Does the teaching of tithing turn people away from Christ?

Michelle

Re: Does the teaching of tithing turn people away from Christ?

Post by Michelle » Sat May 09, 2009 7:57 am

Sam, I think you bring up an interesting point about how inconsistency can be more transparent to the world than we'd like to believe. Your example is tithing, but I think there are several others that stick out even more. (Off the top of my head there's turning a blind eye toward the disgraceful divorce rate within churches.)

You said:
I don't think 100% stewardship would be offensive for them that are honestly looking for truth.
Remember the rich young ruler? When Jesus told him to give 100%, he was sorrowful. Luke 18:23-24 But when he heard this, he became very sorrowful, for he was very rich. And when Jesus saw that he became very sorrowful, He said, "How hard it is for those who have riches to enter the kingdom of God! I'm not as sure as you are that everyone is going to receive this message with joy because of its consistency with scripture.

By the way, I happen to agree with you, Steve, and John MacArthur on tithing. I'm just not really sure that this is the main sticking point for most people.

SamMcNear

Post by SamMcNear » Sat May 09, 2009 8:37 am

Sam, I think you bring up an interesting point about how inconsistency can be more transparent to the world than we'd like to believe.
I totally agree, The reason I brought up tithing is I just had someone recently tell me that the church only wants his money.
Remember the rich young ruler? When Jesus told him to give 100%, he was sorrowful.
I thought of this after writing may last post but I would have to say there was no confusion in what the rich young ruler had to do. He didn't leave because it was an inconsistency but just something he didn't want to do. I would have to say that many ministries today asking for money asks for it wrongly and that is probably what my friend sees.

-Sam

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sat May 09, 2009 9:07 am

Is your friend a believer?

SamMcNear

Post by SamMcNear » Sat May 09, 2009 9:10 am

No he is not a believer, and the tithing or money subject is one I'm working with him on so he understands what is biblical.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sat May 09, 2009 9:14 am

If a church gave him the impression that they wanted ANY of his money, they were off the mark in that case.

SamMcNear

Post by SamMcNear » Sat May 09, 2009 9:23 am

If a church gave him the impression that they wanted ANY of his money, they were off the mark in that case.
TV evangelists at first then when he went to a church they took tithes and offering and talked about giving till it hurts. So yes they were off the mark. Now he sees Christianity as deceptive mostly because of this issue.
Last edited by SamMcNear on Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sat May 09, 2009 10:07 am

SamMcNear wrote:
TV evangelists at first then when he went to a church they took tithes and offering and talked about giving till it hurts. So yes they were off the mark. Know he sees Christianity as deceptive mostly because of this issue.
You're pretty sure that if he had heard that God wants everything you have; that Jesus told a rich ruler to sell all he owned; that unless you're willing to count the cost, don't bother following Jesus; he would have been more satisfied and open to Christ?
Last edited by Michelle on Sat May 09, 2009 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jill

Post by Jill » Sat May 09, 2009 12:11 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sat May 09, 2009 8:35 pm

I recall seeing a cartoon with a short, smiling, bald-headed man holding two money bags, a small one, with the label "God 10%" and a very large one with the label "MINE 90%".

That cartoon depicts my view of tithing. When we have given 10%, we think we have done our duty, and that the rest is ours to do with what we please. A true disciple, who has died to self, realizes that everything which has been put into his hands belongs to God, and that he has the privilege of being a steward of God's possessions. He hasn't given 10% to God; he has given 100%.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

SamMcNear

Post by SamMcNear » Sat May 09, 2009 9:44 pm

karen,
Tithing is that of Melchizedek King of Salem Initially
I'm not sure if you understand the tithe that went to Melchizedek . The tithe to Melchizedek was only 10% of the plunders of the war, not 10% of all Abraham had. Read the tithing article by Steve Gregg he explains it really well. http://thenarrowpath.com/topical/Are%20 ... 0Today.htm

Sam

Return to “Giving/Tithing/Stewardship”