See You At The Pole

darinhouston

See You At The Pole

Post by darinhouston » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:52 am

Just curious what folks think about this movement.

TK

Re: See You At The Pole

Post by TK » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:18 pm

You mean where students gather around the flagpole before school and pray and worship?

From what I know of it I think it is pretty awesome.

But maybe there is something I don't know about it.

TK

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:44 pm

I just wonder about the "spectacle" of it -- the risk that it is seen as Christians not merely gathering to pray (qua prayer) but to exercise some deep need to show the world that they can and perhaps provoke criticism so they can feel persecuted and self-righteous. I wonder about that aspect and the possible reproach that could come from it as a "movement" (in contrast to merely a local group who says let's meet there on some arbitrary date without fanfare). I also wonder -- why the flagpole? To show "we can!" ? Does this somehow dilute the Christian message as being akin to some sort of Nationalism issue instead of related to the love, fellowship and service of, with, and for Christ?

seems like a peaceable assembly in the nature of organized "protests" related to civil "rights" (do Christians need to flaunt/demand rights?)

Basically, is it a good testimony? We can gather without such a public spectacle it would seem.

TK

Post by TK » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:10 pm

I never thought about it that way before, but I can definitely see your point.

One thing it might be good for is to encourage young believers in boldness-- if you are with a group it is easier to be bold. Maybe then when they are in a more private situation they might be willing to step out in boldness and risk rejection etc.

TK

Return to “Fellowship & Worship”