an Unbelieving spouse

_A&A Telfer

an Unbelieving spouse

Post by _A&A Telfer » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:15 pm

I have a friend, who is married to an unbeliver. When they got married neither of them were saved. She was saved later on in the marriage. Now, they are in a difficult situation. She desires to see her husband become saved, so they can have a christian marriage, and grow in the Lord together.

A question was asked, about 1 Corinthians 7:13. Can anybody expound on this passage? What does the Bible mean by the unbelieving spouse being sactified by the believing spouse? I appreciate everyones take on it. My friend needs encouragement, and lots of prayer.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Anonymous

Unbelieving Spouse

Post by _Anonymous » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:31 am

I just read your message of July 2005 and immediately had two reactions. The first (as a wife of an unbeliever) I wish I had a friend like you...secondly it is regretful that no responses appear.

You say "She desires to see her husband become saved, so they can have a christian marriage, and grow in the Lord together. " I know the struggle all too well...it has been 23years+ for us and the experience can only be compared to a roller coaster in my life. There are many times when we can discuss Christianity, sometimes in great detail, DH has attended a number of church services with me and our children...but his body language says it all. It is NO! to the call of Christ. I know he would be sorely persecuted by his family which has a few 'Christians', but with one exception they are at best only nominal in their Christian walk.

In reference to the Scripture 1 Cor. 7:13, having lived this life I understand the quote to be our guide in this business of being unequally yoked. The 'roller coaster' I mentioned earlier typifies my married life...many uphill struggles and long slides into discord. It is much better now, but there were many a sleepless night trying to seek an answer from God about why I have to stay in my marriage...and millions of Christians are getting divorces and happily remarrying. A quiet 1 Cor.7:13 has been burned into my heart. This is not the life partner God would have chosen for me...but since I chose to take matters in my own hands, my role and responsibility is to remain as a faithful wife and helpmeet in the hopes he will see God's graciousness and goodness through my life. I have often tripped up, failed my God and my husband with a negative, depressed spirit...but through it all somehow it's getting a bit better. In actuality I see our marriage as being better than that of many Christians...we have been through the hard times and are still together going into retirement.

The longing for a Christian husband is overwhelming at times, surely has brought tears to my eyes more times than I can count...but through it all God has assured me this IS my role in life. It is not at all what I envisioned in marriage, but for the time being I must do my best to live out God's commandments in a manner worthy of being calling His daughter. This means I must be a woman of grace, strong in the Word and living out the lifestyle that is a true reflection of God's grace. Hopefully someday my husband will understand the effort would be worth it all if he gives his heart to Christ.

YSIC,
Sheri
Reason:

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:33 am

Thank you Sheri for your reply, sounds much like myself although my husband confesses to be a christian... Yes, I lament over the same situation that it's best to let God pick your spouse although my husband and myself were unbeliever's at the time.

Yes, I agree its SAD that someone didn't respond.
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:50 am

Well, actually, someone did respond. Sheri did. It just took a little time. Sometimes it's that way here. I apologize that I did not get around to this question sooner, but, frankly, I think what you and Sheri wrote is probably of greater benefit than what I would have said.

There are different interpretations of Paul's words about a Christian wife sanctifying her unsaved husband, and about her children being holy. Some use this as a proof text for infant baptism, but it is clearly a stretch, and, in my judgment, abuse of the text.

I have always simply taken "sanctified" and "holy" in this verse at their principal meaning, which is "set apart." I think what Paul is saying is that the unsaved man who has a godly wife is "set apart"—that is, in a distinctive circumstance different from what it would be like if there were no Christian in the home. He is confronted daily with the existence of Christianity and its claims—not necessarily by his wife's preaching, but, as Peter says, "while they observe your chaste conduct, accompanied by fear (e.i., "reverence")" (1 Peter 3:2).

This may or may not eventually lead to the husband's conversion, but he is "set apart" by God for intensive dealings with his conscience. This is also true of the children of a Christian parent. They are "holy" in the same sense as is the husband—"set apart" from the normal circumstances of most unbelievers, in that there is a visible witness for Christ in their home in the person of their mother.

This seems to me the best way to understand these statements.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

__id_1092

Post by __id_1092 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:13 pm

do the same principles apply to a Christian man married to a
Non-Christian woman?
Reason:

__id_2247

Post by __id_2247 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:27 am

Yes, It is very hard for the saved and unsaved to dwell together. As each sees life differently and the goals will in most cases be much different.
Of course if one is saved? They will pray for the other and the other will for sure see the fruit of these prayers in there lives!
The children will suffer in this? s they get two different reasons for life and the values of life will be different!
I too think there home is blessed to some degree by the saved one!
I also think it is much different when the man is saved. As i think GOD will mainly work though the man as HE counts Him with the burdern of the marriage. And judges the man harder than the woman!
I also think it is in a womans heart to follow the man .
If he is evil? then it is harder for her to live a christ- like life in most cases???
Of course I think all babies go to heaven and that there is a age of accountabilty?
There are a number of reasons i believe this?
Long story short? My son a while back had something stolen. I told Him to ask the HOLY GHOST to send it back.
He said? He could not hear GOD any more?
I told HIm , Son , You have reached the age where you must accept or reject the LORD. You want to accept HIM as LORD and MASTER opf your life?
He said yes daddy.
I told him to go to his room and get on his knees and tell the LORD how you feel about this?
He ran out later jumping up and down and said? DAD i felt it . I said yes i know.
Now go tell the HOLY GHOST to send back your game boy and thank HIm.I prayed as He left also.
The next morning, oddly we all awoke at the same time and met all at once in the living room. A knock on the door and a young boy holding his game boy!
Reason:

MsCread

Re:

Post by MsCread » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:01 pm

This may or may not eventually lead to the husband's conversion, but he is "set apart" by God for intensive dealings with his conscience. This is also true of the children of a Christian parent. They are "holy" in the same sense as is the husband—"set apart" from the normal circumstances of most unbelievers, in that there is a visible witness for Christ in their home in the person of their mother.

This seems to me the best way to understand these statements.[/quote]

Does this mean that they will be judged more harshly because of having had the mother as the visible witness? Or having more intensive dealings with their conscience by God or both?

Jepne

Re: an Unbelieving spouse

Post by Jepne » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:57 pm

I would say yes to both in that we are responsible for what we know - for what we have heard and seen (to say nothing of what we do, of course). Perhaps someone can say why we are responsible; it is just that I have always believed this but cannot say why particularly.
"Anything you think you know about God that you can't find in the person of Jesus, you have reason to question.” - anonymous

Bud

Re: an Unbelieving spouse

Post by Bud » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:40 pm

Hi Jepne :) , You wrote:
I would say yes to both in that we are responsible for what we know - for what we have heard and seen (to say nothing of what we do, of course). Perhaps someone can say why we are responsible; it is just that I have always believed this but cannot say why particularly.

As to "why we are responsible", (a sobering reality) I would say: because the Lord has made us stewards.

God bless you and yours,
Malachi 3:16 Then those who feared the LORD spoke to one another, and the LORD gave attention and heard [it,] and a book of remembrance was written before Him for those who fear the LORD and who esteem His name. (NASB) :)

Return to “Marriage & Divorce”