Christian Persecution Out Of Context

robbyyoung

Christian Persecution Out Of Context

Post by robbyyoung » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:57 pm

Hello all and God bless,

Recently I was reminded, through film and other media, how the N.T. Scriptures tells us, we, Believers, will be persecuted because Yeshua was persecuted, for the world hates Him and The Father. Therefore, we are not above our risen Lord, and should expect this same persecution. Well that was indeed true for our 1st Century Brethren, however, where is the biblical support that extends this specificity to another time, people and place regarding "A World", which need be defined very carefully, prophetically set to bring about the end of the age?

Would it make a difference to a Believer to know that "The World" IS NOT out to persecute them?

All N.T. passages related to the subject, in its context, I contend shows ample proof of its audience, time and place. I surmise if all three (3) - time, people and place of the 1st Century is not denoted in the immediate context, then surely it will be found in the greater context.

Your thoughts?
Last edited by robbyyoung on Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

steve

Re: Christian Persecution Out Of Context

Post by steve » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:10 pm

I suppose, if the nature of the world were to change—that is, if everyone were converted—then the world's hostility toward the claims of Christ would end. Until then, I would expect the persecution of Christians to continue in the same manner, and for the same reasons, as it occurred in the first century.

It is not unimaginable that the world could be converted, and that all persecution of Christianity would end. However, the 1900 years since the first century have not provided any encouragement in that respect. Though Christianity is spreading incredibly fast throughout many parts of the the Global East and South (possibly at the fastest rate in all history), it is also estimated that there have been more Christian martyrs in the past hundred years than in all previous history combined.

robbyyoung

Re: Christian Persecution Out Of Context

Post by robbyyoung » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:48 pm

steve wrote:I suppose, if the nature of the world were to change—that is, if everyone were converted—then the world's hostility toward the claims of Christ would end. Until then, I would expect the persecution of Christians to continue in the same manner, and for the same reasons, as it occurred in the first century.

It is not unimaginable that the world could be converted, and that all persecution of Christianity would end. However, the 1900 years since the first century have not provided any encouragement in that respect. Though Christianity is spreading incredibly fast throughout many parts of the the Global East and South (possibly at the fastest rate in all history), it is also estimated that there have been more Christian martyrs in the past hundred years than in all previous history combined.
Hi Steve,

Thanks for replying. IMO, I think the text is pointing to a 1st Century event. "The World" was the present order or government of the time in an one-time prophetic fulfillment concerning the end of the age. Persecution, for the Christian, beyond the 1st Century is not rooted in an age ending event. It's seemingly ancillary with other factors, to include so-called Christians inflicting the same on each other. This ancillary persecution IS NOT in the same context of what transpired in the 1st Century, for its root was to bring an end to an age.

The persecutor then, was the Jewish community in league with the Roman authority to reject God's Messiah, His message and followers. This brought about The Wrath of God on Old Covenant Israel and their forfeiture of God's representative on earth. Therefore, where does the context speak of another circumstance outside this historical fact?

I do believe there is much persecution in the world, Christians being among the many afflicted. However, I also believe today's Christianity is full of war mongering and self inflicted misery. History doesn't show Christianity in an altogether innocent light either. One thing is for sure, God has left us here, as Christians, to start the conversation in love in order to persuade later, to bring stability to an otherwise unstable alternative.

God Bless.

Return to “Christianity”