Did dinosaurs ever live alongside humans?

steve

Re: Did dinosaurs ever live alongside humans?

Post by steve » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:29 pm

Do you accept the following ideas:
1. Sets of rock layers represent different time periods in Earth's history
2. Under normal conditions, deep layers represent older time periods than shallow layers
3. Rock layers on different continents can be correlated with each other by studying several independent signatures such as chemical composition, radiometric dating, and paleomagnetic analysis
I don't know whether I accept them or not. I have not studied geology sufficiently to form an informed opinion. I have definitely heard of geologists who challenge some of these assumptions. I cannot comment expertly on the weight of the evidence that informs them, however.

Suffice it to say, I am undecided about the degree to which a uniformitarian theory of the creation of the earth's crust answers problems without creating new ones. I do believe in a global flood, which would have some impact upon the strata that we can observe today.
Did you watch the video? In it I list all the types of evidence that would convince the scientific community that humans and dinosaurs lived at the same time.
Yes, I saw the list. I missed the rebuttal.

jonperry

Post by jonperry » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:05 pm

steve wrote:
Yes, I saw the list. I missed the rebuttal.
Missed the rebuttal? There was no rebuttal. No evidence of humans and dinosaurs has ever been found, only a handful of hoaxes and misrepresented corpses of modern animals (the vid shows a killer whale and a shark, two of the most famous "dinosaurs corpses" circling the internet right now).

jonperry

Post by jonperry » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:13 pm

steve wrote:
I have definitely heard of geologists who challenge some of these assumptions.
I would love to see a geologist refute stratigraphy. Do you have a link to their rebuttal? Do you know exactly which aspect of stratigraphy they are challenging?

TK

Post by TK » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:20 pm

Jon if you go to creation.com they probably have a lot of info on geology and strata formation.

jonperry

Post by jonperry » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:10 pm

2 years ago I sat down and read every article I could on creation.com and AIG. Those sites are logical train wrecks, each article contradicting the one before it. Which article or articles in particular do you think do a good job debunking stratigraphy?

steve

Post by steve » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:51 am

Jon,

Just so you don't waste your time trying to get information from me that I don't have, I should say that I don't care in the least about the issue being discussed here. I brought up Job because it constitutes evidence of historical documentation. I addressed it to a Christian whom I thought might value scriptural testimony on the subject—but not as the ultimate in proof of any theory. I believe that, as evidence goes, it stands on the side of dinosaurs and man living at the same time. You may feel free to disregard it. I couldn't care less. This subject of dinosaurs and the age of the earth has always been a non-issue to me. I have much better ways to use my time than to try to defend against endless challenges an issue in which I have no investment. I will leave that task to people who think that it has a modicum of importance. That would not be me. I stand by my earlier statement, that I have no expertise in geology—and am not expecting to acquire any in the near future. There are more important issues facing us in the living world.

TK

Post by TK » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:23 pm

Hey Jon-

Steve pretty much echoes my sentiments but I tend to fall on the Old Earth creationist side of things.

I only know about the existence of creation.com but I certainly have not read every article on there. I have only looked at it a couple of times. I have spent more time on Hugh Ross's site but I have not even checked that out in a couple of years.

Certainly what a person decides to do about Jesus is infinitely more important than the age of the earth and evolution and dinosaurs.

That being said I do take some interest in the subject and appreciate your posts.

jonperry

Post by jonperry » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:12 pm

To Steve and TK,

I totally agree that the Dino/Human issue has little or even nothing to do with the gospel of Jesus Christ. I see it as a sideshow distraction that impedes science education without seeming to further the goals of Christianity. I think the science vs religion issue is a false dichotomy. I do understand it historically (atheists have long used evolution and the age of the Earth to attack religion, so naturally, many Christians respond by attacking evolution). My goal here in this forum is to teach science and get feedback from Christians about what I'm teaching, not to attack theology. The two of you, an most people here, seem to understand that. I appreciate being welcomed here. Thank you for that!

As mentioned earlier, scientists and theologians (and historians) have different standards of evidence they adhere to when drawing conclusions. Different disciplines within science often have different standards as well. There's nothing wrong with this except for the fact that it causes people to argue past each other in cross discipline discussions if they are unaware of their different standards.

Return to “Creation/Evolution”