question about Genesis 7:20

Jeff

question about Genesis 7:20

Post by Jeff » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:45 am

At my church I teach a Sunday School class for age group 10-13 years old. We are going through the book of Genesis, and in recapping where we've made it to so far a question came up about Genesis 7:20 that I thought was a good one. The question was how was the people and animals on board able to breathe at those high altitudes if all the mountains were covered? My immediate theories were wondering if it's impossible to breathe at those altitudes, or just more difficult. My other theory off the top of my head was that even though it was even though it was a worldwide flood, this specific verse says that the water covered the highest mountains of that region. You would think that even if some of the tallest mountains in the world weren't completely covered, that anything that escaped to the summit could not survive the conditions for long even though they escaped the flood. The other side of this though would mean that those on the ark would not only have to deal with the low oxygen issues, but also the harsh climate. What about the possiblity that the pre-flood mountains were not as tall as they are now, and/or the pre-flood climate wasn't as harsh at those altitudes?

Candlepower

Re: question about Genesis 7:20

Post by Candlepower » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:23 pm

Jeff wrote:The question was how was the people and animals on board able to breathe at those high altitudes if all the mountains were covered? My immediate theories were wondering if it's impossible to breathe at those altitudes, or just more difficult. My other theory off the top of my head was that even though it was even though it was a worldwide flood, this specific verse says that the water covered the highest mountains of that region. You would think that even if some of the tallest mountains in the world weren't completely covered, that anything that escaped to the summit could not survive the conditions for long even though they escaped the flood. The other side of this though would mean that those on the ark would not only have to deal with the low oxygen issues, but also the harsh climate. What about the possiblity that the pre-flood mountains were not as tall as they are now, and/or the pre-flood climate wasn't as harsh at those altitudes?
Brother Jeff,

I am not a climatologist, meteorologist, geologist, or physicist. But at first glance at the dilemma you present, it seems axiomatic to me that as “The Flood” rose, so did Sea Level.

Atmospheric pressure is greatest at sea level and declines as one rises above sea level. That’s why airliners are pressurized. Before and after The Flood, the Arc was above sea level. All during its voyage, however, the vessel remained at sea level, where oxygen is most plentiful and temperatures are most moderate.

I suspect that at any particular point on the earth during The Flood, as sea level changed so did atmospheric pressures, temperatures, and oxygen concentrations. The rising waters lifted not only the Arc, but also the atmosphere itself, just as rising and falling tides still do, though on a miniature scale compared to The Flood.

The Flood made cataclysmic geographic, geologic, and climatic changes that remain with us. But I think some of its effects were temporary. As The Flood waters rose to cover the highest mountains (however high they were), I suspect that air pressure, temperature, and oxygen levels rose as well. As the water receded, those numbers returned to pre-Flood norms.

Picture a fellow who may have fled to the top of a mountain to escape The Flood. I think he may very well have witnessed a rapid change in climate. As he watched the waters far below rise up the sides of his mountain, he may have noticed the air getting warmer and easier to breathe, until he drowned.

I think, therefore, that The Flood was global and that it rose far enough above the highest point on earth to guarantee that no one could survive by climbing such a Babel-like high place. Only those in the Arc were safe and saved.

God bless you,

Candlepower

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:27 pm

I didn't even consider that possibility, thanks for the response! That definitely makes sense at least to me. God bless!

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:24 pm

Yes, it's caused by the weight of the air above the surface. Of course, that begs the question since I suppose the same amount of air would be present above the new sea level, and so it's density would increase and hence it's per volume weight. Therefore, it might balance out and remain just as hard to breathe as if you had climbed without sea level changing. Oxygen exchange at that dense concentration might have a problem, too. I don't think the atmosphere permits gas to escape our closed system, but I don't know that for sure.

Basically, I don't know, but what an interesting question and one in which I hope we could get some information from a theoretical meteorologist or an astrophysicist.

Personally, I lean towards a regional flood, so I'm not sure it matters to my theology, but it's still a very interesting question indeed.

Candlepower

Post by Candlepower » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:26 pm

darinhouston wrote: what an interesting question and one in which I hope we could get some information from a theoretical meteorologist or an astrophysicist.
Ditto

Candlepower

P.S. Actually, I am a theoretical meteorologist, astrophysicist, botanist, florist,and motorist. There's a lot of stuff I'm theoretical about. So I hope some folks with theories and expertise will share their brains here. Theorists are welcome also . :)

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:48 am

I would also ask that my brothers and sisters here please pray for this young man. He is a good boy, he listens and asks good questions, raised up in church, but he has never accepted Jesus as his personal Lord and Savior. I want the class to be open so that he is free to ask honest questions like this one, so that he can see that there are answers to the tough questions. But at the same time, I don't want the class to get bogged down in tiny details like this one. I want the focus to be on Jesus, and I think He is the focus of the Bible no matter which part.

Candlepower

Post by Candlepower » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:50 am

Jeff wrote:I want the focus to be on Jesus, and I think He is the focus of the Bible no matter which part.
Good for you, Jeff! That is so encouraging. I have prayed for the young man in question.

Here is one more comment about "The Flood" subject you introduced. With all the natural facts and evidence there is about The Flood, the essence of it remains in the realm of the miraculous, which is supernatural. It is not necessary for man to be able to prove logically, meticulously, and scientifically everything about The Flood in order to establish that it happened. By definition, the supernatural cannot not be completely described in natural terms. If it could, it would not be supernatural.

I am thankful that God has given tons of facts and evidence that ought to convince any honest seeker that The Flood actually occurred. Times come, however, when faith is necessary to bridge a gap between the natural and the supernatural.

I am convinced that what God has revealed in the Bible is true (If you haven't already done so, please listen to Steve Gregg's lecture series on the Authority of Scripture). Therefore, whenever facts and evidence leave me unconvinced, Scripture convinces me. It has convinced me that I can trust it more than I can trust my eyes...or my mind.

God bless you,

Candlepower

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:32 pm

I think God rarely resorts to the supernatural, and tends to intervene supernaturally but using natural processes. I see no reason to think he suspended the laws of physics to generate the flood. One thing that strikes me in this thread is we've forgotten the increased volume of water. Where did it come from? If even partially from the atmosphere, then that too would affect the atmospheric pressure.

Candlepower

Post by Candlepower » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:45 pm

darinhouston wrote:I think God rarely resorts to the supernatural, and tends to intervene supernaturally but using natural processes. I see no reason to think he suspended the laws of physics to generate the flood. One thing that strikes me in this thread is we've forgotten the increased volume of water. Where did it come from? If even partially from the atmosphere, then that too would affect the atmospheric pressure.
Darin,

I tend to agree with what you said here. I say "tend to" because much of what I've said on this thread concerning scientific facts and principles is somewhat speculative on my part. I really don't have enough training and knowledge to make many categorical statements concerning especially the physics involved in the flood, and whether what happened did or did not defy Physics. What training/knowledge I have is from what I learned in high school, a little in college, and some reading since then. If I knew more, I might disagree (or agree) more. Like you, I would really like an expert to weigh in on this, especially concerning what influence The Flood might have had on atmospheric pressure. Until then, my unathoratative speculation stands (for what it's worth). :)

I agree with you that, God rarely resorts to the supernatural, and "tends to intervene supernaturally...using natural processes." However, though The Flood may (or may not) have proceeded according to the laws of God-established physics, I do think that it was likely generated (or initiated) by supernatural intervention into the creation by its Creator. It didn't start by itself. God must have thrown the switch.

Shortly before The Flood, something else happened that I think was a clear example of God supernaturally, temporarily suspending His natural law. It was when He had the animals (many of them, at least) go to Noah and into the Ark. Apparently Noah didn't have to go out a-hunting every critter -- they went to him. That defies the natural order of things and was miraculous. I know some animals migrate instinctively, and I know animals may not have been as fearful of man before the flood as they were after. But for multiple thousands of dumb creatures to show up on the Ark's doorstep just in time to escape The Flood is mind boggling. If I had to come up with a natural explanation for that, I would give up right away. But we know it happened despite its impossibility.

Well, I'll tell you what, Darin. If some experts don't show up on this thread pretty soon, I may have to become one so that I'll know what I'm talking about. It's been informative chatting with you. I have read some of your posts on other threads and have been blessed there as well.

God bless you,

Candlepower

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:30 pm

I agree with what you say and agree about Gods intervention but as to the animals I think he may have moved them spiritually (extra-naturally) but not necessarily supernaturally. It may be semantics but they probably moved according to their physical (natural) abilities (walked) and weren't teleported etc.

Return to “Christian Evidences & Challenges”