Sex Within Marriage

darinhouston

Sex Within Marriage

Post by darinhouston » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:28 pm

I heard a couple of calls on the radio show lately about homosexuality (I'm a bit behind in the shows) -- typically, Steve will premise his otherwise most excellent responses in this area (and in areas of birth control, etc) on the biblical purpose of sex and marriage being solely for procreation. I see this clearly as one of the purposes of sex (and marriage), but I have always considered that marriage and the marriage bed to be much more than that in God's economy. I'm curious of others' views of this sensitive area. Clearly it's for enjoyment as well, but enjoying each other at that level seems to have spiritual implications as well and serves as a model of the church and its relationship with Christ.

Paul's views in 1 Cor 7, in particular (as well as Song of Solomon) seem to elaborate far beyond mere procreative benefits, as well as the fact that Genesis 1 and 2 don't even speak of Eve's purpose being for procreation but for Adam's own benefit. Populating the earth seems to be secondary to the creation of woman.

Thoughts/Ideas?

TK

Re: Sex Within Marriage

Post by TK » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:27 pm

I tend to agree with you, Darin.
typically, Steve will premise his otherwise most excellent responses in this area (and in areas of birth control, etc) on the biblical purpose of sex and marriage being solely for procreation.
If this is, in fact, the only biblically correct view of sex, then it would seem that a married couple's "intent" every time they have sex should be to produce a child, and not just to "do it."

Intent or not, obviously a child is not conceived every time there is sex (thank goodness for that). If sex is ONLY for procreation, does that mean a couple should only have sex when there is the highest likelihood of conception?

Thinking about this a little more, I am not sure that this is actually Steve G's view, but of course he will need to explain for himself.

There are couples who are unable to have children for whatever reason... does this preclude their right to enjoy each other intimately?

TK

steve

Post by steve » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:29 pm

My position is that God made sex for procreation in the same sense that He made eating for nourishment. This does not mean that it is wrong to eat food unless it is nourishing (e.g., coffee), but it does mean that to want to eat without wanting to be nourished (as in the case of bulimia) is definitely missing the point of eating. Likewise, for married people to want to enjoy sex, but to not want to reproduce is missing the point. I have never said it is sinful. I sometimes eat Reese's Cups, knowing that they will not nourish me, but I also am interested in eating, at other times, for nourishment. Likewise, married people may have sex at times when they know there will be no conception resulting. But if they don't ever want to reproduce, they a neglecting its primary purpose.

There are secondary purposes for both eating and sex.

1. Pleasure. God made both of these activities pleasurable, and apparently wishes for us to enjoy them. But pleasure is no more the primary reason for sex than it is the primary reason for eating.

2. As spiritual allegories. Both eating and sex are activities from which spiritual parallels can be drawn—and they were no doubt intended to serve such a purpose.

Sometimes, because of the effects of the fall, or simply of aging, couples are not able to have children. This does not mean that they cannot engage in sex for the secondary reasons.

TK

Post by TK » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:35 am

Makes sense to me!

TK

steve

Post by steve » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:08 pm

Speaking of which, I am getting married today. Not planning to have any more children (like myself, my wife is almost 60), but we are not planning of a life of celibacy.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:56 pm

CONGRATULATIONS STEVE!
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:04 pm

Amen!

TK

Post by TK » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:57 pm

Wow-- great news-- Congrats and many blessings!!

TK

Homer

Post by Homer » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:45 pm

Good news! :D Where will the wedding pictures be posted?

Return to “Marriage & Divorce”