Questions for Mormons

lee

Questions for Mormons

Post by lee » Wed May 19, 2010 11:18 am

This list was posted some time ago and I spent some time reading the responses to these questions and the exchanges that followed.
1. How many gods are there?

2. Did God work His way up to being God?

3. Can we (you, me, anyone) become a god?

4. Are the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and The Pearl of the Great Price all divinely inspired?

Thank you for your time in anwsering these questions.
What I discovered was that no real answers were given and that in the close of the thread, it seemed as though an idea emerged that Christians and Mormons should come together for fellowship. I was disappointed to see that questions were not directly answered, as these were simple yes/no questions except for #1. I would restate #1 thus:

1. Is there more than one god?

I also find it very odd that fellowship is sought despite the clear prohibition against "inquiring about the worship of others gods" and against communing with those who have distorted the gospel and teach doctrines of demons. In fact, they are referred to as "condemned" (Galatians 1:8-9).

Can direct answers be provided?

Jill

Post by Jill » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:56 pm

Last edited by Jill on Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

selah

Re: Questions for Mormons

Post by selah » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:52 am

lee wrote:This list was posted some time ago and I spent some time reading the responses to these questions and the exchanges that followed.
1. How many gods are there?

2. Did God work His way up to being God?

3. Can we (you, me, anyone) become a god?

4. Are the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and The Pearl of the Great Price all divinely inspired?

Thank you for your time in anwsering these questions.
What I discovered was that no real answers were given and that in the close of the thread, it seemed as though an idea emerged that Christians and Mormons should come together for fellowship. I was disappointed to see that questions were not directly answered, as these were simple yes/no questions except for #1. I would restate #1 thus:

1. Is there more than one god?

I also find it very odd that fellowship is sought despite the clear prohibition against "inquiring about the worship of others gods" and against communing with those who have distorted the gospel and teach doctrines of demons. In fact, they are referred to as "condemned" (Galatians 1:8-9).

Can direct answers be provided?
Lee, I am the mother of a son who became LDS 20 years ago when he was 18. I have limited understanding of the beliefs of his religion but will answer as best as I know. If I am wrong, I hope to be corrected.

1. How many gods are there? An un-numbered amount. Each populated world in the universe has its own god.

2. Did God work His way up to being God? yes

3. Can we (you, me, anyone) become a god? No, a woman cannot become a god, but she may become the wife ( or one of the wives) of a god. Men may become gods if they grow enough in that direction.

4. Are the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and The Pearl of the Great Price all divinely inspired? yes

Lee, I have a fairly open relationship with my son so I am planning to email him your questions and answers to see if I got them right. I plan to let you know what grade I get! ;)

selah*:)
Jesus said, "I in them and you in Me, that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that you have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me." John 17:23

Jill

Post by Jill » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:48 pm

Last edited by Jill on Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jill

Post by Jill » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:30 pm

Last edited by Jill on Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jill

Post by Jill » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:50 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:18 pm, edited 33 times in total.

Jill

Post by Jill » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:30 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jill

Post by Jill » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:59 pm

selah

Re: Questions for Mormons

Post by selah » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:41 am

I thought I would get back to this thread and share what my LDS son said. I'll just copy and paste what he wrote me via email.
Mom, this is interesting and no, I am not offended.
1. The number of Gods is a loaded question. Joseph Smith taught "as man is God once was" and a central theme of the LDS doctrine is that men and women can become "kings and Queens, priests and priestesses forever" faith in Jesus Christ, His mercy, and obedience to Gospel Principles. This is not to say that when someone dies in mortality they instantly become a God. I speculate this process take an eternity to get there.
As for the number of gods, there are three: Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and The Holy Ghost, the three members of the God Head. I am not sure I agree that each populated universe has its own god. I will have to look that up.
3. I disagree. Woman was created as a helpmeet for man. We have a heavenly mother and LDS doctrine acknowledges that. Her role, powers, and priesthood authority is not known nor, I believe taught, by the mainstream LDS Church. I speculate there are different roles for each godly parent but that does not mean that one becomes a god and the other is a servant.
Love
(my son's name)
Lee, thanks for your questions. Are you LDS? Why did you ask the four questions? I'm always in search of Truth and greater understanding of other people's beliefs and while it is true that my son and I believe vastly different theology, we love each other and always show lovingkindness toward each other. I would like to relate the same with all people.

With much respect,
Selah*
Jesus said, "I in them and you in Me, that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that you have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me." John 17:23

Jill

Post by Jill » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:25 pm

Return to “Latter Day Saints (aka Mormonism)”