Is evolution an atheist doctrine or useful science?

jonperry

Re: Is evolution an atheist doctrine or useful science?

Post by jonperry » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:31 am

Candlepower wrote: That is a false alternative, Jon. Calling evolution a useful science is misleading.
Candlepower, I may be mistaken but it seems from your post that you are responding to what I wrote as the title of this thread but that maybe you didn't see the content and video which I posted. The video explains how the science of evolution is being put to practice. It gives three examples and mentions many more.

Sorry if the title was too shallow of a question. I did not intend to give a false alternative. I would love to hear your thoughts on the animation.

jonperry

Re: Is evolution an atheist doctrine or useful science?

Post by jonperry » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:57 am

jriccitelli wrote: I believe biological systems ‘appear’ to have a slight ability to engineer for themselves productive improvements, but it makes no sense to think that they are ‘thoughtfully producing a thought’ that says “I must do something within my atomic structure in order to survive”. Or, “I must develop and produce something of ‘my own’ biological composition that improves or allows my survival.
Jriccitelli, it seems that maybe you also didn't see the animation I posted. Its only a few minutes long. I would love to hear your comments on it.

About the point you make above, yes, you are correct, living creatures do not tell their bodies to change. Evolution is mainly powered by descent with modification, guided by natural selection.

You mention that this process would be degenerative because there are more negative mutations than positive ones. You are partially correct. There are indeed many more was to be injured than to be improved upon. Negative mutations however, get weeded out through death.

I read that one study on humans found that 3 out of 4 pregnancies end before the mother even knows she's pregnant. Many of these deaths are due to negative mutations. Natural selection is what filters mutations, only letting neutral and positive ones continue to the next generation. Natural selection is what stops mutations from being degenerative.

Return to “Creation/Evolution”