How would you respond to these accusations against Christian

Ryan07

How would you respond to these accusations against Christian

Post by Ryan07 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:43 am

Christianity is pagan based and has been grossly twisted over the years. Its myths... even the Christ mythos rooted in ancient mystery cults and traditions.

The church fathers just literalized the myth for their own political agenda and in attempt to unite the empire and quiet the jewish revolts... jewish revolts being hundreds of years before the official literalization of christ, and a standard christian creed had been established of course

steve

Re: How would you respond to these accusations against Chris

Post by steve » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:46 am

I would answer:

"Because YOU said so? I'm all ears. Let's hear your proof. To have credibility, it will have to be something other than a blog or a Youtube video—or merely a cleverly-woven tale. Your claims are up against some pretty stiff competition. Christianity has centuries of historical scholarship backing its claims. What have you got?"

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:51 pm

Steve, I don't hold these views and am in no way arguing for them, but...

Would your response not be anything more than an appeal to the authority of public opinion? However unlikely, couldn't one lone individual, at least in theory, hold the truth on a given subject. I think you of all people would understand that the majority of people at any period of time could be wrong about something.

I suppose you to be rather saying that the burden doesn't rest on Christians to disprove every crazy theory people can come up with. Is this the case?

Thanks.
Last edited by Bryan on Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:57 pm

After reading again, Steve, I feel I misunderstood you the first time. I see now, that you were just not being forced into carrying the burden of proof before it belongs to you.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:39 pm

Steve has given a more detailed response to these sorts of claims (I believe he responded to the movie Zeitgeist), but I agree that the claims are so easily dismissed that it's better to turn the question around and force them to do their homework first.

Ryan07

Post by Ryan07 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:59 pm

Thank you, Steve, I actually was consulting your audio on historical accuracy of the Bible last night.

I have also watched both parts of your Zeitgeist video.

Strangely this guy has also seen Zeitgeist be countered and claims there are all kinds of "real scholars" with "credentials" and he slammed my inbox full of links. Actually if you guys are on facebook(I have you friended Steve) his group is called "Secular Theology."

I even linked him Steve's Zeitgeist debunker and he didn't seem to care since you don't have "credentials." So I pointed out that you used the works of people who do to disprove it. Apparently there are scholars with credentials in this secular theology movement that are working really hard to keep propagating this stuff.

Return to “Christian Evidences & Challenges”