Alexander Campbell, Sidney Rigdon, and the Book of Mormon

Homer

Alexander Campbell, Sidney Rigdon, and the Book of Mormon

Post by Homer » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:17 pm

In the "Denominations" category, Church of Christ, Karen wrote:

I wonder if Thomas Campbell was related to, or by teachings, to Alexander Campbell of "The Campbellites"? Many of Campbellites, from Sindey Rigdons group in Kirkland Ohio, merged with the early Church of Christ group when Joseph Smith had brought over some copies of the book of mormon in 1831. The Church of Christ had been the official name chosen by the first (The Bible+BoM) group comprised of only 6 members in Fayette New York April 6, 1830. Many, who did not follow The Church of Christ group on into deeper waters, as The Church of Latter-day Saints, and then futher onto The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, I think, remained The Church of Christ even is day. David Whitmer for instance. Eliza R. Snow, and her brother Lorenzo snow, from that early Campbellite group in Kirkland Ohio, remained with this first early group and on into the later LDS group as key presidential figures who's writings are still quite well read as "classic" by today's LDS members. We get materials from The Church of Christ I've noticed, that are used in official LDS Church historical compiliations.
Thomas Campbell was the father of Alexander. Both were prominent leaders in what is known as "the Stone-Campbell Movement", aka "the Restoration Movement". (Barton Stone was at least as important to the history of the Church of Christ as were either of the Campbells, and perhaps more important.)

In 1921, Sidney Rigdon, a Baptist, met Alexander Campbell and became a part of the Stone-Campbell movement as a rather prominent preacher. By about 1830 Rigdon began to hold and proclaim the idea that revelation was not complete, there was more to come. Some believe he already had contact with Joseph Smith. Alexander Campbell rebuked Rigdon for his peculiar ideas and, discredited, Rigdon joined up with Joseph Smith. It has been said, even by some among the Mormons, that a considerable amount of Joseph Smith's ideas in the Book of Mormon came from Rigdon.

The Campbells were not in any way favorable to the Book of Mormon, and Alexander was one of the first to expose it as a fraud. You can read his "Delusians, An Analysis of the Book of Mormon, With an Examination of its Internal and External Evidences, and a Refutation of its Pretences to Divine Authority" (1831) at the following link:

[AnalysisBookOf Mormon]

A very enlightening critique. After a review of the BOM, in his "Internal Evidences" section, Campbell noted the following:
This Joseph Smith overlooked in his impious fraud, and makes his hero Lehi spring from Joseph. And just as soon as his sons return with the roll of his lineage, ascertaining that he was of the tribe of Joseph, he and his sons acceptably 'offer sacrifices and burnt offerings to the Lord.' - p.15. Also it is repeated, p. 18 - Nephi became chief artificer, ship-builder and mariner; was scribe, prophet, priest and king unto his own people, and 'consecrated Jacob and Joseph, the sons of his father, priests to God and teachers - almost six hundred years before the fulness of the times of the Jewish economy was completed. p.72. Nephi represents himself withal as 'under the law of Moses,' p. 105. They build a temple in the new world, and in 55 years after they leave Jerusalem, make a new priesthood which God approbates. A high priest is also consecrated, and yet they are all the while 'teaching the law of Moses, and exhorting the people to keep it! - p.146,209. Thus God is represented as instituting, approbating and blessing a new priesthood from the tribe of Joseph, concerning which Moses gave no commandment concerning priesthood. Although God had promised in the law of Moses, that if any man, not of the tribe and family of Levi and Aaron, should approach the office of priest, he would surely die; he is represented by Smith as blessing, approbating, and sustaining another //12// family in this approbated office. The God of Abraham or Joseph Smith must then be a liar!! And who will hesitate to pronounce him an imposter? This lie runs through his records for the first six hundred years of his story.

Jill

Post by Jill » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:34 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

selah

Re: Alexander Campbell, Sidney Rigdon, and the Book of Mormon

Post by selah » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:41 pm

Homer wrote:In the "Denominations" category, Church of Christ, Karen wrote:

I wonder if Thomas Campbell was related to, or by teachings, to Alexander Campbell of "The Campbellites"? Many of Campbellites, from Sindey Rigdons group in Kirkland Ohio, merged with the early Church of Christ group when Joseph Smith had brought over some copies of the book of mormon in 1831. The Church of Christ had been the official name chosen by the first (The Bible+BoM) group comprised of only 6 members in Fayette New York April 6, 1830. Many, who did not follow The Church of Christ group on into deeper waters, as The Church of Latter-day Saints, and then futher onto The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, I think, remained The Church of Christ even is day. David Whitmer for instance. Eliza R. Snow, and her brother Lorenzo snow, from that early Campbellite group in Kirkland Ohio, remained with this first early group and on into the later LDS group as key presidential figures who's writings are still quite well read as "classic" by today's LDS members. We get materials from The Church of Christ I've noticed, that are used in official LDS Church historical compiliations.
Thomas Campbell was the father of Alexander. Both were prominent leaders in what is known as "the Stone-Campbell Movement", aka "the Restoration Movement". (Barton Stone was at least as important to the history of the Church of Christ as were either of the Campbells, and perhaps more important.)

In 1921, Sidney Rigdon, a Baptist, met Alexander Campbell and became a part of the Stone-Campbell movement as a rather prominent preacher. By about 1830 Rigdon began to hold and proclaim the idea that revelation was not complete, there was more to come. Some believe he already had contact with Joseph Smith. Alexander Campbell rebuked Rigdon for his peculiar ideas and, discredited, Rigdon joined up with Joseph Smith. It has been said, even by some among the Mormons, that a considerable amount of Joseph Smith's ideas in the Book of Mormon came from Rigdon.

The Campbells were not in any way favorable to the Book of Mormon, and Alexander was one of the first to expose it as a fraud. You can read his "Delusians, An Analysis of the Book of Mormon, With an Examination of its Internal and External Evidences, and a Refutation of its Pretences to Divine Authority" (1831) at the following link:

[AnalysisBookOf Mormon]

A very enlightening critique. After a review of the BOM, in his "Internal Evidences" section, Campbell noted the following:
This Joseph Smith overlooked in his impious fraud, and makes his hero Lehi spring from Joseph. And just as soon as his sons return with the roll of his lineage, ascertaining that he was of the tribe of Joseph, he and his sons acceptably 'offer sacrifices and burnt offerings to the Lord.' - p.15. Also it is repeated, p. 18 - Nephi became chief artificer, ship-builder and mariner; was scribe, prophet, priest and king unto his own people, and 'consecrated Jacob and Joseph, the sons of his father, priests to God and teachers - almost six hundred years before the fulness of the times of the Jewish economy was completed. p.72. Nephi represents himself withal as 'under the law of Moses,' p. 105. They build a temple in the new world, and in 55 years after they leave Jerusalem, make a new priesthood which God approbates. A high priest is also consecrated, and yet they are all the while 'teaching the law of Moses, and exhorting the people to keep it! - p.146,209. Thus God is represented as instituting, approbating and blessing a new priesthood from the tribe of Joseph, concerning which Moses gave no commandment concerning priesthood. Although God had promised in the law of Moses, that if any man, not of the tribe and family of Levi and Aaron, should approach the office of priest, he would surely die; he is represented by Smith as blessing, approbating, and sustaining another //12// family in this approbated office. The God of Abraham or Joseph Smith must then be a liar!! And who will hesitate to pronounce him an imposter? This lie runs through his records for the first six hundred years of his story.
Thank you Karen for posing the question and Homer for sending the website.

After careful reading of the "Analysis of the Book of Mormon," by Alexander Campbell, I called my LDS family member and asked for evidence in favor of the BoM. The information is on its way. When it arrives through regular mail, I plan to consider it and post on this forum about it. I look forward to and am excited to view the evidence in favor of the BoM.

While reading the analysis by Campbell, I felt sad as I read apparent emotional explanatives against JS and the BoM.
Campbell's facts seem convincing, but his emotionalism may obstruct the process of understanding.

The Bible teaches that every Christian's goal is to share evenhandedly that information on which a conclusion is made. Isaiah 1:18a, Ps. 133:1, John 14:16, Romans 14:13, Phil 2:14,15, I Peter 4:8

SueAnn*
Jesus said, "I in them and you in Me, that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that you have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me." John 17:23

Jill

Post by Jill » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:42 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Homer

Post by Homer » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:49 pm

Karen,

There is a lot of evidence that Sidney Rigdon was heavily involved in writing the Book of Mormon, and that he knew Joseph Smith prior to the writing of the book.

The following is excerpted from a lengthy investigation by a former Mormon missionary:
TWENTY-TWO PIECES OF EVIDENCE THAT RIGDON PLAYED A CENTRAL ROLE IN THE COMPOSITION OF THE BOOK OF MORMON

In the following sections, I have compiled a list of evidence in support of the view that Sidney Rigdon played a central role in the composition of The Book of Mormon. The evidence falls into four major headings.

Historical evidence connecting Rigdon to Spalding

1. Rigdon shared a post office with Solomon Spalding and evidently frequented a print shop where Spalding had left a manuscript entitled Manuscript Found. For a time, the manuscript disappeared. Spalding reportedly suspected Rigdon had taken it.
2. John Winter reported that Rigdon kept a copy of a Spalding manuscript in his study.
3. Witnesses familiar with Spalding's Manuscript Found testified that it was similar to The Book of Mormon but lacked the religious content.
4. Rigdon and Spalding were independently named as authors before anyone was aware of a connection between them.
5. In 1839, Rigdon wrote a letter denying his role in the composition of The Book of Mormon. His letter contained demonstrable falsehoods.
6. In 1888, Walter Sidney Rigdon - Sidney Rigdon's grandson - said that his grandfather's role in fabrication of The Book of Mormon was a family secret.

Textual and theological evidence implicating Rigdon

7. The theology of Alexander Campbell, Rigdon's mentor, is sprinkled throughout The Book of Mormon.
8. On those issues where Rigdon and Campbell disagreed prior to 1830, The Book of Mormon strongly endorses Rigdon's views.
9. Sections of The Book of Mormon likely added after loss of the first 116 pages in June 1828 describe spiritual rebirth after baptism, consistent with Rigdon's changed beliefs after meeting with Walter Scott in March 1828.
10. The phrase "children of men" appears with exceptionally high frequency in those parts of The Book of Mormon that contain theological content reflecting Rigdon's pre-1830 views.
11. Rigdon is known to have worked with Smith to produce The Book of Moses. The phrase "children of men" appears with high frequency in those parts of The Book of Moses that contain theological content reflecting Rigdon's pre-1830 views.

Historical evidence connecting Rigdon to Smith before 1830

12. Prior to 1830, Rigdon reportedly made several statements in which he indicated his foreknowledge of The Book of Mormon and the impending rise of a new religion.
13. At a Reformed Baptist convention in Aug 1830, Rigdon spoke of a fuller revelation about to come forth and the need for a complete restoration of the gospel.
14. Rigdon denied meeting Smith before 1830, but several people reported seeing him at or near the Smith's prior to that date and Rigdon's calendar contains gaps at critical time periods when he would have had time to visit Smith
15. In 1868 Rigdon wrote a letter in which he claimed to know the contents of the sealed portion of The Book of Mormon
16. James Jeffery, a friend of Rigdon's, testified that in 1844 he heard Rigdon say that Smith used a Spalding manuscript to fabricate The Book of Mormon

Historical evidence related to the long-term relationship between Rigdon and Smith

17. Almost immediately after his baptism, Rigdon acted as though he was in charge of the church. As soon as he officially met Smith, they began work on The Book of Moses, a scripture that endorses Rigdon's 1828 "discovery" of spiritual rebirth after baptism.
18. In March of 1828, the "Revelator" of The Book of Commandments and The Book of Mormon attempted to limit Smith's role to translation only.
19. In 1863 Rigdon said that Smith was supposed to be the Translator and Ridgon the Gatherer of Israel.
20. Rigdon and Smith engaged in a see-saw power struggle that can be understood considering their vulnerabilities and co-dependency.
21. Rigdon and Smith collaborated on joint revelations recorded in the Doctrine and Covenants. They collaborated in changing revelations after the fact. They collaborated on illegal financial transactions.
22. In 1844 Sidney Rigdon seized upon the opportunity of Smith's death, instigating a cynical power grab, threatening to "expose the secrets of the church" and professing new revelations and visions
As previously mentioned, I just read about point #13 in a history of the Church of Christ. Rigdon was well known as a capable, eloquent, and highly ambitious man before he became involved with Smith.

These 22 points are discussed in depth at:

http://www.mormonstudies.com/criddle/rigdon.htm

You will also find analysis of whether Joseph Smith was the sole author.

selah

Post by selah » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:50 pm

karenprtlnd wrote: Sue Ann,

The Bible actually "teaches" out loud nothing. You've continued to say that it is "teaching" me something merely of your own design. It is a body of TEXT that all are as free to read for themselves just as you are. I find the repeated courtroom execution style as if sincerely "pondering", and prosecution railings demanding "evidence" before you'll consider thinking for yourself, both hostile and incessantly combative. Not very convincing of eny actual courtroom skill nor experience with "proportion". Only attacks. Entirely unnecessary under the circumstances, and the copy cat "matching" approach imitative and insulting.
Contrived by some one else, has become redundant in its rediculous conviction of a sophisticated indoctrination. It has been consistanly stabbing, and the endlessly rushing attack has worn my patience.
Karen,

I am sorry. It sounds like our discussion was very painful! You know, if someone else did what you described above, then I would stand with you against them!

(see my post in "Is the Mormon Faith a True Representation of Christianity?" by SueAnn on Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:08 pm.) Also you may want to take note of my thoughts in the "Alexander Campbell, Sidney Rigdon, and the Book of Mormon" thread. In it I wrote, "While reading the analysis by Campbell, I felt sad as I read apparent emotional explanatives against JS and the BoM...his emotionalism may obstruct the process of understanding." In that post, I went on to write that people need "to share evenhandedly." (weighing information without angry-prejudice)

So the message that (I attempted to live by in our discussions) I obviously failed to communicate well is that we can't change history, but in 2009 we can be kind and respectful--even to others with doctrinal differences.

I admit that I sought information which you were apparently not interested in posting, and according to your quote above, this felt like attacks. I am very sorry; I wish I had known this sooner. By Friday, I was convinced you were dissatisfied, so that is when I asked if you want to make a new thread to discuss the topic that you had mentioned: the New Testament. The next day when I saw the new thread having our personal names in it, the "...Live IRC..." thread, I was overjoyed to move forward but curious about the thread's name. Of course, you explained so now I know the thread was not intended for New Testament discussion. And then, I compounded my mistakes by asking what New Testament teaching you were thinking about in the courtyard thread. I meant no harm, only seeking to know your thoughts about the New Testament.

You were absolutely right when you said that I don't have "any actual courtroom skill nor experience..." I'm just a regular person seeking to understand what attracts my oldest son, daughter in law, and grandchildren to the LDS doctrine.

I am not sure if I have addressed your concerns adequately, so when you can will you let me know? You are important. Will you forgive me for my mistakes with you?

Sincerely,
SueAnn* p.s. Although I made blunders and mistakes, I sincerely pray that the love of Jesus is powerful in your life! God bless you!
Jesus said, "I in them and you in Me, that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that you have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me." John 17:23

Return to “Latter Day Saints (aka Mormonism)”