Euprofanity

Right & Wrong
Paidion

Euprofanity

Post by Paidion » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:30 pm

We are all familar with euphemisms, words or phrases that make their references "nicer."
For example a garbage dump is called a "sanitary land fill," or "He died" is replaced with "He passed away."

This kind of replacement been done also with profane language. If one is inclined to use the word "God" profanely, he can substitute "Gosh" and thereby be inoffensive, or at least less offensive. Similarly "Jesus!" is replaced with "Jeez!"

The following website lists "140 Alternative Ways to Cuss Politely":

http://agentfrey.blogspot.ca/2012/01/ba ... -cuss.html

My question is this:

For a Christian, is it all right, while avoiding the use of profanity, to use such alternative words and expressions?
Many Christians do it, but intuitively I feel that we shouldn't.

What do you think?
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

crgfstr1

Re: Euprofanity

Post by crgfstr1 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:42 am

Like anything I think what matters more than the actions is what is in the heart. If one is seriously upset and using any word to express wrongly guided anger this is troubling. It is important to consider where is the peace and joy of the Holy Spirit?

If one of these words is spoken in peace and joy with humor not to offend anyone then I see no harm. If they are used to offend that is bad. If they are used to vent one has to consider why the venting is called for.

Return to “Ethics”