How does irreducible complexity evolve?

jonperry

How does irreducible complexity evolve?

Post by jonperry » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Irreducible complexity is defined as: a single system composed of several well-matched, interacting parts that contribute to the basic function of the system, wherein the removal of any one of the parts causes the system to effectively cease functioning.

Biology is rich in irreducibly complex systems. For example, In order for people (and most all mammals) to breathe, we need lungs, a diaphragm, and a trachea which are all fully developed and functioning in unison. If any one of these parts is removed, too deformed, or damaged, the entire system fails.

In Darwin’s book On the Origin of Species he writes, “If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ [or biological system] existed which could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive, slight modifications, my theory would absolutely break down.”

Critics of evolution often claim that irreducibly complex systems break down Darwin’s theory of evolution. I've written an article which focuses on bee stingers and shows that irreducibly complex systems can indeed evolve gradually through numerous, successive, slight modifications. Each step giving its owner a survival advantage.

Please read it here and study all images before commenting: http://statedclearly.com/articles/evide ... -backyard/

Let's keep this discussion on the topics of bee stinger evolution and irreducible complexity. These discussions often get way off topic right away. I will not respond to any comments which are off topic.

dizerner

Re: How does irreducible complexity evolve?

Post by dizerner » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:56 pm

[user account removed]
Last edited by dizerner on Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TK

Post by TK » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:10 pm

It's been a long time since college biology so pardon my lack of proper terminology.

You said that a small mutation may have occurred in the wasp that created a chemical in the stinger that stunned their host, presumably resulting in more live offspring of the wasp which carry this helpful mutation.

What I did not catch in your article is whether the venom sac and associated musculature etc would have arose at the same time.

In other words, ovipositors generally don't have venom glands. You say a mutation resulted in venom but where did the venom come from in the wasps body if not from venom glands? And if the venom was available without glands why would glands have evolved?

PS... I did enjoy your article.

jonperry

Post by jonperry » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:08 pm

About 1/4th through the article I explain that most insects have ovipositor glands. It may not have been clear enough.

These glands produce fluids to aid in egg laying, usually a lubricant, sometimes with antibiotic molecules to protect the eggs as well.

In the literature these are often called accessory glands. Wasp venom seems to act as both lubricant for egg laying and a toxin for the host.

Return to “Creation/Evolution”