Give us this day our daily bread?

NebraskaMike

Give us this day our daily bread?

Post by NebraskaMike » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:12 pm

Was listening to a podcast with someone who was discussing a book she authored about prayer. Someone asked her if you have a particular prayer request, do you need to pray about it every day. The author said (paraphrasing), "Yes because the Lords Prayer says 'Give us this day our daily bread'. That means each day is a new day and so we start each day anew and that applies to our prayers too".

I guess Ive wondered myself how often should I pray about something. Do I pray it once and leave it in God's hands? Or, does my repeating a prayer over time demonstrate it's importance to me? I'm trying to find a topical lecture from Steve on the subject, but not finding anything (except there is something on Prayer and Fasting).

steve7150

Re: Give us this day our daily bread?

Post by steve7150 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:04 am

I guess Ive wondered myself how often should I pray about something. Do I pray it once and leave it in God's hands? Or, does my repeating a prayer over time demonstrate it's importance to me? I'm trying to find a topical lecture from Steve on the subject, but not finding anything (except there is something on Prayer and Fasting).

Some WOF teachers claim praying more then once about something demonstrates doubt and Jesus did warn against vain repetitions. But Paul said to pray without ceasing and i doubt he meant to keep thinking of new prayers so i think as much as you are moved to pray about something.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:29 pm

I think we should pray honestly about what is on our minds each day

If that happens to be the same thing(s) across many days, so be it

I know people who have prayed for the same thing for decades. I certainly don't consider that a character or faith flaw!

NebraskaMike

Post by NebraskaMike » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:49 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I dont have a formula for prayer but often wonder if I'm doing it all wrong! My prayer time is just very conversational like. Nothing formal. I share what's on my mind, do some intercessory prayer, give thanks and praise, and just "talk".

TruthInLove

Post by TruthInLove » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:15 pm

Your prayer life sounds about like mine. I talk to God just as I do my wife or close friends. I'm not sure there's anything wrong with that. If God is our 'Abba', I'd expect to be able to talk to him as an obedient child would talk to his earthly father.

In relation to your original post, I find comfort in Paul's example from 1 Thessalonians 3:10.

- Carmine

john6809

Post by john6809 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:07 pm

"My memory is nearly gone; but I remember two things: That I am a great sinner, and that Christ is a great Savior." - John Newton

NebraskaMike

Post by NebraskaMike » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:37 pm

Thanks for the link John!

Return to “Prayer, Praise & Testimonies”