An Arminian Piper / Driscoll / Sproul / Keller?

remade

An Arminian Piper / Driscoll / Sproul / Keller?

Post by remade » Fri May 12, 2017 2:09 pm

I read an article once on Roger Olsen's blog about John Piper answering the question, "Why are there no solid Arminian preachers?" In other words, when we think about book-store Christian authors, we either usually run in to prosperity-theologians, or die-hard Calvinists.

Piper responded, "Well let's not forget the Wesleys, Charles Finney, Whitefield," and other "great awakening" speakers. But ultimately Piper took the cop out, and said (I am definitely paraphrasing, I cannot find the original audio), "A good teacher today, even if it was 'successful,' and attracted devoted followers, it would ultimately be a man-centered expression of salvation."

With all this being said, can any of you think of any well-known POPULAR (with the likes of Piper, Sproul, etc.) teachers who are thoroughly Arminian today? The only few I can think of, but I never listen to because I disagree with other areas of theology, is Adam Hamilton, and NT Wright (or IS Wright an Arminian?)
For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
- II CORINTHIANS 5:21 ESV

PR

Re: An Arminian Piper / Driscoll / Sproul / Keller?

Post by PR » Fri May 12, 2017 2:59 pm

Charles Stanley for one comes to mind. Ed Young, Chuck Swindall, David Jeremiah, Franklin Graham. I think they're all considered Arminian.

dwilkins

Post by dwilkins » Fri May 12, 2017 4:07 pm

Part of the problem with the question is that only Calvinists see the issue as Calvinism vs. Arminianism. As a result, though Calvinists would blanket them with an in accurate label, the majority of the Southern Baptist organization, all of Calvary Chapel, and schools such as Dallas Theological Seminary would be considered Arminian since they don't stipulate to Calvinist positions on lapserianism. Calvinism vs. Arminianism is a straw man created by Calvinists to intimidate non-Calvinists.

Doug

jasonmodar

Post by jasonmodar » Fri May 12, 2017 4:22 pm

I agree with what I think is the spirit of Doug's comment. I can think of plenty of mainstream non-Calvinist teachers, preachers, authors, etc.

Steve Gregg, Ravi Zacharias, William Lane Craig, NT Wright, Bruxy Cavey, Greg Boyd, Frank Turek, Alister McGrath, John Lennox, CS Lewis (Yes he's dead but his impact on Christianity is still reverberating). That just off the top of my head.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Fri May 12, 2017 8:14 pm

There's no such thing as a good Calvinist preacher.... because they preach Calvinism

drops mic

Homer

Post by Homer » Fri May 12, 2017 8:22 pm

Max Lucado popped into my mind almost immediately.

Candlepower

Post by Candlepower » Fri May 12, 2017 10:28 pm

mattrose wrote:There's no such thing as a good Calvinist preacher.... because they preach Calvinism
The head of the nail, you have hit!

Homer

Post by Homer » Sat May 13, 2017 10:08 am

But perhaps the Calvinist preaches well when he doesn't preach Calvinism. I'm reminded of the interview of the candidate for pastor who, when asked his position on eternal security, said "I can teach it either way". :cry:

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Sat May 13, 2017 10:49 am

Homer wrote:But perhaps the Calvinist preaches well when he doesn't preach Calvinism. I'm reminded of the interview of the candidate for pastor who, when asked his position on eternal security, said "I can teach it either way". :cry:
Haha. Depending on his tone... that is either funny or scary

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Sat May 13, 2017 1:54 pm

But perhaps the Calvinist preaches well when he doesn't preach Calvinism. I'm reminded of the interview of the candidate for pastor who, when asked his position on eternal security, said "I can teach it either way". :cry:
Homer

I like John MacArthur who is Calvinist and Dispensational!

Return to “Teaching/Preaching”