the ante-Nicene fathers, including the index volume, brand new, at St. Vinnies for $50. Goodwill sells books that are worth anything on ebay.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:46 am

[user account removed]
Last edited by dizerner on Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:04 am

dizerner wrote:That's a really great deal, Homer, congrats. I would just say, and I'm sure you agree, some truths are worth standing up for.
But with great humility

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jriccitelli

Post by jriccitelli » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:30 am

I was in heaven when i discovered the religious and Christian section at the used bookstores here. We buy most everything used or from Goodwill or Craigslist if we can (I believe God blesses frugalness that way). I have found way too many cool books searching used book stores but my favorites have been of course the really old books, recently a 1863 copy of 'The Forbidden Books Of The Original New Testament' it has a look to it like an old ancient bible, a couple 1890s Book of Mormons, a old rare Joseph Smith KJV translation (with the words of Jesus in Genesis), an odd old KJV printed for the LDS Church with their preface and such but the Dictionary in the back is from a very Trinitarian / saved by grace edition KJV. My wife saw an ad recently for a lot of old Christian books for free, and when we got to the address it was my old church I once attended, they had a take over by a 'new' up 'relevant' church and the new Pastors put the old church library out front on a table for free. We gleaned almost 30 books that were over a hundred years old, most all of them very interesting, and some of them commentaries. I might donate them to a church that cares, there are too many for me.

I am actually looking to donate part of my collection of books to a local church, a church or school that cares, that is. But after witnessing that last church’s feelings towards books, I wonder does anyone care anymore? I love the online search and amazing abilities of my computer, and I use it to the fullest, but still the use of the textbooks can’t be duplicated in every way by digital.

Return to “Ethics”