Dealing with Abortion Approving Clergy

jzubo

Dealing with Abortion Approving Clergy

Post by jzubo » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:41 am

Dear Steve and Narrow Path Readers:

Recently, I was listening to a political radio talk show through the internet.
The moderator of the show was interviewing a 'clergyperson' who is trying to remove the religious stigma of abortion and sexuality.

Their web site, unfortunately, can be found at http://www.faithaloud.org/faith/index.php
(please note I am not promoting the distribution of this site at all).

In the commentary of the clergyperson during the talk show, when speaking about abortion, she mentioned the Bible prohibits murder, but in her opinion, abortion is not murder.

Wow, how can a so-called clergyperson declare that because, in her definition, abortion is not murder, it can somehow be justified? Is this the argument of 'mercykilling'? Is mercy killing or abortion condoned in the Bible at all? I can't find it.

As we know, the 10 commandments does talk about not taking life. Exodus 20:13 says, "You shall not kill."

My question for Steve and others today is, what does scripture, like Exodus 20:13, really mean when talking about killing or taking a life?
How can we argue for PRO-LIFE by using the scriptures?
What should our stance be as Christians on abortion and so-called mercy killing?

Please refer to the link below:
http://www.lifenews.com/2012/04/13/plan ... condemned/

John Z in Canada

steve7150

Re: Dealing with Abortion Approving Clergy

Post by steve7150 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:13 pm

What should our stance be as Christians on abortion and so-called mercy killing?

There are verses that say God knew us before we were in the womb or John the Baptist leapt for joy in the womb but not much specifically addressing abortion. I think it's more that we accept that God creates everything and we do not have the right to interfere with this creation order.
In Luke 1 Elizabeth's fetus is called "a son" and "a babe" and in Job 3.16 an unborn baby who died was called an infant that never saw light. So although there may not be a lot there is enough to indicate an unborn baby is a human being to God.
BTW some pro-choice people actually acknowledge that the fetus is a human being.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:33 am

My inadequately brief responses:
My question for Steve and others today is, what does scripture, like Exodus 20:13, really mean when talking about killing or taking a life?
The intentional, unjust killing of another human life. In a word: murder.
I would not do that, generally speaking.
As a Christian: It is wrong to intentionally and unjustly kill a human being. (See Matthew 15:19-20, Revelation 21:8 for some condemnation of murder.) A human fetus is a human being just as a human adolescent or human adult is a human being. That's not based on opinion nor any religious doctrine; it's just a biological fact. Therefore, it is wrong to intentionally and unjustly kill a human fetus. "Mercy killing" is a bit more complicated, I think.

That website is pathetic and very sad, imo.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:28 am

The writer of the anonymous letter to Diognetus, believed to have been written about 130 A.D., in describing the Christians' way of life, states in chapter 5:

[Christians] marry as do all others; they beget children; but they do not destroy their offspring.

The underlined words had they been translated literally, would read "but they do not cast away fetuses."
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

jarrod

Post by jarrod » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:35 pm

Steve made a good statement in a recent afternoon radio broadcast about one of the main distinctives of a Christian being that God is at the center of our life and not ourself. For me, that seems to be the main issue of abortion. A child is often viewed as a hinderance on an individuals or family's lifestyle as opposed to a blessing from the Lord. I think in ancient times it was not viewed as beneficial to have a female or crippled child and as a result many families would choose to destroy them -- a practice not found among Christians (per Homer's posted excerpt). Most people give examples of the extreme cases where abortion should be allowed (as in a case of rape), but then use the law to justify abortion for any reason. I just don't see it being our right to justify taking a life -- especially not guilty of any capital crime. I would rather leave those decisions to the Lord.

Return to “Other”