an lds view of: The Church, current. Its people.

karenstricycle

an lds view of: The Church, current. Its people.

Post by karenstricycle » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:48 pm

Last edited by karenstricycle on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:37 pm, edited 6 times in total.

karenstricycle

Post by karenstricycle » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:10 pm

Last edited by karenstricycle on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darinhouston

Re: LDS view of The Church

Post by darinhouston » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:02 pm

For the same reason I'm not Muslim, I think. I guess, fundamentally, I don't have any reason to believe Joseph Smith has apostolic or any other divine authority to rewrite or create scripture, and the historic truth claims (those I'm aware of anyway) of the LDS don't bear the mark of authenticity to me.

I put it to you in another way in another thread -- why are you LDS and what do you find in the Book of Mormon or other LDS teachings that you believe are "missing" from Christianity or otherwise necessary ?

karenstricycle

Post by karenstricycle » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:59 pm

Last edited by karenstricycle on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

karenstricycle

Post by karenstricycle » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:45 pm

Last edited by karenstricycle on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

karenstricycle

Post by karenstricycle » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:10 pm

Last edited by karenstricycle on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jill

Post by Jill » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:27 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jill

Post by Jill » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:08 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mdh

Re: (An) LDS view of The Church, curreI am nt.

Post by mdh » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:30 pm

Karen,
karenprtlnd wrote:Re-Roman Catholic and The Bible. Of Sat Feb 21, 2009
popeman, tom, and mdh,

I consider myself in the Church that steve has discribed on numerous occasions. Those who believe and follow Jesus Christ. Yet I am also of an affiliation which happens to be LDS for what ever reasons. In the "truer" Church which steve has referred to, of the One true living God, its "members" do not necessarily agree nor disagree, nor have to. Paul and Peter did not necessarily agree nor did all the church members who Paul had addressed his admonitions to. The last "authority" would have to be the individual man himself, not a Pope, nor a President. For instance USA Pres.Obama does not know me though I happen to live in the United States, and he IS "President". I am basicaly a sound minded person, and any reminder policy created for a unsound minded person, I probably would not even notice.

The Roman Catholic Church has publish so much material by now, that it is hardly recognizable when compared to scripture. The LDS has backed itself also into a very tight corner as well. There is also so much more than just scripture in print. Good luck LDS administrative body, if Joseph Smiths name for instance had been cleared of polygammy since 1842 by a document published by Eliza R. Snow, and LDS Church had failed to announce this.
I am one of the people you addressed this to. I do not see any questions in it, but I am guessing since you addressed it to me (as well as others) you wish for some feedback.

From my observations of you since you joined this forum, my impressions is that you are a fellow seeker after truth. You seem to desire to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ, and obey His commands. We have these things in common, so I can call you a sister.

My guess is that both of us have things we believe that are wrong. It is a journey that we are both on to learn and follow our Lord.

I appreciate your participation in this forum!

Blessings,
Mike

steve

Re: (An) LDS view of The Church, current.

Post by steve » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:05 pm

That would be my assessment, as well. Nonetheless, like Darin, I see no reason the credit Joseph Smith's special claims about himself, nor his doctrines, with special authority. That is why I could not be in the LDS, where acceptance of Smith's prophetic authority stands as a foundational doctrine.

I also believe that Smith's views of God and of Jesus are not agreeable with the teachings of the Bible, which does have divine authority. So my view would be that an LDS can be a true seeker and follower of Christ on the road to greater understand—but I am afraid that the exaltation of Smith's writings to the level of scripture does not assist one in that pursuit.

Nonetheless, we are all glad to accept you, Karen, among us as a participant in our search after more of Jesus and the truth.

Return to “Latter Day Saints (aka Mormonism)”