Obama Says Islam a "revealed" Religion!

Homer

Obama Says Islam a "revealed" Religion!

Post by Homer » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:50 am

Quoted from an article by Eugene Robinson, columnist for the Washington Times:
...and being able to say, as the president did in Cairo, that "I have known Islam on three continents before coming to the region where it was first revealed."
Robinson went on to say:
The most important word in that sentence, however, came at the end: By saying "revealed" rather than "born", Obama was acknowledging Islam as a divinely revealed faith.
How far we have come since the founding fathers!

Allyn

Re: Obama Says Islam a "revealed" Religion!

Post by Allyn » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:44 pm

Homer wrote:Quoted from an article by Eugene Robinson, columnist for the Washington Times:
...and being able to say, as the president did in Cairo, that "I have known Islam on three continents before coming to the region where it was first revealed."
Robinson went on to say:
The most important word in that sentence, however, came at the end: By saying "revealed" rather than "born", Obama was acknowledging Islam as a divinely revealed faith.
I have been turned off by Obama from the beginning so it didn't surprise me when he referred to the koran as the "holy koran"

Danny

Post by Danny » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:32 pm

Perhaps not so far. Many of the founding fathers were not Christians but Deists or were strongly influenced by Deism.

Additionally, some of the founding fathers seemed to have had a rather enlightened view toward followers of Islam. There is an article on the Library of Congress website entitled The Founding Fathers and Islam - Library Papers Show Early Tolerance for Muslim Faith which you can read here:
http://www.loc.gov/loc/lcib/0205/tolerance.html

Here is an excerpt:
In his seminal Letter on Toleration (1689), John Locke insisted that Muslims and all others who believed in God be tolerated in England. Campaigning for religious freedom in Virginia, Jefferson followed Locke, his idol, in demanding recognition of the religious rights of the "Mahamdan," the Jew and the "pagan." Supporting Jefferson was his old ally, Richard Henry Lee, who had made a motion in Congress on June 7, 1776, that the American colonies declare independence. "True freedom," Lee asserted, "embraces the Mahomitan and the Gentoo (Hindu) as well as the Christian religion."

In his autobiography, Jefferson recounted with satisfaction that in the struggle to pass his landmark Bill for Establishing Religious Freedom (1786), the Virginia legislature "rejected by a great majority" an effort to limit the bill's scope "in proof that they meant to comprehend, within the mantle of its protection, the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and Mahometan." George Washington suggested a way for Muslims to "obtain proper relief" from a proposed Virginia bill, laying taxes to support Christian worship. On another occasion, the first president declared that he would welcome "Mohometans" to Mount Vernon if they were "good workmen" (see page 96). Officials in Massachusetts were equally insistent that their influential Constitution of 1780 afforded "the most ample liberty of conscience … to Deists, Mahometans, Jews and Christians," a point that Chief Justice Theophilus Parsons resoundingly affirmed in 1810.
My blog: http://dannycoleman.blogspot.com

“Both read the Bible day and night, But thou read’st black where I read white.”
-- William Blake

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:45 pm

I think "revealed" can mean something other then divine revelation , it can even mean revealed by Satan therefore Obama had to be careful, very careful in his choice of words and in describing the Koran as Holy was a term he used for the bible and even the Talmud i believe in this speech.
Holy really means to be set apart which all these books are.

Return to “Islam”