LDS and Evangelicals New Testament Dialogue

Jill

Post by Jill » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:02 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

selah

Re: LDS and Evangelicals New Testament Dialogue

Post by selah » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:26 am

Jill wrote:For instance, if an LDS people (or any other people) were to become more "Sola Scriptura" oriented, would I be safe in assuming that most foriegn doctrines, teachings, and any odd ways of speach, might become self evident merely through simple conversation.
I don't know much, but it seems to me that this comment describes the normal process of repentance and sanctification. I think but am not sure, but I think "repentence" literally means "turn and go the other direction" and I'm pretty sure that "sanctification" means to be "set apart for the Lord."

So when a person chooses to live according to "Sola Scriptura" they will "turn and go the other direction" in some matters, be it in their thinking, speaking or actions. They will also find themselves "set apart" for God. For instance, when tempted to sin (in thought, word or deed) they choose to set themselves apart, i.e. separate themselves from the thing that would offend the Lord.

An example in my own life is that although I loved God very much, I thought that God might be female. When I read Jesus' instructions to say "Our Father" (and many other verses), I decided to obey His directive and stop taking my thoughts where He indicated not to go. I no longer pray to a mother god. So as my example illustrates, conversations change---those with the Lord Himself and with people too. These become more and more self-evident as time goes by, so I think you are right.

A natual outgrowth of repentance and sanctification will be that foreign doctrines will no longer be entertained. God's word will take priority and His words will be thought and in turn, spoken of in conversation. The same is true for His teachings. Many times, I have heard a teaching that was unfamiliar to me. It was at that time that I am challenged to change my mind and follow His word more closely.

No one should stand in judgement over another Christian as we are all seeking to be on the path following Jesus. I don't think all 12 disciples understood absolutely everything Jesus said in the same way and Jesus was always encouraging their unity and faith. As contemporary Christians continue to walk with Jesus--- although He no longer is visible to our physical eyes---we are still fellow-followers of His. Christians should encourage one another.
Jesus said, "I in them and you in Me, that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that you have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me." John 17:23

Jill

Post by Jill » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:23 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:12 pm

Since LDS and Evangelicals differ in their concept of the Godhead, and since salvation is not dependent upon knowing every jot and tittle of theology, I am starting this dialogue in John 14:1. "Let not your heart be troubled; ye believe in God, believe also in Me."

I think right before this Jesus said he gives us his peace not the peace of the world therefore his peace transcends everything, yet even believers often feel stressed in a very stressful world. So do we really believe Jesus words in our hearts, not just in our minds.

selah

Post by selah » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:37 pm

Jill wrote:Is what I was getting at was that if one were to use just The Bible only in when engaging in conversation with other christians, why the contest for belief only dialogue?
What if conversation was less of a contest, and more like children playing "show and tell?" :)
Jesus said, "I in them and you in Me, that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that you have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me." John 17:23

Jill

Post by Jill » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:40 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

selah

Post by selah » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:40 am

Jill wrote:
Jill wrote:Is what I was getting at was that if one were to use just The Bible only when engaging in conversation with other christians, why the contest for "belief dialogue" only?
selah wrote: "What if conversation was less of a contest, and more like children playing "show and tell?" :)
selah,

Freedom of religion and freedom of speech would make this sort of "childs play" difficult. If I am actually free and attend to my rights of both freedom of religion and freedom of speech, and my personal religion happens to end up different than yours, this is no light matter to me. I would like you to explain how it is possible, as a friend, that you happened to have ended up in a completely different religion than me.
Maybe this post will explain why "Show and Tell" is an important concept to hold in the act of "belief dialogue."

Two verses direct us when we dialogue. They are found in Matt. 18:3, "Assuredly I say to you...unless you...become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven," and Matt. 10:16, "...be wise as serpants and harmless as doves."

Recently I started reading a book entitled, "Called to Greatness" by Ron Hutchcraft. Here is a lengthy but interesting quote. The author states,

"Many of us were still pretty new to this school thing...when our teacher introduced us to..."Show and Tell." We had to bring...something...that we thought would be interesting...Of course, you could not just give a speech...No, you could not just tell...you had to show...But neither was it acceptable to ...(say) nothing...you had to tell..."

"God believes in show and tell, particularly when it comes to our communicating the good news about His Son. Because He has committed to us the message of reconciliation" (2 Cor 5:19) and assigned us to be "Christ's ambassadors" (verse 20), there is a lot riding on how well we represent Jesus and deliver His message. The eternity of people you care about depends on their verdict about Jesus, and their verdict may very well hinge on you as the living proof of Jesus in their lives."

"But...you can't just show what you have...you have to tell about it...The folks around you could watch you for fifty years but they are not ever going to figure out the gospel that way...You have to...'go and tell' " (Matt 28:10)

Excerpts from the book entitled, "Called to Greatness," by Ron Hutchcraft. pages( 55, 56)

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:47 am

Excellent!

selah

Post by selah » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:49 pm

Jill wrote: selah,

... I would like you to explain how it is possible, as a friend, that you happened to have ended up in a completely different religion than me.
Hi Jill, how are you? :) I have thought about your query many times over the past couple of weeks and finally have an explanation. Of course, this is subjective because I can only offer my point of view.

If I have our history right, then both the LDS and SDA religions grew out of a similar spiritual phenomenon occurring in the 1840's. Both religions have at least one assertion in common: that "truth" had been submerged for centuries and now, in the 1840's, "truth" was re-emerging from within the denomination.

About 110+ years later we were both born, you in your LDS religion and me in my SDA religion. We both grew up being indoctrinated into the beliefs therein and we both adhered to the writings of our unique prophets, Joseph Smith and Ellen G. White respectively.

To liken us to fellow sojourners, our paths were dissimilar in one apparent respect, our response to childhood religious training. You remained on your childhood path walking with Jesus from within your LDS organization, whereas I on the other hand left my childhood path (the SDA organization) to search for what I thought of as "the real truth."

Over the years, you continued reading the writings of the LDS prophet and the KJV, but I stopped reading the writings of the SDA prophet and the KJV. In time (25 to 30 years later) our paths converged on the Narrow Path forum where we both read the Bible; you read the KJV and I read the NKJV.

Our "completely different religion(s)" you wrote about may be because you continue to view religious thought from within your LDS denominational foundation, whereas I view religious thought from outside my SDA denominational foundation. To say the very least, I had a 24 year break from the Bible and a 35 year break from EGW, whereas you have faithfully read the writings of JS alongside the KJV. Naturally, I wonder if you would change some of your religious beliefs if you took an extended break from reading the writings of JS, while continuing to read only (and pray about) the KJV.

It is wonderful that we both follow Jesus. I believe we are both trying to denounce false teachings of our childhood religions so to walk in more truth that Jesus taught. As we follow Jesus, the Holy Spirit will guide our paths "into all truth." (John 16:13-15)

I hope you do not find offense in this post because there is absolutely none intended, only an honest attempt to respond "as a friend."

In Jesus,
Selah*
Last edited by selah on Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jill

Post by Jill » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:42 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Latter Day Saints (aka Mormonism)”