Introverts & Fellowship

Steelwheels

Re: Introverts & Fellowship

Post by Steelwheels » Mon May 29, 2017 10:09 am

Interesting discussion. I seem to flip-flop on being an introvert, if I really understand that word. I find casual conversation very difficult. Often, I will have to remind myself during the conversation to focus and listen. Of course this is problematic because I'm so busy telling myself to focus and listen that I'm not focused or listening. What seems to happen, usually very early on in a conversation, is I get side tracked by a simple passing comment. The person might comment in how "lucky" they were to _______. This will the then open up a huge theological discussion that is only happening in my mind as the story from the person continues. By the time I'm back the topic has shifted and I'm playing catch-up, or something like that. It's a struggle sometimes. I think the best way I've found to overcome this is by placing more value on the person speaking.
To know Him and to make Him known.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Mon May 29, 2017 10:37 pm

If I counted right, all 6 of us who have contributed to this subject are introverts or at least have leanings towards that behavior. I wonder if the majority of all contributors to the Bible Forum fall into this same category. I don't believe that being an introvert is a sin, unless it reaches the point of the fear of man.

Perry

Post by Perry » Tue May 30, 2017 2:07 pm

dwight92070 wrote:I wonder if the majority of all contributors to the Bible Forum fall into this same category.
I think it likely that the demographics of folks who find their way to these forums are pretty cerebral, and that, generally speaking, there is a strong correlation between that and being introverted.

My wife, a fairly strong introvert, found this book helpful:

Introverts in the Church: Finding Our Place in an Extroverted Culture by Adam S. McHugh

Return to “Fellowship & Worship”