Stewardship & Retirement Savings

joel

Stewardship & Retirement Savings

Post by joel » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:56 pm

Steve,
I have read your article on tithing and listen to your personal views about trusting in God for all your needs. With that said:

Do you save money for retirement?

I feel like if I save money for retirement and don't give it back to the Kingdom then I am not trusting in God. The entire process of saving for the future introduces all kinds of struggles. e.g. Do I save for just food and shelter and the rest goes to the Kingdom? Do I save for food and shelter and endless fishing and the rest goes to the Kingdom? The more you think about it the more complicated it gets...
What are your thoughts?
Thanks
Joel

Paidion

Re: Stewardship & Retirement Savings

Post by Paidion » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:37 pm

It can get even more complicated the other way around.

If you buy insurance, you are not trusting God.

If you have a job, you are not trusting God to supply your needs. If He feeds the sparrows, will He not feed you, o ye of little faith?

I don't think you can make any hard and fast rules which would apply universally.

I think each disciple must decide together with God how to be a good steward of the Lord's possessions. There is nothing instrinsicaly wrong with saving for the future.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

TK

Post by TK » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:05 am

I agree with Paidion.

I suspect God expects us to do practical things for ourselves. That is not to say that God does not provide, he does. He provides us with the ability to work, to make money and to steward that money. part of being a steward is protecting. insurance (be it liability insurance, health insurance, fire insurance) is a way of protecting assets that belong to God.

If I do not prepare for the day when I can no longer work, who will?

TK

steve

Post by steve » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:40 pm

I agree with Paidion.

I don't think that God will lead all people the same, because not all have the same calling, nor the same future.

I have not saved anything for my future, and have never worried about it. Truth is, it's a lot more fun to give than to save—and, to my way of thinking, safer too! Treasures in heaven are more secure than those stored elsewhere.

But then, I don't ever intend to retire, so there is no reason to save for retirement. When I am finished working, I hope to be finished living. Until then, there is every reason to expect that God will continue to support me in my work.

If I am disabled to the point that I can do no ministry, and yet continue to live for a while, then God will support me for as long as He wishes for me to live (I believe that He offers as good assurances of disability support as much as does any secular employer). If He does not continue to support me, then I will die—which is how I always expected my life to end in any case (that is, by death).

I guess most people have careers from which they will someday need to retire. It may be wise, and God's will, for them to save for that day. On the other hand, God may call some of them into second careers, after retirement, in some form of ministry, through which He will continue to meet their needs.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:35 pm

Steve wrote:I guess most people have careers from which they will someday need to retire. It may be wise, and God's will, for them to save for that day. On the other hand, God may call some of them into second careers, after retirement, in some form of ministry, through which He will continue to meet their needs.
This is a topic I consider often with some personal trepidation.

Personally, I feel there is something God wants me to do someday beyond my career for His kingdom, and I may be in the best position to fund that future ministry myself presently. If I manage and save and invest now, this "storehouse" may yet be useful to His kingdom beyond my shelter and comfort, so I think it really depends on where your heart is. I also don't agree with the modern concept of retirement, though I certainly can't keep up the stress of my present career all my life and still have time and emotional energy to do what I wish to do for His purposes. I consider this a season, and I am storing up for the next season -- I recognize God's present provision as serving numerous purposes, including present ministries, some degree of comfort and entertainment, and also my own and my family's provision.

Another thought I have is that I will likely need to care for my Mom as she ages -- If I always live hand to mouth, then someone else would be in a better position to help her financially than myself -- and I believe I'm the one that should do that. If somehow I don't need to do that, then perhaps I'll be in a position to help someone else's mom or widow.

Again, there are many reasons one might save and invest -- God knows what your true motives are -- and, that said -- I do confess a degree of control and comfort from my financial planning that probably is at some level a bit of pride of lifestyle and also a hedge against a bit of lack of faith. Lord, I believe -- help me in my unbelief.

Christiane

Post by Christiane » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:30 pm

Hi TK,
Agree with you and like to say we hope you never have to use your health insurance, but in case something happen, we will be there to make sure you get all the help you need. Contact us for open and honest advise and information to help you make the best decisions for you.

Qantum Capital
“It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”

Return to “Giving/Tithing/Stewardship”