How can you trust the Book of Momon

SamMcNear

How can you trust the Book of Momon

Post by SamMcNear » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:55 pm

Questions I have about the Book of Mormon

:?: Can you show me archeological and historical proof from non-Mormon sources that prove that the peoples and places named in the Book of Mormon are true?

:?: If the Book of Mormon was engraved on gold plates thousands of years ago, why does it read in perfect 1611 King James Version English?

:?: Why do the Bible verses quoted in the Book of Mormon contain the italicized words from the King James Version that were added into the KJV text by the translators in the 16th and 17th centuries?

:?: If the Book of Mormon contains the “fulness of the everlasting gospel”, why does the LDS Church need additional works? Why doesn’t it say anything about so many important teachings such as eternal progression, celestial marriage, the Word of Wisdom, the plurality of Gods, the pre-existence of man, our mother in heaven, baptism for the dead, etc?

:?: If the Book of Mormon is the most correct of any book on earth, as Joseph Smith said, why does it contain over 4000 changes from the original 1830 edition?

:?: Why does the Book of Mormon state that Jesus was born in Jerusalem (Alma 7:10) when history and the Bible state that he was born outside of Jerusalem, in Bethlehem?

If my facts are wrong please correct me but these are true questions I have about the integrity of the Book of Momon

If you need to answer one question at a time please pick one and tackle it 1st :)

Sam

Jill

Post by Jill » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:40 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

SamMcNear

Re: How can you trust the Book of Momon

Post by SamMcNear » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:53 pm

One at a time is ok with, thanks

Jill

Post by Jill » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:52 am

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SamMcNear

Post by SamMcNear » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:58 am

Questions and comments

I listed the comments as you listed your answers

a.) The Book of Mormon itself in its current condition takes me to another question asked in the first post. Doesn’t it contain over 4000 changes from the original 1830 edition?

b.) Do you have the photo of the plates? or have you ever seen it or them? Here is what I have heard about these plates and my opinion:
i. The angel Moroni supposedly revealed the golden plates that had been buried in Smith’s neighborhood near Palmyra, New York, back in AD 421. Smith supposedly found the plates by using “peep stones,” magical rocks he put in a hat. The characters on the plates were supposedly written in “reformed Egyptian” hieroglyphics. Smith claimed he translated the plates by using “Urim and Thummim,” a set of miraculous glasses. The golden plates supposedly disappeared soon thereafter. This book was published in 1830, and is known as the Book of Mormon.
ii. My opinion: These plates have so much controversy attached to them it is very hard to trust anything about them. To name a few controversies, 1. How Smith found the plates, was it Jesus, an angel or Jesus and angel that told him about them? 2. How some of the book translated perfectly from the King James Version of the bible a before the King James Version was written. 3. The translation of the plates, some say was completely wrong.

c.)
i. The fact that the book of Mormon mentions anything from the bible like Zedekiah King of Judah doesn’t prove that it is inspired or that it is historical. All that proves to me is that the author knew of Zedekiah King of Judah.
ii. You say
“ Using a Nelsons three in one for instance, a person (me) was able to follow each name, if even just in part, to Old Testament beginnings. This enlightens the mind enough to show, even if in fiction, just how creative these early authors would have had to have been in order to captured the authenticity of both time and people, as is found in the pages of The Book of Mormon This is not the writing of an amateur essayist or novelist, either one, as its records are full of such great detail, yet left vague and open ended enough to prove that a story was not its purpose. ”
. When Smith was around the Bible was the book most studied by all and taught in school. Just because someone can create a story that links to the Bible doesn’t prove it’s inspired by God. Look at the Lord of the Rings J.R.R. Tolkien even created several different languages from scratch. No one would say The Lord of the Rings is a Holy book just because Tolkien created such an elaborate story. Ok a few wierdo's maybe LOL
iii. You also say
“An author of fiction could not have resisted to fill in these many left out details and small events with his own colours of detail and texture.”
If someone was trying to trick you in believing what he wrote was inspired like the Bible then he would wrote it like the Bible. The story detail or gaps don’t prove it’s inspired or true.
iv. It sure is convenient that the original plates are in the ground so no one can see them. I would think if it’s the truth then it would be displayed. Ok maybe with high security but what is the Mormons afraid of?

My over all thoughts: all of the Americas have been searched archeologically and there has never been any evidence found of any of the people groups from the book of Mormons from the Americas. I would have to say that this is one of the strongest reasons I don’t trust the book of Mormons.

I hope my bluntness isn't taken as an attack I'm just stating it as I see it so if I'm in error someone can correct me and help me understand where I'm wrong :)

Jill

Post by Jill » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:12 am

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jill

Post by Jill » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:30 pm

SamMcNear

Post by SamMcNear » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:52 pm

I can't trust the book of Mormons the same why I trust the Bible for the book of Mormons just doesn't have the evidence of being truly from God as the Bible does.
Why I trust the Bible I feel the book Evidence that demands a verdict by Josh McDowell says it best. Read the 1st 4 chapters and you will see why I trust the Bible, but the book of Mormons can’t say these things about it’s self:

Chapter 1: The Uniqueness of the Bible http://www.angelfire.com/sc3/myredeemer/Evidencep3.html
An intelligent person who is seeking truth would certainly read and consider a book that has the historical qualifications of the Bible. These unique qualifications separate the Scriptures from any book that has ever been written.

Chapter 2: How Was the Bible Prepared? http://www.angelfire.com/sc3/myredeemer/Evidencep4.html
What materials were used? When did chapter and verse divisions come about? Why is the Bible divided the way it is?

Chapter 3: The Canon http://www.angelfire.com/sc3/myredeemer/Evidencep5.html
Why do we have just 39 Old Testament books and 27 New Testament books? What about the Apocrypha? Why are the other books not included in the Bible?

Chapter 4: The Reliability of the Bible http://www.angelfire.com/sc3/myredeemer/Evidencep7.html

Part 1 - Confirmation of the Historical Text http://www.angelfire.com/sc3/myredeemer/Evidencep7.html
The accusation that the Old and New Testaments are not reliable is dealt with here. Several tests for the reliability and accuracy of a piece of literature are outlined; these tests are applied to the Scriptures and then a comparison is made between the historicity of the Bible and classical literature. The logical conclusion based upon evidence is that if one rejects the Bible as being reliable, then, if he is consistent and uses the same tests, he must throw out all classical literature and disregard their historical testimony.

Part 2 - Confirmation by Archaeology http://www.angelfire.com/sc3/myredeemer/Evidencep9.html
The trustworthiness of Scripture is confirmed by specific, documented, archaeological discoveries. Testimonies are given of skeptics who have had their attitudes toward the Bible radically changed as a result of archaeological investigation.

Read more of the book here http://www.angelfire.com/sc3/myredeemer/Evidence.html

Jill

Post by Jill » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:14 pm

Jill

Post by Jill » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:30 pm

Return to “Latter Day Saints (aka Mormonism)”