Angel of the Lord in the Burning Bush

darinhouston

Angel of the Lord in the Burning Bush

Post by darinhouston » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:30 pm

The text of Exodus 3 is quite odd -- the "angel of the Lord" appeared in flames of fire from the bush -- then, "the Lord" saw Moses had gone (not come) over -- then, God called from within the bush.

So, we have three labels -- (1) "angel of the Lord"; (2) LORD; and (3) God.

What are we to make of this?

Homer

Re: Angel of the Lord in the Burning Bush

Post by Homer » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:52 am

My 2 cents - the preincarnate Christ. If Christ was the spiritual rock in the wilderness (1 Corinthians 10), His appearance in a burning bush does not seem unlikely.

morbo3000

Post by morbo3000 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:57 am

darinhouston wrote:The text of Exodus 3 is quite odd -- the "angel of the Lord" appeared in flames of fire from the bush -- then, "the Lord" saw Moses had gone (not come) over -- then, God called from within the bush.

According to ESV, it is angel of LORD, and LORD and God.

I think angel of YHWH and YHWH are interchangeable, and YHWH is God, so those are interchangeable as well. So, it's God/YHWH.

imho.
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:07 am

The text of Exodus 3 is quite odd -- the "angel of the Lord" appeared in flames of fire from the bush -- then, "the Lord" saw Moses had gone (not come) over -- then, God called from within the bush.

I think this supports the concept that Christ is an extension of God whether he is "the Word" , "the breath" or the "Angel of the Lord" all these descriptions suggest divinity but not that He is God Almighty and not that Christ is a separate God.

morbo3000

Post by morbo3000 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:23 pm

I'll be interested to see where this discussion goes..

I would apply Occahm's Razor to this passage and ask "what is the simplest explanation." I don't see how it is necessary to see the angel of YHWH and YHWH as two distinct persons. My name is Jeffrey. But most people call me Jeff. My last name is Long. My PE instructor called me "Long! give me 10 push-ups!" At my college, I was called "Long-body" by a friend. Online, I go by Morbo sometimes. These are all different names for me, but I am not 4 different people. I don't see anything in the text that necessitates YHWH and angel of YHWH as two different persons.. simply 2 different names. I dug around into Jewish articles, and no where did they think it was 3 persons/gods. In that instance, I'd go with what they believed because they are textually closer to the story. Much like my children would be the best ones to ask about who I am. "Is he Dad?" "Yes." "Is he Daddy?" "Yes." "Wait a minute.. you have two dads?" "No.. I have one dad.. we just call him Daddy sometimes." They would know better than my great great grandchildren.
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:24 pm

Homer wrote:My 2 cents - the preincarnate Christ. If Christ was the spiritual rock in the wilderness (1 Corinthians 10), His appearance in a burning bush does not seem unlikely.
I think most commentators would agree that is a typological reference.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:48 pm

I don't see how it is necessary to see the angel of YHWH and YHWH as two distinct persons. My name is Jeffrey.

In the text "Angel" means messanger so the messanger of the Lord is one being and Yahweh is a distinct being IMO. I think in Judaism they interpret this as simply an angel. However Judaism would not have any reason to see this any other way. Usually the simplest explanation is best but there are exceptions and think this is one.

morbo3000

Post by morbo3000 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:53 pm

Steve wrote:
Usually the simplest explanation is best but there are exceptions and think this is one.
What are your criteria for an exception to the simplest explanation?
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:55 pm

These are all different names for me, but I am not 4 different people. I don't see anything in the text that necessitates YHWH and angel of YHWH as two different persons.. simply 2 different names.
Yes, Jeffrey, Morbo, and Longbody are different names for the same person. But would "Jeffrey" and "Jeffrey's messenger" be two different names for the same person? I don't think so. That may be what Steve 7150 means by "the simplest explanation"—a straightforward understanding of the words. To interpret "Yahweh" and "the angel of Yahweh" as two different names for Yahweh seems a stretch!
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:49 pm

Paidion wrote:
These are all different names for me, but I am not 4 different people. I don't see anything in the text that necessitates YHWH and angel of YHWH as two different persons.. simply 2 different names.
Yes, Jeffrey, Morbo, and Longbody are different names for the same person. But would "Jeffrey" and "Jeffrey's messenger" be two different names for the same person? I don't think so. That may be what Steve 7150 means by "the simplest explanation"—a straightforward understanding of the words. To interpret "Yahweh" and "the angel of Yahweh" as two different names for Yahweh seems a stretch!
The only way I can see this making sense is to think of "messenger" not as a personal reference but just to describe the means by which a spirit speaks. Perhaps, it could be seen as we might use the term "radio." The radio of Paidion was in the bush. Paidion said to Moses (through the radio is implied) to do such and such.

Just a thought...

Return to “The Trinity”