Reasons to Believe - RTB old earth

darinhouston

Re: Reasons to Believe - RTB old earth

Post by darinhouston » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:23 pm

Speaking of the testable and theoretical, etc. -- I work with a lot of petroleum geologists in O&G research & development -- say what you want, but they put their historic theories of the age and modifications of the earth to the test every day -- they LITERALLY put their money where their mouth is like no other science I'm aware of. They get it right at an incredible rate today, and predictive software models have become extremely reliable based on theories that depend in large part on the age of the earth and rate of change in various respects.

If they're wrong, they've hacked together a shockingly useful false model, as have the scientists who work in Space City Houston).

Sometimes, you just have to wake up and realize the earth is not flat and consider other plausible interpretations no matter what you thought the bible taught you.

I don't think the science is there for evolution, but it clearly seems to be in every discipline I'm familiar with as it pertains to the age of the earth (and I'm involved in a wide variety of science and technology disciplines in very practical ways in my profession as patent attorney).

Apollos

Post by Apollos » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:36 pm

I think you fail to appreciate that the CS is not arguing that a gradual model would not produce the same results, but that other factors could lead to a rapid production of the same results. In other words, there are not separate models of how long it takes under different pressures etc. The question is what pressures produced which result. So of course the predictive power would be the same, whatever the truth. I can boil a pot of oats and cook it, or I can leave it out overnight without cooking, and the result is the same.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:01 pm

Apollos wrote: I can boil a pot of oats and cook it, or I can leave it out overnight without cooking, and the result is the same.
Huh?!

Apollos

Post by Apollos » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:00 am

darinhouston wrote:
Apollos wrote: I can boil a pot of oats and cook it, or I can leave it out overnight without cooking, and the result is the same.
Huh?!
They can be soaked or boiled -different processes, same result. If you're not understanding me, then maybe you should read a reputable scientist like Walt Brown - whose book is available for free online - on the formation of oil etc, because right now it just seems to me that you all have only read the Kent Hovind type of YEC, and are reacting to that. It's not up to me what you do, but it would save people like me time and effort if you would actually fairly read both sides first.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:09 am

Apollos wrote: It's not up to me what you do, but it would save people like me time and effort if you would actually fairly read both sides first.
That's a pretty snippy comment. I am pretty well read in this area, though it's been a while -- I don't recall the works of Walt Brown (at least the name association) and I appreciate the recommendation, but there's no call for such a response. I agree that Kent Hovind is full of it in most respects, but that doesn't mean I have no familiarity with others.

Apollos

Post by Apollos » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:02 am

darinhouston wrote:
Apollos wrote: It's not up to me what you do, but it would save people like me time and effort if you would actually fairly read both sides first.
That's a pretty snippy comment. I am pretty well read in this area, though it's been a while -- I don't recall the works of Walt Brown (at least the name association) and I appreciate the recommendation, but there's no call for such a response. I agree that Kent Hovind is full of it in most respects, but that doesn't mean I have no familiarity with others.
I'm apologize for being snipy, I'm not sure how I meant it to sound, but I just feel like people just want to attack straw men without really engaging in the other side first. Brown is a serious scientist (PhD from MIT for a start), and I hope you'll familiarize yourself with the best that YEC has to offer, not the worst.

backwoodsman
Location: Not quite at the ends of the earth, but you can see it from here.

Post by backwoodsman » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:20 am

Apollos wrote:it would save people like me time and effort if you would actually fairly read both sides first.
People like you would save yourselves a lot of time and effort if you were less combative and condescending toward those with whom you disagree. Even when they're on the side of truth, those who display such attitudes harm their cause, rather than helping it.
I hope you'll familiarize yourself with the best that YEC has to offer, not the worst.
I can speak only for myself, but it looks like there are at least a couple of us who have already done that. You, on the other hand, seem completely clueless about basic OEC positions, and would save yourself even more time and effort by taking your own advice on this point.

Apollos

Post by Apollos » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:07 pm

Dear backwoodsman. I have reread our correspondence, and am of the opinion that it was you who were being combative. I have been quick to apologize where I have over stepped the mark with others (and I have).
Last edited by Apollos on Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Apollos

Post by Apollos » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:29 pm

duplicated for some reason
Last edited by Apollos on Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Apollos

Post by Apollos » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:29 pm

I did not want to have all your Biblical views figured out - I wanted to engage with them as points came up.
Last edited by Apollos on Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Creation/Evolution”