Saving vs. God's provision

KyleB

Saving vs. God's provision

Post by KyleB » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:32 am

We have a couple major family expenses coming up within less than a year (birth of 3rd child & need minivan). I feel confident that these are within God's will for us. What I have been wondering is if it is right to save for a short period of time to prepare for these expenses (and reduce giving to other's needs), or to just trust God to provide in some other way.

On the one hand, I see my job (wife stays at home with kids) as the way that God provides for our material needs at this point in our lives. So for me not to save and then expect provision from elsewhere could be seen as irresponsible.

On the other hand, I think about Matt 6:25-34 and wonder if I should just stop thinking too hard about all this. I'm not worried about being able to save enough, I'm concerned that saving at the expense of giving might show a lack of faith.

It isn't a matter of trust, I know God WILL provide. I'm just struggling with knowing how He wants to do so in this case, and where my responsibility lies and how to act in faith.

Thank you for any insights.
-Kyle

TK

Re: Saving vs. God's provision

Post by TK » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:12 am

What would happen if you didnt save, and continued on as usual, and no "miraculous" provision arrives to take the place of the money you could have saved? Could you still get a minivan? Could you still pay medical bills in a timely fashion? Would you have to go into debt, or more debt?

Of course, I realize that it may be a big faith no-no to ask "what if." I am king of asking "what if," I am ashamed to say.

TK

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:00 am

It isn't a matter of trust, I know God WILL provide. I'm just struggling with knowing how He wants to do so in this case, and where my responsibility lies and how to act in faith.

Right now you don't have peace about this so you can't be a cheerful giver. Therefore for now i would provide for my family first , until the time you can be at peace and be a cheerful giver in your heart.

Homer

Post by Homer » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:17 am

Hi Kyle,

Paul instructed the churches to save up money to help the poor at Jerusalem:

1 Corinthians 16:1-3
New King James Version (NKJV)

1. Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given orders to the churches of Galatia, so you must do also: 2. On the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper, that there be no collections when I come. 3. And when I come, whomever you approve by your letters I will send to bear your gift to Jerusalem.

Every Sunday they were to add something to their savings, at home, for the poor. They were not instructed to bring this money to church as is commonly thought; the instruction is to lay it aside at home. It was not part of their regular giving at church. If they were to save up for the poor, how much more should something be put aside to meet the needs of our family? It seems our family is our first responsibility:

1 Timothy 5:8
New King James Version (NKJV)

8. But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

One more thought. If you have no savings, what if a sudden need to help someone comes up and you have no way to help?

KyleB

Post by KyleB » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:14 am

Thanks everybody, all of these thoughts are helpful.

Sean

Post by Sean » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:28 am

Yes I believe you can and should save for those things needed for your family. God does provide, but that does not always mean all at once. It's a matter of faithfulness to your own family. I certainly understand your concern as I once had the same "worry".
He will not fail nor be discouraged till He has established justice in the earth. (Isaiah 42:4)

Return to “Giving/Tithing/Stewardship”