Book Club: One God & One Lord

jarrod

Re: Book Club: One God & One Lord

Post by jarrod » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:21 pm

Sometimes I do refer to the "second person of the trinity" as the Word depending on who I am speaking to because it carries with it the statements in John 1 that speak to Him as existing in the beginning, separate from God (i.e. with God), creating all things, and being God. However, we can easily identify the Word as Jesus a few verses later so I do not see a problem with identifying Jesus as the "second person of the trinity," since that is how the Word has been revealed to us. Also, unlike the example you provided with the Father and the pillar, the Word in the flesh was not a temporary manifestation. I mean of course while Jesus was on Earth temporarily until His ascension, He is still present in His resurrected body where I believe He will remain.
darinhouston wrote:Jarrod, so why don't we say the Word is the second person of the trinity? I could respect that position better. If the word manifest as Jesus just like the Father manifest as the pillar, we would need to be consistent in how we treat the pillar and the man.

Emilio

Post by Emilio » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:51 pm

Absolutely love the book. I am using it more as a reference than a sit down and read cover to cover. The bible just makes more sense with the viewpoint presented

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:51 pm

If anyone is interested in a book (currently reading) that more succinctly gets to the meat of arguments against a Trinitarian God, you might check out http://www.amazon.com/Trinity-Counterfe ... B00EQAF0T6 this book at a nice 66 pages over 680.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:53 pm

Darin, you wrote:The Father (not called that in OT)...
Check out Isaiah 63:16 in which Yahweh is addressed, and is said to be "Our Father".
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Homer

Post by Homer » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:13 pm

From Baker's Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology:
Throughout the Bible we find God portrayed as a Father. This portrayal, however, is surprisingly rare in the Old Testament. There God is specifically called the Father of the nation of Israel ( Deut 32:6 ; Isa 63:16 ; [twice] 64:8 ; Jeremiah 3:4 Jeremiah 3:19 ; 31:9 ; Mal 1:6 ; 2:10 ) or the Father of certain individuals ( 2 Sam 7:14 ; 1 Chron 17:13 ; 22:10 ; 28:6 ; Psalm 68:5 ; 89:26 ) only fifteen times. (At times the father imagery is present although the term "Father" is not used [ Exod 4:22-23 ; Deut 1:31 ; 8:5 ; 14:1 ; Psalm 103:13 ; Jer 3:22 ; 31:20 ; Hosea 11:1-4 ; Mal 3:17 ]). This metaphor for God may have been avoided in the Old Testament due to its frequent use in the ancient Near East where it was used in various fertility religions and carried heavy sexual overtones.

Emilio

Post by Emilio » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:30 pm

dizerner wrote:If anyone is interested in a book (currently reading) that more succinctly gets to the meat of arguments against a Trinitarian God, you might check out http://www.amazon.com/Trinity-Counterfe ... B00EQAF0T6 this book at a nice 66 pages over 680.
I believe this book is written by a non-Christian as opposed to One God one Lord which is written by christians

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:47 pm

Emilio wrote:
dizerner wrote:If anyone is interested in a book (currently reading) that more succinctly gets to the meat of arguments against a Trinitarian God, you might check out http://www.amazon.com/Trinity-Counterfe ... B00EQAF0T6 this book at a nice 66 pages over 680.
I believe this book is written by a non-Christian as opposed to One God one Lord which is written by christians
Doesn't really say how good the arguments are. Some of the worst books I've ever read were by Christians.

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:36 pm

Emilio wrote:
dizerner wrote:
If anyone is interested in a book (currently reading) that more succinctly gets to the meat of arguments against a Trinitarian God, you might check out http://www.amazon.com/Trinity-Counterfe ... B00EQAF0T6 this book at a nice 66 pages over 680.

Doesn't really say how good the arguments are. Some of the worst books I've ever read were by Christians.

Granted. I suppose though that for Christians that are "on the fence" regarding this doctrine, the first line of argumentation by the "fer' it" crowd will be "The ones that wrote that book agin' it aren't Christians". ;)

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:16 am

I found most of the arguments in One God & One Lord pretty poor, unnecessarily wordy with little substance other than flippant dismissals and baseless assertions. I couldn't recommend it, and not because I don't agree. I'm certain there are anti-Trinitarian works out there that treat the Word with more respect and don't use such sloppy logic.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:32 pm

dizerner wrote:I found most of the arguments in One God & One Lord pretty poor, unnecessarily wordy with little substance other than flippant dismissals and baseless assertions. I couldn't recommend it, and not because I don't agree. I'm certain there are anti-Trinitarian works out there that treat the Word with more respect and don't use such sloppy logic.
Well, there might have been had they not been burning them and their authors since the third and fourth centuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “The Trinity”