The Blessed Life

jaydam

The Blessed Life

Post by jaydam » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:25 pm

I know I'm relatively new to the faith, so there are many things that have been going on in the church that are old news to people on here, but I find new.

With that in mind, where did Robert Morris (Pastor of about the 5th largest church in the US) get his idea that we must redeem our money and put God's spirit on it by tithing? This is part of the idea from his book, The Blessed Life.

Anybody read up on this camp?

Also, he says tithing is the same as firstfruits in the OT. I don't see how that is possible. Under firstfruits you gave up the first lamb, grain, etc. not every 10th lamb or a tenth of your grain. The tenth came under the tithe, not firstfruits as far as I can tell. How do people believe they are referring to the same thing?

These questions come up because in the last 8 months I have continued to hear how great this book is from evangelical leaders in my area, and it seems to be growing in popularity.

I'm reading through the book now and essentially preparing my rebuttal for any who would want to discuss its truthfulness. I just thought I'd look for input on here if others have already gone around with this more than I have. Why should I reinvent the entire wheel if somebody here can give me some clear concise thoughts?

The biggest question I have, is that I assume Robert Morris is not the first to come up with this idea. Where can I locate the historical roots of this idea that we must redeem our money or else it is cursed?

Much of it sounds gnostic in nature as it talks about the secret or the key to guaranteed financial blessings.

steve7150

Re: The Blessed Life

Post by steve7150 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:31 am

The biggest question I have, is that I assume Robert Morris is not the first to come up with this idea. Where can I locate the historical roots of this idea that we must redeem our money or else it is cursed?

In the Old Covenant there were blessings and curses in Duet 28 but a believer in Christ is in the New Covenant and there are no curses for a believer. The main reference to giving is from Paul who said "God loves a cheerful giver" and Jesus said "it is more blessed to give then to receive." Jesus did reference the Pharisees tithing but they were part of the Old Covenant.

Return to “Giving/Tithing/Stewardship”