Is our inter-dependence an argument for universalism?

Ian

Is our inter-dependence an argument for universalism?

Post by Ian » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:30 am

To give an extreme example - when Fred Phelps lashes out, he uses digital technology that in some measure or another will have been provided by non-Christians. There are innumerable lesser examples, down to who supplied the toothpaste I used to brush my teeth this morning?
What think y`all?

steve7150

Re: Is our inter-dependence an argument for universalism?

Post by steve7150 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:32 pm

To give an extreme example - when Fred Phelps lashes out, he uses digital technology that in some measure or another will have been provided by non-Christians. There are innumerable lesser examples, down to who supplied the toothpaste I used to brush my teeth this morning?
What think y`all?

I don't really follow your logic. We may be economically and technologically dependent on each other but how does translate into the spiritual realm which is more about each individuals relationship with God?

Ian

Post by Ian » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:21 am

I don't really follow your logic. We may be economically and technologically dependent on each other but how does translate into the spiritual realm which is more about each individuals relationship with God?
Yes, Steve, but we`re not machines, mind. There`s often more than just technological and economic dependence.I`m not saying that the Boston bomber, whoever he is, should get a free ticket to heaven because he might once unwittingly have helped a Christian with his teeth.

I guess I`m pleading for some kind of mitigation on behalf of relative kind unbelievers. I`ve never really resolved in my mind for example the real-case scenario of my younger brother (who is not a Christian) but who looks after two severely disabled children (who by Arminianist theology, are saved, but my brother not). I have a high regard for my brother. What he copes with is heroic.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:21 am

I guess I`m pleading for some kind of mitigation on behalf of relative kind unbelievers. I`ve never really resolved in my mind for example the real-case scenario of my younger brother (who is not a Christian) but who looks after two severely disabled children (who by Arminianist theology, are saved, but my brother not). I have a high regard for my brother. What he copes with is heroic.

Ian

OK i get it and i sympathize with your feelings about your brother. I also have relatives who seem a lot more worthy of salvation then me and my opinion for whatever it's worth is that physical death is not a barrier to salvation. We are judged when we die by our works and IMO God's mercy is boundless and it is his will that everyone be saved and come into a knowledge of the truth.
So i still would pray for his salvation & if he is open i would talk about the gospel to him but also have a confidence that God does care about every last sheep.

Return to “Christianity”