Are certain types of prayer putting God to the test?

NebraskaMike

Are certain types of prayer putting God to the test?

Post by NebraskaMike » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:53 am

I’ve been much more active in my prayer life lately. However, Im still a bit hesitant to do what a lot of people say. Specifically, to “stand on God’s promises that he gave us in his Word”. And to pray in that type of way.

The thought that jumps into my head is when Jesus replied to one of Satan’s temptations with, “Do not put the Lord your God to the test”. Am I putting him to the test by doing that? It just feels like I’m saying, “Hey God, you promised!”

Help! I cant resolve this.

TruthInLove

Re: Are certain types of prayer putting God to the test?

Post by TruthInLove » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:49 pm

Hi Mike,

It's great to hear that your prayer life is gaining some momentum! To get a better understanding of what it is that you are struggling with, could you please share a little more about the kind of promises spoken of in Scripture for which you have difficulty praying for fulfillment?

Blessings,
Carmine

NebraskaMike

Post by NebraskaMike » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:24 pm

Thanks Carmine. An example would be that I should (according to some) preface my prayer request, with one of God's promises. So, it would go something like this: "You said you would walk me through the waters (Isaiah 43:2), so I am standing on your promise Lord and ask that you walk me through the waters and get to good health and bring healing of this pinched nerve".

It just seems a little demanding (in my mind), to pray in this way. Who am I to demand anything of the Father?

TruthInLove

Post by TruthInLove » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:44 pm

Thanks for the example Mike. I understand what you are saying. There is often a fine line between being demanding and boldly coming before God's throne with our requests.

In your particular example, I think I would probably feel somewhat uncomfortable with the phrasing too. One possible way to rephrase it that could reflect a tone that you may be more comfortable with might be as follows:

Father, you said you would walk me through the waters, so I am standing on your promise Lord and ask that you walk me through these waters concerning my health and pinched nerve. If it is your will to glorify your Son, develop my character toward the same, and express this promise by restoring my health and healing my pinched nerve, then I would be immensely grateful. Knowing that your grace is sufficient for me in all things and that it is often Your sovereign choice to glorifiy Yourself through the sufferings of men, men like myself, I would be just as grateful for your sustaining hand in perservering through this trial, accomplishing whatever else you would have me do in its presence, however long it should last.

Of course that's just an example and is by no means perfect. It's my meager attempt at modifying your example to demonstrate one way in which you might reflect the mindset of humility, genuine faith in God's power, and respect for His sovereign Will that you seem to be after.

Does this help? Is there anything about this particular phrasing that would trouble you?

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:47 pm

Nebraska Mike, I like the way Truthinlove put that, showing humility and reverence and not demanding. My wife and I will also pray for your healing, if that is God's will.

Dwight

NebraskaMike

Post by NebraskaMike » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:45 pm

Thank you so much Carmine for an excellent example of a much better way to approach this. Because, yes, I definitely want to be humble and respectful and try to align my will with His. And Dwight, thank you so much for the prayers! Ive been dealing with this issue for 10 months 24/7, and various medical treatments havent worked (yet).

Return to “Prayer, Praise & Testimonies”