"God's Not Dead"

TK

"God's Not Dead"

Post by TK » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:10 pm

Have any of you seen this movie yet? I have heard glowing reviews from Christian circles. My fear however was that the secular world would say that the professor in the movie was an idiot.

I checked out some secular reviews today and of course they uniformly say this, but some also say the Christian side was poorly presented.

i was just curious if anyone here has seen it yet.

darinhouston

"God's Not Dead"

Post by darinhouston » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:22 pm

Saw it tonight. I thought it was the best Christian film I've ever seen. You can't expect to go very deep in a 2 hour movie, but they hit a lot of scope with some pretty reasonable treatment with excellent production values and pretty good acting. I was surprised how many "memes" they fit in -- from the problem with evil to the cosmological argument and beyond. The characters were pretty genuine for the time allotted and sterotypes were well-placed -- there were very one-dimensional characters, but only where it helped the story -- otherwise, they were pretty "real." The pastor, for example, had sage words of wisdom but wasn't a perfect man and found his place in service somewhat tedious -- seeking something larger -- a missionary staying with him helped him find meaning in the ordinary works of service. Unequal yoking -- I could go on and on, but they fit a lot of Christian themes in without feeling contrived. I thought it was a really well written movie and will definitely buy it and show it to my kids when appropriate. Mostly, I was not embarassed (and I can't say that about many "Christian" movies).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TK

Re: "God's Not Dead"

Post by TK » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:44 pm

Thanks Darin-- Glad to hear that. I hope we start seeing some more good quality Christian movies.

I just checked out "Rotten Tomatoes" which gives is a 20% favorable rating-- typical criticisms. They kept talking about the student using "hamfisted" arguments whatever that means. Not familiar with that term.

I remember when "The Passion" came out the secular reviewers panned it for being "too violent." I thought that was funny. But they had to find something bad to say about it.

steve

Post by steve » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:50 am

I agree with Darin in his review.

Ian

Post by Ian » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:06 am

TK

Post by TK » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:10 pm

Thanks for posting Dr. Ross's review Ian.

i guess he thought that the student used "ham fisted" arguments as well! :)

nancyer

Post by nancyer » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:19 pm

I know you originally posted this back in April but I still haven't heard of the movie "Rotten Tomatoes". Was wondering about it. Our church is beginning to show movies once a month, we've already shown Courageous and next week Fireproof. Can anyone tell me if God's Not Dead is available yet?

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:06 pm

:lol:

Nancy, "Rotten Tomatoes" is a website that gives movie reviews. Thanks, I needed a little laugh. :D

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:00 pm

I saw "God's Not Dead" a couple days ago.

I thought it was a bit too, oh, scattered, I guess. There were 3-5 different sub-plots and they didn't really have much to do with each other. I would rather have focused on one of the plots. As it was, I couldn't get into any of them very much.

But everything did look good and the acting is good. There were a few "that seems unlikely" moments, but that's movies for you.

Note: I missed the first 5-10 minutes, unfortunately.

"Rotten Tomatoes" :lol: ;)
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

nancyer

Post by nancyer » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:21 am

Just thought I'd add my humble opinion. I did see God's Not Dead last week and loved it. Really loved it. Can't wait to get it for myself. I would have changed the ending, however, what happens to the professor (don't worry, no spoiler alert here!) but other than that I thought it was great.

Also saw Heaven is For Real and liked it very much. Of the two, GND was better I think. I love Greg Kinear and he did a fantastic job, I just had a little trouble with some of the pastor's questions and thought processes. Oh well, again, my humble opinion.

Ok, that's it.

Return to “Christianity”