Why I'm still a Young Earth Creationist

dizerner

Re: Why I'm still a Young Earth Creationist

Post by dizerner » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:39 pm

[user account removed]
Last edited by dizerner on Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:05 pm

Here are a couple of videos in which Dr.Russell Humphry explains his attempt to harmonize astronomical "distances" with a young universe:

Starliglht and Time

Starlight and Time Revisited
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

thrombomodulin

Post by thrombomodulin » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:51 am

steve7150 wrote:Really what does a 24hr day mean to God? The YEC belief is that the sun was created on the 4th day (i think) and man wasn't around until the 6th day so for the first three or four days there may have been no sun and no man therefore what significance would 24 hours mean? Plus the 7th day is still open and continuing so right here the 7th day is not 24 hours.
Before the first occurance of "there was evening and morning" the objects necessary to have day and night were present. There was light and darkness, which were not in the same location. the "earth" is also mentioned as being present. it seems to me the only assumption one has to bring to the text is that the earth has a non zero angular velocity. if so, then in this enviornment one will have a series of evenings and mornings that can be counted. i would agree that in order to have 24hr intervals for the first three days one has to additionally assume an unchanged angular velocity and that the sun replaces the light of day one. Are such assumptions unreasonable?

why does it matter that man was not present to observe the events of these days? surely God and the angels observed them. why would their observations be insufficient?

it has been my understanding that the seventh day is not continuing. why do you think that it is ongoing?

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:01 pm

why does it matter that man was not present to observe the events of these days? surely God and the angels observed them. why would their observations be insufficient?

it has been my understanding that the seventh day is not continuing. why do you think that it is ongoing?

Certainly it's possible to have 24 hour days before the sun was created and before man was created but what would the importance be? The 24 hour day is a result of God's natural law pertaining to the earth's relationship to the sun and also it benefits man, therefore if man and the sun are not present, why would you assume a 24 hour day?
The seventh day i assume is open because God indicated no end to it as He chose to do for the preceding six days and He has not resumed His creative process since He began His rest.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:47 pm

[user account removed]
Last edited by dizerner on Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:20 pm

In addition to what Dizerner wrote, it is also owing to the fact that the refrain found in Genesis after each "day", "And there came to be evening, and there came to be morning a ---- day" is not present when referring to the "seventh" day, God's "rest" day, leading some to believe it continues.

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

Homer

Post by Homer » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:29 pm

I think we have a misunderstanding regarding the seventh day.

Jesus said, in regard to His activities on the Sabbath:

John 5:17 (NIV)

17. In his defense Jesus said to them, “My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.”

When God rested on the seventh day I believe that meant that He ceased His activities of creation, not that He ceased doing anything at all. He had plenty to do, superintending all creation, as He always has.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:44 pm

When God rested on the seventh day I believe that meant that He ceased His activities of creation, not that He ceased doing anything at all. He had plenty to do, superintending all creation, as He always has.

Yes correct Homer but the question was whether the day was still open or not.

thrombomodulin

Post by thrombomodulin » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:10 pm

steve7150 wrote:Certainly it's possible to have 24 hour days before the sun was created and before man was created but what would the importance be?
The importance would be establishing a possible way to estimate the age of the earth.
steve7150 wrote:The 24 hour day is a result of God's natural law pertaining to the earth's relationship to the sun and also it benefits man, therefore if man and the sun are not present, why would you assume a 24 hour day?
I assume that because morning and evening have particular meanings pertaining to the transition from day to night, and night to day. Since the words day and night were defined at the beginning chapter as having to do with light and darkness, I think the evenings and mornings are related to the transition between the two. Since all evenings and mornings are presented in the same way, I am of the opinion that they are referring to the same thing and conclude that the sun was made to in such a location as to keep a continuity with the light created on the first day.
dizerner wrote:It's extrapolated from Hebrew 4:3-4
Yes, but it seems these passages do not help decide one way or the other because both work equally well with an open or closed 7th day. It seems no less plausible from these passages that God rested on day 7, day 8, day 9, day 10, etc,. right up to the present, and that there were additional evenings and mornings not recorded.

P.S. Sorry for my late reply, I was traveling without adequate internet access this past weekend.

Mitzi

Post by Mitzi » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:46 pm

Can't the Father speed up and slow down the rate of decay just like He can speed up and slow down time? The children of Israel's sandals didn't decay for 40 years.

Deut. 29:5 And I have led you forty years in the wilderness: your clothes are not waxen old upon you, and thy shoe is not waxen old upon thy foot.

Isaiah 51:6Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look upon the earth beneath: for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke, and the earth shall wax old like a garment, and they that dwell therein shall die in like manner: but my salvation shall be for ever, and my righteousness shall not be abolished.

So has the earth waxed old like a garment? It would seem so since everyone is trying to prove the age of the earth by it's appearance of age,
yet it seems the heavens are still with us. We humans do die in like manner, waxing old like garments I mean.
Time doesn't seem to me to be a problem for decay when it's decreed by the Father or why wouldn't all humans and animals for that manner age at the exact same rate?
We connect time and decay in our minds but they aren't connected necessarily are they?
It seems to me decay can be a tool of judgment just like any other physical phenomenon or law and
is totally controlled by the Father's will. So scientists and everyone can study to their hearts content but failure to take the Father's providence
and acts upon nature lands us in no position to discern "age" at all by examining it purely from a natural perspective.

Return to “Creation/Evolution”