Your Church and the Offering

Homer

Your Church and the Offering

Post by Homer » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:03 am

I am interested in how churches utilize the funds collected, i. e., what is the practice in the church you attend, and what do you consider appropriate?

The congregation we attended for many years gave over 24% "off the top" to support various missionaries, and probably 10% or more was given to the needs of poor people, some on an ongoing basis.

I am interested in whether churches utilize the offering internally (salaries, buildings, maintenance, programs, materials, etc.) or a combination of internal and outreach? I have long believed that the offering should be a means of collectively helping the poor and supporting missions in addition to the internal activities of the church.

I would appreciate your opinions and any information regarding the practice of your church or church(es) you know about.

We now attend a much larger church and are not sure where the money goes but intend to find out.

Thanks and God bless, Homer

brody196

Re: Your Church and the Offering

Post by brody196 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:25 am

Of course I have no clue as to what the church I attend does with the money we give them on occasion, but I have always gave as I felt the Lord prospered me. Most of the time it is to local poor people, and ministers that greatly impact me.

I agree with how you feel, and have never understood why churches spend so much dough on a building. A pentecostal church about 45 miles from my house spent 1 million dollars a few years ago to construct....get this....A PRAYER TOWER!! It was very nice when they got it done, but I can't help to think of how many poor people that could have helped.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:59 am

Our budget for the coming year is about $280,000

Broken down (w/rounded numbers)

$107k for staff
$9k for SS, kids & teen ministry supplies
$34k for missions (12+%)
$45k for buildings (custodial staff, operational expenses, maintenance, etc)
$28k for administration (staff, meetings, postage, office supplies, new ministry equipment, etc)
$24k for mortgage payment
$31k for denominational tax (goes to missions, staff, education, etc)
$2k misc.

selah

Post by selah » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:37 pm

I'm sure that I don't know everything about the money donated from within the home fellowship which I am a part of. However, this is what little I do know.

---About $20,000 was spent within the past six months to send food to a foreign country where a missionary (personally known by the fellowship) reported starving children.

---At least three families in need have in the past or currently receive regular financial help.

---99.9% of our "teaching material" is the Bible, but one time someone did bring copies. I don't know who paid for them but I wouldn't be surprised to find that the teacher may have.

---There seems to be an ongoing flow of money among the body to see that the members are doing well. For example, when someone gets sick, has surgery, moves to a new residence, or has a new baby, money and/or things that money buys is shared to meet the needs.

I feel sure there is more reportable monies spent. For example, I believe the missionary mentioned above may receive receive regular support too.

I hope this helps your survey of Church and the Offering. :)
Selah*
Jesus said, "I in them and you in Me, that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that you have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me." John 17:23

christopher

Post by christopher » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:53 pm

Josh (Anochria) could answer the particulars of this better than me, but I'm very pleased with the way the funds are used in our community. There is no salaries, a modest rent for the basement of a church building (like $600/mo or so), a large portion to missions, and a very large portion for benevolence for people we know (and sometimes friends of friends) that are in need. Overall a very responsible and transparent use of the funds. Also, unlike my former fellowship, there are no secrets...everyone gets a copy of the budget.

Homer

Post by Homer » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:38 pm

Interesting info. - Thanks. Keep them coming please!

Homer

mikew

Post by mikew » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:40 am

christopher wrote:Josh (Anochria) could answer the particulars of this better than me, but I'm very pleased with the way the funds are used in our community. There is no salaries, a modest rent for the basement of a church building (like $600/mo or so), a large portion to missions, and a very large portion for benevolence for people we know (and sometimes friends of friends) that are in need. Overall a very responsible and transparent use of the funds. Also, unlike my former fellowship, there are no secrets...everyone gets a copy of the budget.
This sounds like a good arrangement. I was trying to think how church groups could get rid of excessively high church building expenses. I have thought that it would be good if a non-church group had a building to rent out to various home churches when they need to get together at the same time -- maybe as a community center so that church groups don't have to have too much money to survive on.
Please visit my youtube channel -- http://youtube.com/@thebibledialogues
Also visit parablesofthemysteries.com

Sean

Post by Sean » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:02 am

The last church I attended would not give this information out, with one exception. They would tell you what percentage they gave to the poor which if I remember correctly was 20%. So I can't give anymore information than that. There was another church I visited that did give out their complete budget so you could see where it all went. While my opinion on church offerings has been made known before, I'd like to say that I have great respect for any church that will give you a copy of their budget with a breakdown of expenses.
He will not fail nor be discouraged till He has established justice in the earth. (Isaiah 42:4)

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:06 pm

Where I attend now, when we were still part of the institutional (AOG) church, the following was practiced:

A full financial report (independently audited) was made available to all at the AGM.
The pastors were not salaried, & also held secular jobs (unlike most AOG pastors, but each assembly is fairly autonomous; there is also a required annual admin contribution to the central church gov.).
The tithes & offerings covered general expenditure (rent of facilities, etc – we had a café style meeting).
The pastor I think may have been given a modest amount to cover telephone expenses and similar.
The rest went to the support of a missionary, and also various local outreaches / help to the community.

We are now independant & meet in a home, and there is an offering container only for specified occasional needs; tithing is not taught, but an emphasis made on the NT teaching that all we have belongs to God, and all are encouraged to be responsible for our own stewardship/giving as the Holy Spirit leads us individually, whether it’s for each others’ needs if any arise, or further afield.
Suzana

RV

Post by RV » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:07 am

I've never really attended any other church than a Calvary Chapel. I've attended two large ones and two small... small meaning like 300-500 people.

I've never know where the money goes, other than I see lots of paid staff.

The one I was attended about a year ago did a huge building project. There was top of the line everything. A cafe, a separate coffee shop, book store, concert lighting... all the bells and whistles.

I found it odd that right after this massive building project was done, they kept announcing that the food pantry was low.

I've know several people on staff at a couple of these churches. Most when they departed, departed with a bad taste in their mouth and admitted that thing where happening that nobody knew about.

A close friend of mine went to England on missions. The church we attended at the time didn't support missions, we were taught that anything above the 10% you could give to missions.

Loooong story short... my friend had always been struggling with money in England. But... when he talk to those that were supporting him, they'd tell him they were giving. Those that were in charge of the funds at the church wouldn't give him information on his support. My friend never found out what happened other than a short time later, all the staff but the pastor walked away from the church.

I believe the bottom line is, those (those called to ministry at the churches I've attended) were annointed and called to ministry and at the end of the day, we're just to trust God with what they do.

I don't buy that anymore.

Return to “Giving/Tithing/Stewardship”