Evidence for Evolution - Final video and new website design

psimmond

Re: Evidence for Evolution - Final video and new website des

Post by psimmond » Sat May 07, 2016 6:56 pm

Hi jonperry,
I can certainly see how "God" could be a lazy man's way of avoiding the search for the truth, but it might also be the knowledgeable man's answer for questions science cannot answer.

My question about chemicals and energy was really about origins. You said the chemicals came from atoms, so now I'll just ask where the atoms came from. Very quickly you'll run out of room and have to come up with a theory to explain the existence of matter, energy, and information. Until you do, I think it would be foolish to abandon my belief in a divine creator.
Let me boldly state the obvious. If you are not sure whether you heard directly from God, you didn’t.
~Garry Friesen

jonperry

Post by jonperry » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:54 pm

I'm not saying to abandon faith in a Creator. All I'm saying is that it seems unwise to me to point to a specific phenomena and say "that right there, because science doesn't currently explain it, is something that God personally did". This seems to me like a bad activity for the fact that once a natural explanation is discovered, the miracle has to retreat. When building a god-of-gaps picture of the creator, we are setting up a version of God that immediately goes obsolete when the next big discovery is made.

Biologos.org teaches a version of creation where the works of nature we describe in science are the works of God.

backwoodsman
Location: Not quite at the ends of the earth, but you can see it from here.

Post by backwoodsman » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:34 am

jonperry wrote:I'm not saying to abandon faith in a Creator. All I'm saying is that it seems unwise to me to point to a specific phenomena and say "that right there, because science doesn't currently explain it, is something that God personally did".
If that were really all you're saying, you'd find very little disagreement here. But one of your main points has always been that evolution is the only scientifically viable explanation for the available evidence. That's been shown to be incorrect a number of times; we've even seen cases where a creation model better explains the evidence than an evolution model does. Yet you've consistently refused to explain why you choose evolution in every case, and pretend no other viable option exists. That demonstrates that your position is based much more on blind faith than on science, which makes it basically pointless to try to have a discussion with you. If you've ever wondered why you've had less and less response here as time goes on, that would be a good place to start looking for the answer.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:28 pm

Hi Morbo, you wrote:But the overwhelming evidence is in favor of evolution, vaccinations and man-made contributions to climate change, regardless of whether a list of scientists disagree.

Actually, there is no evidence at all for evolution. Evolutionary theory is but a model in an attempt to explain the existence of life, a model that lacks evidence. Other models that lack evidence exist as well.

As for "man-made contributions to climate change" the evidence is AGAINST that view. Global warming and global cooling are cyclic. Global warming is caused by sun activity. The effect on global warming of increased carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is minuscule.

The most recent example of a global warming and cooling cycle is the medieval warming period (about 1000-1300 A.D.) during which the average temperature of the atmosphere was significantly more than it is today. Then from about 1350 to 1800 there was a little ice age. Do you know how Greenland got its name? It used to be green with plant growth. 1000 years ago, scientific and historical data show that the earth was in the pleasant Medieval Warm Period with agriculture established in Greenland and Iceland and settlements present in Newfoundland. This was followed by the Little Ice-Age starting about 1350 AD. This harsh cold period lasted until about 1800 AD during which time Greenland and Iceland settlements virtually perished.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Creation/Evolution”