"Playing God" New life created from chemicals with a machine

ApostateltsopA

"Playing God" New life created from chemicals with a machine

Post by ApostateltsopA » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:16 pm

Please forgive the formatting, just pulled this off facebook.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science ... g-god.html

I hope that link works. According to the article humans have succeded in creating a new single celled animal using a cell from a bacteria, cleaned out of genetic information, and inserting dna created with a machine using bottles of chemicals.

I'm excited, and a bit nervous for this technology. Obviously it is a long way from producing a complete cell since they had to use a scrubbed cell and added new genes. Still really neat though.

What also bothers me is that the idea that direcy gene manipulation is "playing god". Humans have used reproductive selection to modify the genetics of our domestic species for thousands of years. Bananas, silk worms, cattle, dogs... the list is very long. Why do any of you suppose there is such a tendancy towards hyperbole on this kind of direct tinkering as opposed to indirect?

Paidion

Re: "Playing God" New life created from chemicals with a mac

Post by Paidion » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:15 pm

Hi Apos,

I am not going to comment on the "playing God" problem that some people have.

However, I will believe that man has created life only when he does it without the use of any living or formerly-living parts from existing life forms.
In this case the "empty" bacterium cell is/was alive.

If life forms originally popped into existence from non-life—from existing earth chemicals alone, then let the scientists produce similar conditions so that life will pop into existence again. When that happens I might accept that man has "created" life.

But having said this, I do agree with you that this is a remarkable achievement.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

ApostateltsopA

Post by ApostateltsopA » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:12 pm

I agree I'd like to see the cellular structures recreated. That would put abiogenesis into a much better place for being well grounded science and not just a compelling hypothesis. This is kind of like Frankenstine's monster though with better results. A self replicating cell is way more impressive than an animated cadaver.

From a pratical standpoint I don't know if it would be useful to create a new protocell. Modern cells already have midochondroa and a host of internal processes that would have to be recreated. I think doing so would increase our understanding of those things though so I'm hopeful they will.

In any case this research offers some really hopeful things in medicine and enviromental mantenance. We might even unlock human regeneration which could cure paralysis and limb/organ loss.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:25 pm

Thanks for your thoughts, Apos.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Agnosticism & Atheism”