Quran's Superiority to the Bible?

RFCA

Quran's Superiority to the Bible?

Post by RFCA » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:04 am

I'm having a discussion with a muslim apologist. He contended that the Quran is superior to the Bible.
One point he brought up was Biblical prophecies are hard to understand with their poetic language and all. Quranic prophecies are plainer. His challenge was..If God would send His word in the form of a prophecy, won't he declare it plainly so that people would know his will and thus respond accoridngly?

Your thoughts will be much appreciated.

TK

Re: Quran's Superiority to the Bible?

Post by TK » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:39 am

thats a pretty good question, i must admit.

TK

Jill

Post by Jill » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:45 am

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve

Post by steve » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:46 pm

The Muslim's argument would be sound, if we could assume that the purpose of prophetic predictions is that people living before the events could know in advance what will happen. That is what we would like for prophecy to do for us. However, the fulfillment of most prophecy was not usually understood until the fulfillment came. The prophecy thus served the benefit of those living in the age of its fulfillment—

"Now I tell you before it comes, that when it does come to pass, you may believe that I am He." John 13:19

""And now I have told you before it comes, that when it does come to pass, you may believe." John 14:29

Even then it was to be understandable only to the ones whom God would enlighten. Consider Daniel 12:4, 9-10, which speaks of the prophecy remaining opaque until the time of its fulfillment—and the qualifications of those who will "understand."
"But you, Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book until the time of the end; many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall increase...And he said, "Go your way, Daniel, for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end. Many shall be purified, made white, and refined, but the wicked shall do wickedly; and none of the wicked shall understand, but the wise shall understand."
Peter also makes this point in 1 Peter 1:10-12. Paul alludes to this in several passages (Rom.16:25-26/ 1 Cor.2:7-11/ Eph.3:4-7/ Col.1:26).

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:22 pm

Jesus did the same thing. He spoke in such a way that wasn't very easy to understand. I believe His purpose in this was a desire for relationship. God is not looking for mere slaves. He is looking, in a serious sense, for friends. God isn't asking us to obey Him simply b/c He's bigger than us. He's wants us to want Him. He wants us to love Him. Love is a pursuit. Jesus is a Way, not just an End. Christianity is a path, not just a destination.

steve

Post by steve » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:43 pm

Good answer, Matt!

RFCA

Post by RFCA » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:08 pm

Thanks for all the response!

Seems to me that when God does want a command/law to be obeyed He states it clearly in His word.
Prophecies on the other hand are meant to arouse expectations, raise hopes and rekindle interests among those who love the truth...and thus 'tempt' those whose heart is in pursuit of God. It's just like the lover/suitor who becomes more interested with his/her beloved, who never fails to keep him/her in suspense with mysteries.

God bless.

RFCA

Post by RFCA » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:14 pm

Jill wrote:If you've ever actually taken the time to look at a Quran (or Koran), you would be able to tell the difference on sight. The Quran is so beautiful and lucid. It has been worked on much. It may even compete with ancient Hindu writings in this regard. The Quran is not like the Tanakh in any way. And what is entitled the New Testament of Jesus Christ for the Jew, is just as unique. Though all three items, The Tanakh, The Quran, and The Testaments of Jesus Christ, involve the sons of Abraham, Isreal and Ishmeal cannot seem to agree. Even still.
Hi Jill,
So in what ways would you say that the Quran is beautiful and lucid? Is it because of the clarity and consistency of the general message, or the absence of seeming contradictions, or the literary style(s) used?

Return to “Islam”