(an) lds on: The Atonement (unplugged).

Jill

Post by Jill » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:03 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RND

Re: The Atonement (unplugged).

Post by RND » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:16 pm

karenprtlnd wrote:No. When I look upon a painting or small fiber glass statue of a bloodied tortured ancient men hanging from a latin torture cross, I am not "changed".
Karen the notion or idea of "looking at the cross" doesn't involve looking at paintings or statues (graven images) it involves "reflection" and "meditation" on the love so great that would take the penalty that we deserve.

Jhn 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Christ's death shows God's great love for man. It is the pledge of our salvation. To remove the cross from the Christian would be like blotting out the sun. The cross brings us near to God, reconciling us to him. Jehovah looks upon it with the relenting compassion of a Father's love. He looks upon the suffering his Son endured in order to save the race from eternal death, and he accepts us in the Beloved. {RH, April 29, 1902 par. 12}

Without the cross, man could have no connection with the Father. On it hangs our every hope. In view of it the Christian may advance with the steps of a conqueror; for from it streams the light of the Saviour's love. When the sinner reaches the cross, and looks up to the One who died to save him, he may rejoice with fullness of joy; for his sins are pardoned. Kneeling at the cross, he has reached the highest place to which man can attain. The light of the knowledge of the glory of God is revealed in the face of Jesus Christ; and the words of pardon are spoken: Live, O ye guilty sinners live. Your repentance is accepted; for I have found a ransom. {RH, April 29, 1902 par. 13}

I become disturbed and threatened by the evil of a paranoid ignorant people.

Yet on the cross Jesus forgave His tormentors. That means while on the cross He forgave you and me too! :D

Rom 5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

The life of Jesus, the Saviour of the world, was a pattern of benevolence, goodness, and holiness. Yet he was despised and insulted, mocked and derided, for no other reason than because his righteous life was a constant rebuke to sin. His enemies would not be satisfied until he was given into their hands, that they might put him to a shameful death. He died for the guilty race; and, while suffering the most cruel torture, meekly forgave his murderers.
Like Judaic Islam. But....when I muse that this wrongly tortured hung body, was witnessed seen whole and alive AFTER this witnessed tragedy, that I become healed. In that I am compelled, by evidence, that the Metephysical kingdom, post mortem, has been affirmed, and I become curious to read about these people and consider changing of my "original whitie modern programing" to be more beautiful against this newly established backdrop. A "Next Place" exists. This is a powerful Idea. It is by the (sometimes sore) repentence and obedience (found within the writings themselves, we now have in english), I become healed, bit by bit. In His name. (vs. the so easy comforts of other religions, or the Buddahs, meds, drunkenness, selfhelp non-christians, fornications, etc.).
Sorry Karen but that just simply confused me.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

Jill

Post by Jill » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:53 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

RND

Re: The Atonement (unplugged).

Post by RND » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:24 pm

karenprtlnd wrote:How does the death of the Son of God "show" Gods love for man?
John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
Eccept by the resurrection after this ignotant tragedy took place. The Jew had made a law that put to death any man reported to having claimed that he was the Holy Messiah, The King. Harrod didn't like this claim very much either, Harrod being "King" at the time.
You know Karen sometimes your posts are extremely confusing. How does anything you said here diminish the awesome love shown by Christ on the cross through the Father?

Rom 5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

We were reconciled back to God through the death of the Son and through the the life of the Son as our High Priest we are made alive and saved by His life.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

Return to “Latter Day Saints (aka Mormonism)”