Don't Get Tricked by Complications

brotherjoseph

Don't Get Tricked by Complications

Post by brotherjoseph » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:34 pm

I think it's really easy for me to lose sight of the simplicity which is in Jesus. Does anyone else feel that way? Since I usually give myself analysis paralysis, I find that I need to go back to the simplicity of walking with Christ so I don't lose sight of what he purchased me for. Don't let the enemy trick you into thinking you know something really well, lest you find that you know nothing at all.

christopher

Re: Don't Get Tricked by Complications

Post by christopher » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:40 am

Hi brotherjoseph,

I'm curious what you mean by the "simplicity of walking with Christ".

What would that look like in your life?

What kind of analysis paralyzes you from living it?

jarrod

Post by jarrod » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:06 am

The way Joseph's statements resonate with me stem from the pursuit of "head knowledge" versus the pursuit of our Lord Himself. I think it is easy to analyze things to such a point where we miss the point itself. For example, we can get so far into an intellectual quest that we miss the relational/loving/heart teaching that is at the core of our Lord's teaching.

I am sure not everyone experiences this and that others are able to maintain a proper 'balance' of learning and loving, but I have failed many times. There was one point where I decided I didn't want to pursue learning any more without first reconnecting with my Lord and my brothers and sisters in Him. That is what I take from the OP's comments.

Jarrod

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:33 pm

But I fear, lest somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, so your minds may be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. (NKJV)

I think it's really easy for me to lose sight of the simplicity which is in Jesus. Does anyone else feel that way? Since I usually give myself analysis paralysis, I find that I need to go back to the simplicity of walking with Christ so I don't lose sight of what he purchased me for. Don't let the enemy trick you into thinking you know something really well, lest you find that you know nothing at all.

brotherjoseph

At the risk of taking the simplicity out of this i think Paul is contrasting the simplicity in Christ with deception from Satan which corrupts our minds. I don't think Paul means studying the bible takes away from our walk with Christ of course unless we let it, like we can let anything we get overly attached to distract us. I think both things can be done simultaneously as long as we put Jesus first.

Homer

Post by Homer » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:05 am

And I saw this quote yesterday:

“The men are so near to each other in all their convictions and theories of life that nothing is left to them but personal competition for the doing of the thing that is to be done. It is the same in religion. The apostle of Christianity and the infidel can meet without a chance of a quarrel; but it is never safe to bring together two men who differ about a saint or a surplice.”

— Anthony Trollope, “Phineas Redux”

brotherjoseph

Post by brotherjoseph » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:44 pm

jarrod wrote:The way Joseph's statements resonate with me stem from the pursuit of "head knowledge" versus the pursuit of our Lord Himself. I think it is easy to analyze things to such a point where we miss the point itself. For example, we can get so far into an intellectual quest that we miss the relational/loving/heart teaching that is at the core of our Lord's teaching.
This is exactly what I mean. It's easy to let your mind get filled with so much head knowledge that you just become puffed up with information, rather than loving our Lord and our neighbors. It's also possible to haves a disjointed walk with God if your mind is too strong. Jesus said Love the Lord with all your HEART, MIND, SOUL, AND STRENGTH..and in that order. It's easy to love the Lord with your mind more than your heart, or your soul more than your heart, etc. We all need balance... But what I think Paul is saying is that it's easy to think you're okay when you're really not.

christopher

Post by christopher » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:46 pm

I'm probably misunderstanding you, but it sounds like your saying it's either gaining knowledge OR loving God. Like the two are mutually exclusive.

Do you think it's actually the knowledge that "puffs you up"? Or the attitude about the knowledge?

I can't imagine disconnecting knowledge, emotion, and faithfulness in any relationship that is important to me. Can you? They are all an inseparable part of loving someone are they not?

When Mary sat at Jesus' feet hearing his word and Martha was busy serving Him, who was loving Him more? Not that one is superior to the other, but the attitude that accompanies it is what makes all the difference.

IMO analysis doesn't paralyze. Fear and unbelief do.

nancyer

Post by nancyer » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:34 am

Most of the time I have an absolute hunger for the word of God. I love to study, not merely read. I don't mean to put down reading the Bible for the pure joy of it or to complete a goal of, say, reading the entire Bible in one year. I think the more we read the more we get out of it. I feel that to love God truly and deeply I need to KNOW God and that requires learning His Word and what He meant by His Word. This is why I study. I don't think it takes away from my love of God or my desire to follow His will for my life.

Return to “Prayer, Praise & Testimonies”