"You Probably Can't Afford to Tithe"

TK

"You Probably Can't Afford to Tithe"

Post by TK » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:03 pm

I am interested in your take on this blog post. Not so much from the tithing angle, because I know many here don't believe the NT teaches tithing, but even from a stewardship angle. To me the post encourages "i will give God what's left" mentality rather than "I will give to God first" mentality.

Does biblical stewardship encompass the idea that we should give to God first, or is that strictly a tithing principle?

http://kingjimmyunauthorized.blogspot.c ... tithe.html

TK

Paidion

Re: "You Probably Can't Afford to Tithe"

Post by Paidion » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:42 pm

My position is that as disciples of Christ, we ought not to call anything we possess our own, as the first Christians after that special day of Pentecost did. (Acts 4:32). All that we call our possessions belongs to God, and we are stewards of these possessions. So we cannot give anything to God; everything is already His!

You may be asking how much of that which God has entrusted to us, should be set aside to help the needy people of the world. I think Paul's instructions represent a principle:

On the first day of every week, each of you is to put something aside and store it up, as he may prosper, so that there will be no collecting when I come.
(1Cor 16:2)

When a person tithes, he gives 10%. The other 90% is is own. I recall seeing a cartoon in a Sunday School paper depicting a smiling man who held two money bags, a tiny one in his left hand and a much larger one in his right. The larger bag was labelled "MINE" and the tiny one "GOD'S". It seems rather odd to me that tithing can be a practice of people who profess to be disciples of the Messiah who said, "Unless you forsake all and follow me you CANNOT be my disciple."

Someone might say, "Ahhh. But our tithe should go to the church." Actually the first Christians after Pentecost, gave ALL of their possessions to the church, so that all of the disciples had all material goods and moneys in common. There is evidence that community of goods continued for at least 200 years afterward. But, you ask, what then did Paul mean when he asked each of the Corinthians to put something aside for the needy? I'm not sure that Paul WAS asking that. We who are so individually minded may be interpreting it that way. Consider the context:

Now concerning the collection for the saints: as I directed the churches of Galatia, so you also are to do. On the first day of every week, each of you is to put something aside and store it up, as he may prosper, so that there will be no collecting when I come. And when I arrive, I will send those whom you accredit by letter to carry your gift to Jerusalem. (1 Cor 16:1-3)

It may be that by the words "each of you," Paul may have meant EACH OF THE ASSEMBLIES. There may have been several in Corinth, each with at least one overseer, so that collectively they formed "The Church at Corinth." Paul may have been asking that each assembly put something aside in order to assist the Church at Jerusalem.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

steve

Post by steve » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:46 pm

Amen to Paidion!

I read the blog, and tried to post a reply. Last time I checked, it had failed to post (I am not very familiar with these procedures). Here is what I tried to post:

I am not one who believes tithing to be a New Testament obligation. However, I have always thought that, the world poverty situation being what it is, I should keep my standard of living low enough to contribute significantly to charities, and to the spread of the Gospel. For that reason, I began giving 20% of my gross income in 1972 (usually half each to some charity feeding the hungry, and to some missionary enterprise). Over the years, I have increased that percentage by increments, so that now, 42 years later, I am giving twice that percentage. This has required, of course, spending smaller and smaller percentages on my household—something I feel okay about, now that my kids are grown. During all but the last decade, I was living at poverty income levels (never more than $30,000 a year—usually under $20,000), and raised 5 children to maturity, who never lacked for food, clothing or medical attention.

How did we pull this off? I don't actually know! My commitment has always been to honor the Lord with all of my possessions, as well as in all of my lifestyle choices. I have felt that putting God's interests first would never result in lack of necessities (Matt.6:33). I have found this to be the case. My children, my wife and I never needed a doctor, except for once, when my son broke his arm. We never had health insurance, but the $2,000 needed for the broken arm to be mended came as an unsolicited check in the mail from a stranger, the day before the arm was broken. We have had houses, cars and other things donated to us, without our ever once letting a need be known to human beings (I was early influenced by George Mueller's policies).

I can't speak for others, but I like the kind of surprises that show God's attentiveness. Putting God first in everything (including finances) gives one the opportunity to see God's ability and faithfulness. Though I don't believe tithing is a New Testament standard for giving, I still think it significant that, when challenging Israel to tithe, despite their bad economic circumstances, God said, "Prove me in this!" (Mal.3:10). This is the one area wherein it is not wrong to "test the Lord." He always scores very high marks.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:21 pm

Hello.

I don't know much about overall budgeting or the cost of children.

I budgeted $500 for myself for food for 2012 and I ended up spending about $490 for the whole year (with food leftover). It was not difficult financially, but it probably wasn't very healthy (though I think I could have been more healthy without spending more).

His other numbers seem mostly reasonable, though I might question a few (but I don't know NC cost of living).

I don't necessarily think that the post encourages any particular behavior. One can give other things besides money. A person does need to provide for his or her household/family (1 Timothy 5).

I like to hear personal accounts like Steve's.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Return to “Giving/Tithing/Stewardship”