an lds view of: it's own History

karenstricycle

an lds view of: it's own History

Post by karenstricycle » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:03 pm

Last edited by karenstricycle on Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

SamIam

Re: LDS view on it's own History

Post by SamIam » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:04 pm

Doesn't the Reorganized church now go by the name "Community of Christ?"

What of the other smaller groups, Temple Lot, Strangites, etc?

brody196

Post by brody196 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:00 am

karenstricycle wrote:There are many Bible based churches. "Christian" by Bible standards.
The LDS start up? In Fayette, New York 1830 (only 6 members).
Christian by Bible standards yet now to also include: The Book of Mormon.
The name of the original group? "The Church of Christ".
Later groups:
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS)
The Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
The Fundamental Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (FLDS)
(any more yet?)

Note: The Joseph Smith Bible is of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It contains some scriptures that Joseph Smith had simpley revised. The Re-organized church then had placed them in a standard King James Bible. Not from Bible manuscripts, but mearly some revisions. On the cover is embossed: "The Holy Scriptures", similar to that of the scriptures put out by the Jewish Publication Society. Not from the LDS group. Very misleading.

LDS history is still open for discussion on other web sights?

I am not sure I would consider Mormonism to be a "Bible based church". Mormonism rejects many of the teachings of scripture, and accepts the testimony of a proven false prophet.

For example, scripture affirms the truth of One God(Duet 6:4), Mormonism denies. This is just one example among many that I could cite.

karenstricycle

Post by karenstricycle » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:37 pm

Last edited by karenstricycle on Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karenstricycle

Post by karenstricycle » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 pm

For brody196- I made a description for you..

LDS view of The Church. Is the LDS Church "Bible based"?

LDS view of God. The one true living God, The Father... yes.

just dump on Joseph Smith. or,

LDS view of The Book of Mormon. If it is not authentic as it reads, there is no...

brody196

Post by brody196 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:03 am

Hi Karen,

I am not sure which particular brand of Mormonism you are defending, but myself, when I argue against the validity of Mormonism, I come at it assuming we are dealing with the current teachings as presented by the LDS church in Salt Lake city. You may differ from them on certain topics, and that is fine, but I am only refuting what they have published.

As a person who gets his understanding of God from scripture alone, not a Priesthood Authority, I can say for certain that Mormonism is very far away from being "bible based". Of course I am not saying these things to "argue", rather discuss them in light of scripture.

Joseph Smith's claims flatly contradict scripture, and the man himself was proven to be a false prophet.

You made the claim that you essentially believe in "One God", but if you believe what Mormonism teaches, then that won't fly. Joseph Smith taught that there were many God's, and that good Mormons would be a God one day!

Joseph also taught that God the Father was once a man, and worked his way to Godhood. The bible says otherwise.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:04 am

Joseph also taught that God the Father was once a man, and worked his way to Godhood. The bible says otherwise.
I'm not a LDS, but I think the above statement is false. I think it was Brigham Young who promoted the Adam-God theory.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

karenstricycle

Post by karenstricycle » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:50 pm

Last edited by karenstricycle on Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brody196

Post by brody196 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:32 am

Paidion wrote:
I'm not a LDS, but I think the above statement is false. I think it was Brigham Young who promoted the Adam-God theory.

Nothing false about it Pa,

Joseph said this in his "King Follett discourse"
God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens. That is the great secret. If the vail was rent to-day, and the great God who holds this world in its orbit, and who upholds all worlds and all things by his power, was to make himself visible,--I say, if you were to see him to-day, you would see him like a man in form--like yourselves, in all the person, image, and very form as a man; for Adam was created in the very fashion, image, and likeness of God, and received instruction from, and walked, talked, and conversed with him, as one man talks and communes with another.

Return to “Latter Day Saints (aka Mormonism)”