Who do you say Jesus is?

RND

Re: Who do you say Jesus is?

Post by RND » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:11 pm

karenprtlnd wrote:I use both an Old Testament put out by the Jewish publication society in 1917, and a King James Version New Testament 1611, maybe catholic.
The AV of 1611 certainly isn't Catholic.
The Sanctuary? Is this in the Tent of Moses or something?
Yes. Do know much about it?
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

kaufmannphillips

Post by kaufmannphillips » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:25 pm

Suzana wrote:
Excuse me for interrupting, but may I ask what then do you believe about Jesus? Who do you say that He was?
(a) I don't believe about Jesus.

(b) Jesus is a classic historical conundrum. We have no immediate artifacts from him, and so we are left to engage his life through secondary, tertiary, and/or further-removed accounts. We can set these against a fragmentary field of contextual data: various pieces of contemporary literature (religious, historical, philosophical, poetic); and archaeological studies. Under such conditions, the results of inquiry can vary widely.

I tend to think of Jesus as a denizen of his time. If I have to play sketch artist - he is a religious Jew, pietistic and somewhat radical; daring; clever; decent, if not socially so.
========================
"The more something is repeated, the more it becomes an unexamined truth...." (Nicholas Thompson)
========================

Jill

Post by Jill » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:26 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaufmannphillips

Post by kaufmannphillips » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:31 pm

RND wrote:
kaufmannphillips wrote:Judaism does not conceive of multiple G-ds or of multiple persons within G-d.
Sure it does. It just denies the existence as being self-evident.
Um - what?
========================
"The more something is repeated, the more it becomes an unexamined truth...." (Nicholas Thompson)
========================

kaufmannphillips

Post by kaufmannphillips » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:42 pm

karenprtlnd wrote:Of coarse Jesus Christ (who was JHVH) is a Different person from the Father. Do you think that if The (A) Royal Messiah were to rule on the earth as a man, that he would have no God?

JHVH was given a "people" as an inheritance by the Father. A chosen people. The Jew. "Gods people" (Since JHVH is the Son of God, the first born from the begining, with The Father).

Since JHVH was known as "King of Kings" and "Lord of Lords" before coming into life, there can be other workings on the earth by The Father (God), not just by the Son (JHVH), who was then Lord (God) of the Jew: YHWH or JHVH, being born then named Jesus Christ. Mary was told what to name her newborn son, it was not done by mere coincidence on Mary's part.

Because of who I am, I believe that the ancient people knew the name "Jesus Christ", and not just that of JHVH only. JHVH was the God of the Jew. A chosen people of God the Father through his Son JHVH. And, as promised, came through by the same line, as prepared from the begining. This is Messianic. The Messiah to come through the line of David.

That God the Father is now known to the gentiles by His Son JHVH, who is Christ, through Peter for instance, (a Jew), or Paul (a Jew). How could this offend the honor of the Jewish community today? You are special. You can still be Jew and the special people of Moses....

JHVH, the God-King of the Jew, Lord of Lords prior to coming into life, then coming into the world as a man, is exciting to many, including the Jew, I should think.
For Jews, there is one G-d. There is not a Father G-d and a national G-d.
========================
========================

RND

Post by RND » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:43 pm

karenprtlnd wrote:And as for The Sanctuary.... like every one else around here, what ever is written in the Bible. Without added books and writings of other men. Just as the Tanakh. No extra.

Say again what you might be getting at....
There are definite symbols and typology associated with the sanctuary service that the Jews knew about. Remember when Jesus said to Nicodemus, "The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit."

Nicodemus said to Jesus, "How can these things be?" And Jesus said, "Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?"

The service in the sanctuary was to teach all these things. Many knew. Just didn't put 2 and 2 together.
The Jew honors JHVH as the God of the Jew. Jehovah. And many are just fine with that.
I hear the best way to cook a frog is to first put it in comfy water, something he's "just fine with," before turning up the heat.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

Jill

Post by Jill » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:43 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RND

Post by RND » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:45 pm

kaufmannphillips wrote:
RND wrote:
kaufmannphillips wrote:Judaism does not conceive of multiple G-ds or of multiple persons within G-d.
Sure it does. It just denies the existence as being self-evident.
Um - what?
Should I shout?

Judaism denies the existence of the Godhead consisting of multiples as being self-evident.

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

kaufmannphillips

Post by kaufmannphillips » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:51 pm

karenprtlnd wrote:I use both an Old Testament put out by the Jewish publication society in 1917, and a King James Version New Testament 1611, maybe catholic.
The JPS has since put out another translation:

http://www.amazon.com/Tanakh-Scriptures ... 0827602529

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Pub ... ca_Version

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jewish ... ca_Version
========================
========================

kaufmannphillips

Post by kaufmannphillips » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:01 pm

RND wrote:Judaism denies the existence of the Godhead consisting of multiples as being self-evident.
Judaism does not conceive of multiple G-ds or of multiple persons within G-d. "Hear, O Israel - HSHM is our G-d; HSHM is One." Not the way I would translate the verse, in context, but a conventional Jewish rendering. The One-ness of G-d is fundamental to Judaism.
========================
========================

Return to “Judaism”