How is Jesus "like Moses"?

_Ely

How is Jesus "like Moses"?

Post by _Ely » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:00 am

15 “The LORD your God will raise up for you a Prophet like me from your midst, from your brethren. Him you shall hear, 16 according to all you desired of the LORD your God in Horeb in the day of the assembly, saying, ‘Let me not hear again the voice of the LORD my God, nor let me see this great fire anymore, lest I die.’
17 “And the LORD said to me: ‘What they have spoken is good. 18 I will raise up for them a Prophet like you from among their brethren, and will put My words in His mouth, and He shall speak to them all that I command Him. 19 And it shall be that whoever will not hear My words, which He speaks in My name, I will require it of him.
Deuteronomy 18 cf. Acts 3:22-23

A muslim student of mine gave me a tract by the late Muslim apologist to Christians, Ahmed Deedat. In it, Mr Deedat purports to show why Jesus is not like Moses, whereas Muhammed is like Moses.

He says that Christians can only come up with 2 ways in which Jesus is like Moses.

1. He is a Jew
2. He is a Prophet

Can you think of any other ways in which Jesus is like Moses?

btw - I also gave my student a copy of the Bible in his language (Farsi). Please pray that the LORD would convict him as he reads.

ybiM,
Ely
Last edited by _chriscarani on Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:
"Looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Saviour, Christ Jesus" Titus 2:13
www.lasttrumpet.com
www.pfrs.org

_Christopher

Post by _Christopher » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:44 am

1. He delivered His people from bondgage.
2. He instituted a new covenant.
3. He brought His people to the promised land (a heavenly country)

Just to name a few.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
"If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:31-32

_AARONDISNEY

Post by _AARONDISNEY » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:12 am

Pharaoh wanted to kill all the Hebrew baby boys so that they would not threaten his power.

Herod had all male children 2 and younger in Bethlehem killed so the coming King would not threaten his power.

Both of these attempts were thwarted by the grace of God, and so we have our deliverer, Jesus. And the Israelites were spared their liberator, Moses.
Reason:

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:18 pm

A muslim student of mine gave me a tract by the late Muslim apologist to Christians, Ahmed Deedat. In it, Mr Deedat purports to show why Jesus is not like Moses, whereas Muhammed is like Moses.

How is Mohammed "from among their brethern?" The brethern of Moses were jews not muslims.

Moses was a deliverer from slavery.
Jesus was a deliverer from the slavery of sin.
Reason:

_djeaton

Post by _djeaton » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:28 pm

Egypt is also seen as representing sin. Moses led his people from Egypt. Christ leads us from sin when we turn on back on it and follow Him.
D.
Reason:

_Ely

Post by _Ely » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:00 pm

Of course, Deedat's whole argument falls down because he is trying to show that Mohammed is the prophet spoken of by Moses. However, he is guilty of sleective and arbitrary use of the Scriptures. For why affirm what scripture says in Deuteronomy 18, but then pick and choose which other protions of it to affirm. For example, the Scriptures make clear that Abraham offered up Isaac to be sacrificed, whereas the Qu'ran claims that it was Ishmel.

But, here's some ways in which he argues that Jesus is not "like Moses."

1. Jesus is God, Moses isn't
2. Jesus died for the sins of the world, Moses didn't
3. Jesus did not marry and had no children, Moses did
4. Jesus had no bilogical human father, Moses did
5. Jesus was born miraculously, Moses wasn't
6. Jesus was killed, Moses wasn't
7. Jesus is not buried on earth, Moses is

Keep the similarities coming folks.

ybiM,
Ely
Last edited by _chriscarani on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
"Looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Saviour, Christ Jesus" Titus 2:13
www.lasttrumpet.com
www.pfrs.org

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:23 pm

The OT says for something to be validated two or more witnesses are needed. The entire Quran has one.
Reason:

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:28 pm

But, here's some ways in which he argues that Jesus is not "like Moses."

1. Jesus is God, Moses isn't
2. Jesus died for the sins of the world, Moses didn't
3. Jesus did not marry and had no children, Moses did
4. Jesus had no bilogical human father, Moses did
5. Jesus was born miraculously, Moses wasn't
6. Jesus was killed, Moses wasn't
7. Jesus is not buried on earth, Moses is

And let's not forget that Jesus's name was Jesus and Moses's name was Moses. Totally different.
Jesus was like Moses in some ways but obviously he was much greater then Moses because He was so much greater then just a prophet.
Reason:

_kaufmannphillips

Ishmael or Isaac?

Post by _kaufmannphillips » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:23 pm

Hi there,

I am far from an expert here, but in my brief engagement with the Quran, it didn't seem to specify which son Abraham sacrificed. This would leave the door open for either Ishmael or Isaac, depending on whom one preferred. But I'd appreciate a reference from the Quran if I was missing something!

Thanks,
Emmet
Reason:

_Ely

Re: Ishmael or Isaac?

Post by _Ely » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:52 pm

kaufmannphillips wrote:Hi there,

I am far from an expert here, but in my brief engagement with the Quran, it didn't seem to specify which son Abraham sacrificed. This would leave the door open for either Ishmael or Isaac, depending on whom one preferred. But I'd appreciate a reference from the Quran if I was missing something!

Thanks,
Emmet
I think you're right there, thanks for the heads up. Here's an article onthe subject from the excellent answering-islam.org:

http://answering-islam.org/Shamoun/sacrifice.htm

ybiM,
Ely
Last edited by _chriscarani on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
www.lasttrumpet.com
www.pfrs.org

Return to “Christian Evidences & Challenges”