an lds view of: The Church, current. Its people.

Jill

Post by Jill » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:09 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

selah

Re: (an) lds view of: The Church, current.

Post by selah » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:22 pm

My point of this Quetzalcoatl thing, is that it is nowhere in scripture. It is however found in Mexico lore, and can be found in a New Age kind of book entitled "He Walked The Americas" and has nothing to do with church. It is actually mere conjecture by the sheer fantasy based crowd. There is just no way to stop these fantasy based people, and I apologize.
I had never heard of this before so I thought you were using a made-up word. Thanks for helping me understand.

TNP topics have been very cool for LDS folks while driving for instance, and may also intrest your son. So might some great christian music CD's, without challenging re-conversion, insulting, or being divisive in any way, and everyone is always free to attend !

Your comments would be so insightful in furthering LDS/Evangelical communications.Sue Ann, you had asked if other LDS listen to TNP. Yes. LDS listen to Christian radio also. I was working in the library one sunday, and an elder came up to me and said that he had me on the radio that week. I had hoped that was ok, and he thought it was ok also. TNP at 2pm M-F is for everyone I think.

That is really good news, Karen. I am glad some LDS are choosing to listen to TNP. And yes, you are right, TNP is for everyone! :)
Jesus said, "I in them and you in Me, that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that you have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me." John 17:23

Jill

Post by Jill » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:03 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jill

Post by Jill » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:05 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jill

Post by Jill » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:05 pm

selah

Re: an lds view of: The Church, current. Its people.

Post by selah » Tue May 05, 2009 1:38 pm

Something happened in my life a long time ago and I have always remembered it with fondness. I want to share the experience and this thread looks like the best place to post it. The reason I am sharing it is because this story illustrates an experience that one LDS missionary had with me. If the aged timeline of almost two decades old is contemporary enough, then the "...current. Its people" thread is the right place to reminesce.

About 18 years ago, I lived in the country with my three children ages 15, 5 and 3. I was a conservative mom, trying to raise my children on "Christian" principles without adhering to any theology, of sorts. In fact, my thinking was new-age and I have to say, I have come to believe I was wrong, as the Bible says. Yet through it all, I would pray almost daily to this unknown God as, "God, if you're there....."

One way that I tried to stay close to God's principles was through simple country living. I loved being on our hillside in the western Oregon coastal range. We couldn't see any other homes from our hill so it seemed all the more secluded and I loved it! Another thing that I valued was pure food so I started raising some rabbits for home-grown food. Having had a rabbitry before, I knew my squeamishness against twisting those sweet little bunny necks, so I bought a 22 rifle to ensure that on slaughter day, they would be out of misery quickly.

The first litter grew too quickly and I knew that I could not procrastinate their slaughter another day. So with resolve, I gathered the necessary supplies and then pondered and paced the yard with my 22 in-hand. The more I procrastinated, the more I procrastinated. Then, I heard a car drive into our lone driveway.

I positioned the rifle over my shoulder and turned the corner of our wrap-around path that led from the house to the driveway. There before me stood two Latter Day Saint missionaries finely clothed in black suits and white shirts, toting their thick zipper book cases under arm. Immediately I assessed the situation and felt like I might look ominous to them. Obviously, I was right because these young men stood paralyzed in their tracks.

I tried to smile but my mood was already preparing me to "kill the fatted calf" so still to this day, I think my appearance gave them pause to wonder... One of the two, the brave young Troy O. (I later discovered he was from a farm in Idaho.) said something like, "Do you know Jesus Christ and will you let us tell you about HIM?" With hope in my heart (for someone to rescue me from this job! :) ) I quickly replied, "I HAVE to slaughter my rabbits so if you will wait until that is done, I will listen!"

Troy responded, "I would love to help you slaughter your rabbits but I don't have the right kind of clothes to help." Miraculously, my seamstress genious kicked in and I assured him that I had "just the thing! Wait right here," I said. While the children "entertained" the missionaries, I spread an old blanket on the livingroom floor and cut out a full body apron right there on the spot. The image just jumped out at me because I really did NOT want to kill (or gut) those rabbits! Within minutes I walked outside and handed the apron to Troy and he was suited and prepared just that fast.

There were only four bunnies and they "went" quickly. Troy knew just what he was doing. I watched and re-learned (from my limited experience of years ago). As Troy handed me the stainless steel bowl that now held my fresh meat, he asked with a smile on his face, "Now will you listen?"

My heart melted. How could I refuse? I asked him to let me wash them, package and pack them in the freezer and then...we sat down and discussed things of God, Troy's and his LDS companion's faith, my lack of faith, as well as my limited faith, of sorts. In later weeks and months, I studied the LDS lessons with Troy and his various companions (as they seemed to move fairly quickly and frequently.) I even attended the local ward off and on for about 1 1/2 years! Although I did not become an LDS, I have always remembered the true-to-life missionary effort of this young man who was willing to literally get his hands dirty so he could bring me his understanding of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Several times during my short time of knowing him, he showed the love of Jesus in ways such as through his compassionate words, gentle persuasion, patience and unconditional kindness when I declined LDS membership---and of course, through his willingness to help in the practical matters of life. I like to think this could be a common example of current LDS people and their ministry.

Whether you are an Evangelical, Catholic, Non-Denominational or Latter Day Saint, wouldn't it be nice if those of us who profess to have a message of love would back it up with helping hands and Christlike attitude? Troy did, and he made a lasting impression upon me. I haven't seen him in over 17 1/2 years so he is probably in his late 30's now, but when I think of him, I always pray a prayer of respect, gratitude and hope for that young man and his family. Who knows, maybe we'll be neighbors in the new earth! :)

...edited for greater clarity, I hope! :D
Jesus said, "I in them and you in Me, that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that you have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me." John 17:23

Jill

Post by Jill » Sun May 17, 2009 6:03 pm

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sun May 17, 2009 10:28 pm

karenprtlnd wrote: What do you think. And how many LDS so you personally actually even know?
How interesting, Karen. I know quite a few. Maybe the LDS have more of a presence in my area than in yours. This area was settled by LDS 150 years ago, although Brigham Young called the pioneers back to Utah after a while. Maybe some stayed here, or some returned here later.

selah

Post by selah » Sun May 17, 2009 10:40 pm

karenprtlnd wrote:There are many really nice people I think. I don't think that there are as many "mormons" as the LDS marketing and records department would like the nation to believe however. In Idaho and Utah there maybe towns of them, but I don't think there are as many as you might think. How many do you actually know personally for instance. I am LDS, live in Oregon, and I know almost none outside of our meeting on Sunday. They may not be as big of a problem as the common church public might be led to believe. I actually know very few, which led me to listening to christian radio and attempting to participate on this particular forum. The Temples just are not that busy, nor are those big brick church buildings that full. I'm hoping that more and more christians would welcome an LDS or two into their personal fellowships (selah provided the underline) every once in awhile.

What do you think. And how many LDS so you personally actually even know?
Karen, I "know" you and you are welcome in my personal fellowships. :D

I know my family....a very nice family. Of course, I know my grand children. ( I digress! :D I have been allowed to sing a home-grown Biblical song to my grand children. The oldest was a toddler when I first sang it to them and they loved it. They called it "the Power song." Sometimes they would say, "will you sing me the Power Song?" It goes like this, "My God didn't give me a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. My heart won't tremble or be afraid, because of HIS love, HE gives to me. For you did not receive a spirit of bondage, again to fear, but you will receive--power! when the Holy Spirit, comes upon you.....my GOD didn't give you a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind...........") :D

I recently "met" --through phone and email-- a health-minded LDS lady living in Idaho. On the phone, I shared the story about the missionaries with her and that gave me the idea to post it on this forum. Years ago, I knew a very special lady and her husband, but they divorced and she moved away and I have missed her terribly...About that same time, I attended the LDS ward fairly regularly for about 1 1/2 years. During the time I went to the LDS ward, I met a lady --a great friend-- and she and I had many many conversations about "religion" until she left the LDS church and moved. My 20-something children grew up with an LDS young man (I have known him since he was 16) and I had spoken with him about Jesus--and to his Evangelical wife. We had a couple of Bible studies in their home. My son-in-law gave his life to Jesus in one of those meetings! :D My daughter and son-in-law have changed lives in Jesus Christ! A couple of years ago, I worked in a six month volunteer project with an LDS lady. She and I shared several conversations of importance to me (she had been a missionary in a Muslim country) but after the project, we both got busy. I attempted to have fellowship about conversations of God, but....

My greatest sorrow in dealing with LDS (sisters) feels to me to be their desire to distance themselves or keep conversation away from the Bible. It seems that we get into a conversation and then...they trail off into...have to go...change the subject...

One last example without details: ... we have never prayed my way in front of each other, and I miss that very much! And you may ask what is my way of praying? Well, I'll give you an example. Once, I emailed a prayer based upon Psalms 91. I received a phone call and request that I not send more prayers. I submitted, but have always felt sad to NOT be welcome to pray outloud in the presense of (or via email.)

Do you think there is a mutual discomfort between LDS and Evangelicals? If so, is there a breakthrough plan that we could implement? ;)
Last edited by selah on Mon May 18, 2009 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

selah

Post by selah » Sun May 17, 2009 10:55 pm

Michelle wrote:
karenprtlnd wrote: What do you think. And how many LDS so you personally actually even know?
How interesting, Karen. I know quite a few. Maybe the LDS have more of a presence in my area than in yours. This area was settled by LDS 150 years ago, although Brigham Young called the pioneers back to Utah after a while. Maybe some stayed here, or some returned here later.
Michelle, what a cute little lamb! :D It is good to "see" ya!

Return to “Latter Day Saints (aka Mormonism)”