Teaching, the new covenant, and the knowledge of God.

JacobMartinMertens

Teaching, the new covenant, and the knowledge of God.

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:02 pm

Has this verse already come to pass at some time in history?

Jeremiah 31:34 NASB - 34 "They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them," declares the LORD, "for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more."

Jeremiah 31:31-34 is seen to be about the new covenant.

Are there some things that have come to pass and some that have not? Or, is it all in the past? I would not say it is all in the future because of what I know about the coming of the new covenant having passed according to the New Testament writings.

Do we teach people to know God, in our day and age? If so, is it wrong?
John 1:41, 49 NASB - 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

dizerner

Re: Teaching, the new covenant, and the knowledge of God.

Post by dizerner » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:24 pm

Man, great question. The NT teaches us very strongly that teachers from God are a valid thing. Christ called himself Teacher and Paul said there is an office of teacher, and that the spiritually mature should teach.

In light of that, how are we to view this verse. Even in the OT there were teachers of the Law, yet this verse says "every man his neighbor." It was the call to general encouragement of all to follow the light of the Tanach.

But what is it every man is exhorting his neighbor to do? "Know the Lord." This is not just teaching about the ways or truths of God, but a general exhortation to follow God and care about the Scripture.

Are we to conclude then that spiritual people no longer are to exhort others? And how is it linked to forgiveness? Does this verse only speak of heaven or the millenial kingdom, where Satan is bound? What is the fulfillment of this new covenant?

Here is my interpretation: the new covenant is the grace of God through Christ. This grace empowers and enables us to be spiritual people in a way the OT covenant did not. Thus I think the passage is teaching an enablement by God (equivalent with "I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh") to live out the devotion to God that was at the Law's heart (knowing the Lord—not just about him.) Thus even when a teacher gets up under the new covenant, he knows that this verse is his promise: as he teaches God has promised through grace that all will know him by his Spirit, and the teacher is more of a shepherd helping everyone see the Great Shepherd, then someone harshly beating the sheep through Law and demands to do what's right through willpower and self effort.

steve7150

Re: Teaching, the new covenant, and the knowledge of God.

Post by steve7150 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:58 pm

Has this verse already come to pass at some time in history?

Jeremiah 31:34 NASB - 34 "They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them," declares the LORD, "for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more."

Although the process has started and advanced we are a long was off from completion. so it may be completed in a milleneum period or after the second coming in the eternal state.

Return to “Judaism”