How to Witness to an Atheist

TK

How to Witness to an Atheist

Post by TK » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:38 pm

http://brucegerencser.net/2012/06/23/ho ... n-atheist/

I really tend to agree with the main thrust of the article.

Some may object by saying that atheists are still fish that fishers of men ought to fish for, whether they like it or not.

But even Jesus said: “Cast the net on the right side of the boat, and you will find some.”

TK

mattrose

Re: How to Witness to an Atheist

Post by mattrose » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:27 pm

I do think that some Christians become infatuated with witnessing to atheists to the point where they are not being wise. I also agree that atheists, at least in my experience, tend to be equally or more familiar with the Bible and theology than the average professing Christian. I also agree that we would do well to be prepared to have intellectual discussions with atheists in order to break down some of the walls keeping them from considering Jesus Christ.

I also disagree with a number of the points he raises. I can't prove that his points are wrong, but I have a hunch that they are

1. I doubt many atheists were Christians before they became atheists. I bet they were connected to the Christian religion, which true Christians understand is far different. I highly doubt they genuinely loved Jesus Christ and were following Him at any point in their lives.

2. I think intellectual reasons are almost always the 'front' that atheists put up... and I think they really have those intellectual objections... but I also find there is almost always some emotional or bad past experience behind their atheism. Also, I think that 'cultural' reasons are almost synonymous with 'intellectual' reasons since it is our culture that makes people think in wrong ways which make Christianity seem unbelievable.

3. And, of course, I disagree with the idea that atheists probably aren't God's 'elect' anyways. Jesus is God's elect and EVERYONE is invited to share election through Him.

4. Though I agree with most of his list of methods that don't work... I think friendship evangelism, if done in love and not just to 'convert' them... can be highly effective if the witness is living a truly Christ-like life.

TK

Post by TK » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:37 am

I agree with what you posted, Matt.'

I just dont think that an atheist can be argued into submission. Pride is behind their atheism, and while they may concede points I do not think they will concede everything. At least that has been my experience.

TK

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:13 pm

Mine too. Sometimes points are conceded, but the have a reservoir of a thousand others.

Return to “Christian Evidences & Challenges”