Wives' submission to husbands

_Benjamin Ho

Post by _Benjamin Ho » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:42 pm

Michelle wrote:That's a good point, Homer; is one culpable for being deceived?
Hi Michelle,

I would say yes that one is culpable for being deceived.

For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor.
1 Tim 2:13-14.

But I am afraid that as the serpent deceived Eve by his cunning, your thoughts will be led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Christ.
2 Cor 11:3.

Remember that Jesus was also tempted in the wilderness, and if he had fallen to Satan's temptations, Jesus would have no longer been innocent.

Also, Bible repeatedly warns us against being deceived.

For sin, seizing an opportunity through the commandment, deceived me and through it killed me.
Romans 7:11

Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
1 Cor 6:9-10.

Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.
Eph 5:6.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Grace and peace,
Benjamin Ho

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:22 am

Thanks for your reply, Benjamin. I think you've made a valid point.
Reason:

_Benjamin Ho

Post by _Benjamin Ho » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:34 am

Hi Michelle,

I forgot to mention that there might be differences in the degree of culpabiliity depending on what a person knows.

And that servant who knew his master’s will but did not get ready or act according to his will, will receive a severe beating. But the one who did not know, and did what deserved a beating, will receive a light beating. Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more.
Luke 12:47-48 (ESV)
Reason:
Grace and peace,
Benjamin Ho

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:04 am

Hi Benjamin,

I was thinking the same thing. It seems to me that one good way to avoid being deceived is to know the truth so well that deception is easy to spot.

I tend to be a little gullible at times, it's pretty easy to convince me that you are more well connected, more well educated, or...well, what have you. However, I think that the deception that Eve fell for was that God can't be believed, I think that is a much different thing.
Reason:

_Homer

Post by _Homer » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:40 am

Benjamin, Michelle, Paidion, et al,

Seems to me the passage in 1 Tim. 2:11-14 actually isn't about whose sin was greater but who ought to teach. Eve was deceived, Adam was not. Adam "knew his stuff". He could teach it but, as men so often do, when it came to pleasing the siren Eve his brain went haywire.
Reason:
A Berean

_MLH

Post by _MLH » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:34 am

Nothing like putting "your" thoughts into this Homer!!
Ok, so lets blame Eve. :lol:
Reason:

Return to “Marriage & Divorce”