Topical vs. Expository Preaching?

dalibor

Topical vs. Expository Preaching?

Post by dalibor » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:52 pm

What method of preaching is more biblical or what method fulfills more closely the actual purpose for preaching? I cannot decide on this question.
Some argue that the books of the Bible were written to deal with specific issues and topics. Others argue that expository(following a book of the Bible, passage-by-passage to allow the text to determine the point) preaching is the only way to preach since it provides the 'whole counsel of God' as we have it in the Bible and the thesis is closely controlled by the text. Often expository preaching is regarded(by it's proponents) theologically superior to topical preaching.
Any thoughts?

christopher

Re: Topical vs. Expository Preaching?

Post by christopher » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:22 pm

My question would be....superior to do what?

Wouldn't the chosen approach depend upon the purpose or outcome you're after? Why must they be mutually exclusive?

As far as topical being inferior, it seems to me Jesus did a lot of topical preaching.

kaufmannphillips

Post by kaufmannphillips » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:07 pm

Topical to preach; expository to teach.
========================
"The more something is repeated, the more it becomes an unexamined truth...." (Nicholas Thompson)
========================

JonathanYau

Post by JonathanYau » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:12 pm

Do whatever works. One problem with Topical is to say/teach what the original writer did not intend.

TK

Post by TK » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:39 am

WIth expository preaching you will eventually cover every topic. But with topical preaching you will likely not ever cover every scripture.

The problem I have had with pastors who solely preach topical sermons is that they throw in a few verses during a sermon to support their topic, but there never really is any exposition of the verses and their context.

I would prefer that a pastor preach through a book of the Bible and teach it, and lift the topics from that. However, I realize that this is not what is done, in general, perhaps out of fear it would be "boring." A good preacher preaching and teaching the word is never boring, IMO.

TK

Homer

Post by Homer » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:45 am

Hi TK,

You wrote:
I realize that this is not what is done, in general, perhaps out of fear it would be "boring." A good preacher preaching and teaching the word is never boring, IMO.
I think the reason is the opposite of boring. With expository preaching sooner or later they must preach about THAT and they want very much to avoid THAT at all costs. :shock:

TK

Post by TK » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:20 pm

Ha ha Homer- I am sure you are correct!

TK

nancyer

Post by nancyer » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:47 am

I would enjoy expository preaching (teaching). I sometimes have trouble doing this sort of study on my own. Our pastor does Topical, though he does stick with a topic for 3 or 4 Sundays in a row.

Starting Sept. 4 we are beginning a new Thursday night Bible Study on The Gospel of John, so looking forward to that.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:31 am

As far as I can tell... if any of the 'sermons' in the Gospels/Acts are rightly called sermons... they are (thoroughly biblical) topical sermons.

I think the debate b/w expository and topical is overstated. One can exposit poorly (either by doing by exegesis or by communicating like a robot). And one can do a terrible topical sermon (usually by just speaking your own opinion and not grounding it in principles from Scripture).

Personally, I tend to have 3 kinds of sermon series'
1. A series on a particular verse/section
2. A series on a particular book
3. A series on a particular topic

I use these 3 kinds of sermon series about equally

Return to “Teaching/Preaching”