RE: Billy Graham & Mitt Romney 2012

Singalphile

Re: RE: Billy Graham & Mitt Romney 2012

Post by Singalphile » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:57 am

Interesting stats.
k-s wrote:
It is plausible that four or eight years of sympathizing with and identifying with a Mormon president, in the course of ongoing political struggle, might attenuate some persons' antagonism toward Mormons in general.
I suppose, but the president can be a lot of things. He could be a Hawaiian or a Pennsylvanian or a Left-hander or black or white or Methodist or Catholic or Mormon or generically-"christian" or a fan of a particular sports team or whatever. But at least for me, when I think of Obama or Romney (or any politician), none of those things occur to me. I just think of Democratic or Liberal or Republican or Conservative. I don't think that most people associate the president with whatever religion or denominational beliefs he holds. Why would they? When I think about it, I think I know that Pelosi is Catholic and Reid is LDS and Biden is Catholic (I think) and Ryan is Catholic and Bush is Methodist and Obama is, er, whatever that Jeremiah Wright was (I don't think he attends now), but I know that that never occurs to me when I read about them. I just don't think people, in general, sympathize or identify with the president like that. I suppose that Mormons might, just as some black people do with Obama.

I'm certain that some people have tried to use opposing candidates' non-mainstream religious beliefs to try to peal away some support and they'll bring it up as often as possible (true of Obama and Romney, I think), but at least from my experience with the regular people I work with and talk to on a daily basis, it doesn't come up and no one cares or even knows.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Perry

Post by Perry » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:20 pm

kaufmannphillips wrote: It is plausible that four or eight years of sympathizing with and identifying with a Mormon president, in the course of ongoing political struggle, might attenuate some persons' antagonism toward Mormons in general.
Wasn't there a similar issue raised with regard to catholicism when Kennedy was elected?

In any event, I've never been antagonistic towards Mormons. I have several very close friends who are Mormon and we often have in-depth religious discussions.

That doesn't mean I would defend their theology by a long stretch.

steve

Post by steve » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:13 pm

I feel the same way. I think everybody should be more civil to everybody, including to Mormons. Having a good impression of a person doesn't automatically translate into acceptance of their theology. That is a hurdle that has to be leaped separately.

If we fear that people liking Mormons better would incline more people to consider their theology objectively—this is probably true. Why should we fear that people will consider their theology objectively? Is it because it gives the Mormons unfair advantage against us, since few people are willing to consider our theology objectively? Then, perhaps we should be more like real Christians (as Mormons, in some ways, are). Our theology and theirs will not seem equally credible when both are examined objectively. It may be the behavior and lifestyles of (professing) Christians that hold people back, in many cases, from caring what we have to say.

Of course, most people will reject what we say anyway, because they love their sin. Those folks, it seems to me, will not likely be the ones most attracted to Mormonism.

Tychicus

Post by Tychicus » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:47 am

steve wrote:I think everybody should be more civil to everybody, including to Mormons.
Has anyone here been bombarded with political emails, of a very uncivil nature?

Most of what I get is anti-Obama, very personal, and often racial (well, really anti-foreigner or anti Muslim). And this from professing Christians, active members of conservative churches. I only recall one anti-Mormon, but that was anti-Obama as well.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:54 pm

Tychicus wrote:
Has anyone here been bombarded with political emails, of a very uncivil nature? Most of what I get is anti-Obama, very personal, and often racial (well, really anti-foreigner or anti Muslim).
No, but I don't doubt that it's rampant, and it's inexcusable, I think.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

kaufmannphillips

Post by kaufmannphillips » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:34 pm

steve wrote:
If we fear that people liking Mormons better would incline more people to consider their theology objectively—this is probably true. Why should we fear that people will consider their theology objectively?
People liking Mormons better might eventually incline more people to consider their theology, not only objectively, but charitably.

Like it or not, many people "feel" their way through life. And when they like somebody, they may be more inclined to engage his/her quirks or imperfections charitably - overlooking them, and/or minimizing them, and/or making excuses for them, and/or being non-committal about them.

When the social barriers between Evangelical Christianity and Mormonism have eroded to a low enough point, the theological barriers will retain little importance in the minds of many people.
Perry wrote:
Wasn't there a similar issue raised with regard to catholicism when Kennedy was elected?
I imagine the Kennedy presidency helped attenuate anti-Catholic sentiment in American culture. And though that was not the only contributing factor, today the social barriers between Catholicism and Evangelicalism are much lower than they used to be, and the remaining theological barriers are quite unimportant in the minds of many.

steve

Post by steve » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:16 am

Fifty years after Kennedy's death, which seems only to have canonized him in the minds of many, I think Roman Catholicism is still experiencing tremendous public relations challenges in the USA—though not necessarily in the sentiments of evangelicals.

As for Romney making Mormons more likable to the general public...I'm not sure he is the one who is most likely to charm the nation. Most people in pols see to find him stiff and not particularly personally appealing. I don't think he is as conservative as most evangelicals hope he will be, and it may be that his only real appeal is the Anyone-But-Obama factor.

jriccitelli

Post by jriccitelli » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:50 am

As an ex-Mormon and as someone who spends a lot of time and energy trying to show people they need to leave Mormonism, I fully support Governor Romney. (Yet not as conservative as I like, but for free enterprise and Christian morals)
Even though I wonder how anyone ('if' he does) could possibly believe in a church that teaches that the Garden of Eden was located in Jackson County, Missouri (!), and that three invisible Nephite apostles have been walking the earth for the past 2000 years (!), I trust he likes his church for the 'good' that they 'try' to attain to.

I do also consider the Mormon White horse prophecy (look it up if you want) as something I would be concerned with, but I also think evangelicals get a little too worried over it. I do not think a 2 term Mormon president could drag in the New World order and set up Mormonism as the world religion, there are too many difficulties and problems with the whole white horse prophecy (the interpretation of it) thing, sure save the constitution if it is hanging by a thread, but still Josephs prophecies don’t come true anyways, right.

I don’t know if Governor Romney is saved or not, but I do know that many Mormons act more Christian than Christians. Many people who are not Christian are more trustworthy and honest than some Christians (Jesus did, after all, come for sinners). And if a person does act trust worthy, is honest, reliable, reveres righteousness then that is who I want.
Some 'professing' Christians have gotten us in plenty of messes, and have ignored the ungodly deficient and spending by our Government. It makes me sick.

I agree, some other candidates may have been my preference (Bachman, Santorum), but I vote lower taxes and smaller Govt. Never the less though, I believe Mitt is a Patriot, and so am I.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:19 pm

I think Roman Catholicism is still experiencing tremendous public relations challenges in the USA—though not necessarily in the sentiments of evangelicals.

As for Romney making Mormons more likable to the general public...I'm not sure he is the one who is most likely to charm the nation. Most people in pols see to find him stiff and not particularly personally appealing.

I think Roman Catholicism's biggest problems are with their own flock. As for Mitt i think women are starting to sense his inner charm.

MMathis

Post by MMathis » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:09 pm

I think someone's religion has a great deal to do with how they will operate in any job.

Yes, I remember my uncle wringing his hands at the thought of a possible win by John F Kenedy. Sunday closing laws, etc..

If religion doesn't matter, then a Muslim that wants Sharia (sp) law should be just dandy as our President.
(I'm not referring to Obama. I don't know if he is Muslim or not, he just seems to like them.) He refers to the "Holy" Koran
and last time I looked, my Bible says "The Holy Bible" on the cover, but he does not use that term.

If Billy Graham had endorsed Obama, almost everything Graham ever preached would have to be called into question.
MMathis
Las Vegas NV

Return to “Latter Day Saints (aka Mormonism)”