Really would like some feedback.

Paul

Re: Really would like some feedback.

Post by Paul » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:28 pm

Michelle, Yes thank you for your response. You had me chuckling a little bit with how you tore the whole thing apart. I actually got that link from my Dad. He sent me the video and asked for a response via email... I think I will copy your post and send it to him. You did a far better critique than I could have done in such a short time. Thanks again.

mikew

Post by mikew » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:01 pm

Michelle, very keen observations.
Maybe you can become the semi-official video critic here.
Please visit my youtube channel -- http://youtube.com/@thebibledialogues
Also visit parablesofthemysteries.com

RND

Post by RND » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:19 am

Paul wrote:This is a video that is about 10 minutes long. If anyone has knowledge about this kind of thing and can respond I would be interested in what you had to say.

Thank you.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/toolbar/#topic=Fine Arts&url=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.youtube.com%252Fwatch%253Fv%253DG3i6UwVkP6M
Two things. To the Israelites it was never about "Sun" worship because whenever they entered the sanctuary their backs were facing east.

Eze 44:1 Then he brought me back the way of the gate of the outward sanctuary which looketh toward the east; and it [was] shut.

Eze 8:16 And he brought me into the inner court of the LORD'S house, and, behold, at the door of the temple of the LORD, between the porch and the altar, [were] about five and twenty men, with their backs toward the temple of the LORD, and their faces toward the east; and they worshipped the sun toward the east.

The second is that many of the names in the video for supposedly different gods are really different names for the same god. Mithra/Horus/Dionysus are just different names for the same god.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

kaufmannphillips

Post by kaufmannphillips » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:23 pm

RND wrote:
Mithra/Horus/Dionysus are just different names for the same god.
I'm curious how you demonstrate this claim.
========================
"The more something is repeated, the more it becomes an unexamined truth...." (Nicholas Thompson)
========================

RND

Post by RND » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:02 am

These "gods" shared many of the same attributes, stories surrounding their "births," and essentially are the same gods from different cultures.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa3.htm
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:50 am

RND wrote:These "gods" shared many of the same attributes, stories surrounding their "births," and essentially are the same gods from different cultures.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa3.htm
RND, that link you posted...did you post it as something you agree with? Is it, in your opinion, a scholarly piece of work?

RND

Post by RND » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:31 am

Michelle, I would characterize the link as simply as a basic simple overview. There are many books, web sites and periodicals that discuss the similarities between Mithra/Horus/Dionysus and the similarities between those gods and the birth of Christ as well as other gods of the pagan world.

In terms of stating that these god names are "just different names for the same god" I guess I should clarify what I meant by that. Obviously because of their various origins through different cultures they aren't "technically" the same gods. But all three actually share a number of similarities, especially in relation to the birth, life and death of Christ Jesus. Instead of saying "same" I should have said "similar."

However all these gods are the same in that they are pagan in origin. Hope that clears things up.

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

kaufmannphillips

Post by kaufmannphillips » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:22 pm

RND wrote:
In terms of stating that these god names are "just different names for the same god" I guess I should clarify what I meant by that. Obviously because of their various origins through different cultures they aren't "technically" the same gods. But all three actually share a number of similarities, especially in relation to the birth, life and death of Christ Jesus. Instead of saying "same" I should have said "similar."

However all these gods are the same in that they are pagan in origin. Hope that clears things up.
Is it your opinion that the three gods have a common origin, and are essentially the same god overlaid with minor cultural distinctives?
========================
"The more something is repeated, the more it becomes an unexamined truth...." (Nicholas Thompson)
========================

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:38 pm

RND wrote:Michelle, I would characterize the link as simply as a basic simple overview. There are many books, web sites and periodicals that discuss the similarities between Mithra/Horus/Dionysus and the similarities between those gods and the birth of Christ as well as other gods of the pagan world.

Hi RND,

I'm afraid I'm missing something in what you've written. Do you believe that the stories of the pagan gods are the basis for, or at least similar in origin to, many of the stories found in the gospels? That's what this video and the site you linked are trying to say. If that's what you believe, I must say that I'm really surprised.

RND

Post by RND » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:54 am

Michelle wrote:Hi RND,

I'm afraid I'm missing something in what you've written. Do you believe that the stories of the pagan gods are the basis for, or at least similar in origin to, many of the stories found in the gospels? That's what this video and the site you linked are trying to say. If that's what you believe, I must say that I'm really surprised.
You know Michelle, you'd certainly have a right to be surprised if I believed the way you characterized it. :D Fortunately I don't, so no worries! I see the stories in the Bible, especially the NT as 'clarifying' the truth of the God of Abraham. Isaac and Jacob. Let me see if I can explain.

A number of pagan gods are said to have been born on December 25th. Mithra, Horus, etc. Supposedly the same as with Jesus. But Jesus wasn't born December 25th. He was born in the fall, end of September/mid October. Day of Atonement/Feast of Tabernacles (Booths) time. So obviously, to me anyway, Jesus isn't patterned after pagan gods, pagan gods are patterned after pagan gods! While the ancient Israelites were busy forgetting about God and lusting after other gods, God had a time line that couldn't be forgotten.

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

Return to “Other”