Romans 14:23 and the Christian`s business

Right & Wrong
Ian

Re: Romans 14:23 and the Christian`s business

Post by Ian » Tue May 26, 2015 6:17 am

I suppose I could broaden this to a general question about guidance. For example, right now my wife is undergoing chemotherapy for ovarian cancer. I dropped her off at the hospital this morning and we both now face the long wait for the tumour marker blood tests (which test whether last month`s chemo have had any good effect). It`s an anxious wait. Clearly I`m to pray during some of that wait. But am I to fast? I don`t know. Some would say, "don`t fast until God specifically tells you to. If He`s not in it then it`s a pointless endurance test". Another example of the same guidance conundrum I often have.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Tue May 26, 2015 6:22 am

Ian sorry we got caught up in exegesis while missing the real intention of your post. :D

I think we call all relate to trying hard to hear God right and constantly second-guessing our decisions and how well we heard. I'm puzzled why we don't get more guidance about practical things sometimes, but that's just the way life plays out. Once we ask for direction, I think we are forced to make a decision based on the best information we have at the time. But perhaps a couple of practical biblical advice could at least give us some basic wisdom: to ask God, then not worry, but trust. I agonize over even small things myself—even a single post. But after we seek first the kingdom, pray for God's will, hallow God's name, present our requests, give thanks, stay in peace, and don't doubt or worry, we've done our part.

Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait until the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of the heart. At that time each will receive their praise from God.

Ian

Post by Ian » Tue May 26, 2015 7:15 am

Great reply, thanks Dizerner.

Minutes after I clicked Submit, she rang from the hospital and told me her blood tumour markers had declined and she declared herself "very happy". Soon after, and following a short prayer of thanks, I was tucking into avocado and mayonnaise... ;)

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Tue May 26, 2015 10:25 am

Hi Ian,

I am happy for you and your wife on this news. I am sorry that I missed the practical importance in your question and got sidetracked onto something else. Enjoy the mayo! :D

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Tue May 26, 2015 10:30 am

Hi Dizerner,

My use of the term "mundane" was not far from what you suggested, though I was thinking of "ordinary" or "regular" activities. The difference I would make is this; If I pray or read the Bible for instruction, I consider this a spiritual, or "religious" activity, if you will. Likewise, if I engage in any behavior that I believe to be out of a sincere heart for the benefit of others, this too could be considered "spiritual." There is one sense in which our whole lives are technically "spiritual" since we are admonished to do everything wholeheartedly as unto the Lord. However, if we appraise things logically, there are some things we just do without thinking, and I can hardly envisage such as "religious" (like reading the back of my box of Cheerios while eating them).

In this passage, Paul expressly says that "all foods are clean." In saying this, he removes entirely the "religion" from the consumption of animals considered "unclean" and he strips the "sacred" from any particular day of the week. The only person that still considers there to be "religious" connections to the eating of certain foods or observing certain days above another, are those "weak" in their faith, not those "strong" in it. What am I missing?

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

nancyer

Post by nancyer » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:13 pm

I too am happy for you and your wife. Praise God!!!

I think I understand your question, and if I do it is something I struggle with regularly. I often hear other Christians talk about "God told me to....." or "I heard God speak to my heart" or "God put this on my heart...." I have yet to feel like I've experienced that. I don't for a second question God's nearness or presence but it is because I believe His Word, not because I truly feel that presence. I pray often that God would "speak" to me, make His will known to me, help me know He is with me. I also ask often for His guidance with a situation or concern. In the end, I do what I think is Biblical acceptable or correct through my conscience. Perhaps that was God

Continued prayers for you and your wife.?

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:40 pm

TheEditor wrote:Hi Dizerner,

My use of the term "mundane" was not far from what you suggested, though I was thinking of "ordinary" or "regular" activities. The difference I would make is this; If I pray or read the Bible for instruction, I consider this a spiritual, or "religious" activity, if you will. Likewise, if I engage in any behavior that I believe to be out of a sincere heart for the benefit of others, this too could be considered "spiritual." There is one sense in which our whole lives are technically "spiritual" since we are admonished to do everything wholeheartedly as unto the Lord. However, if we appraise things logically, there are some things we just do without thinking, and I can hardly envisage such as "religious" (like reading the back of my box of Cheerios while eating them).

In this passage, Paul expressly says that "all foods are clean." In saying this, he removes entirely the "religion" from the consumption of animals considered "unclean" and he strips the "sacred" from any particular day of the week. The only person that still considers there to be "religious" connections to the eating of certain foods or observing certain days above another, are those "weak" in their faith, not those "strong" in it. What am I missing?

Regards, Brenden.
Can reading the back of the box of your Cheerios cause your soul to perish?

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:25 pm

HI Dizerner,

I had to re-read the thread to understand how we came to this since it's a month old. I still don't see where I erred in my original paraphrase of Paul, and this reference to my Cheerios analogy doesn't help me much. :D Let's return to the previous statements. I wrote:

I will paraphrase what I see Paul as saying here, and you tell me where I am wrong. Paul is saying, "If my brother in the faith is made to stumble in his walk because he sees me eat meat that was sacrificed to idols, I will refrain so as not to ruin his faith. I have the right to eat all things, but I will forgo that right so that my brother is not stumbled. By the same token, we should not be judging others as to what they eat, or whether or not they observe a festival or a Sabbath, because they are accountable to the Lord alone." This is the plainest reading of the text. I am not sure what you are gathering from this. "Religious acts" are not even mentioned in this portion; mundane acts are. "To him it is defiled" is a reference to the attitudes that a person brings with them; if they do not feel "free" to eat a certain thing, then it would be sin for them to do so because it would be going against their (weak) conscience.

Exactly what is it you are disagreeing with?

Regards, Brenden.

Return to “Ethics”